OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need New Crystal

Started by Rzrbac, January 14, 2017, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I would like to think I have a good ear for authentic sounding calls.  I am primarily a mouth call guy but I like to mix it up especially later in the season.  I have had two crystal calls over the years that I was fond of.  I like a Cherry Classic crystal and a Crystal Mistress. One of these calls I lost during a move and the other simply split right down the calling surface.  I have been looking at a Nasty Gal crystal by Jim Pollard or possibly a Lonzo's Yellowheart Crystal.  Anybody have any experience with these calls or recommendations.  I like a call with some good rasp on the back end and loud enough to carry the wind.  I know there are some call makers on here but I'm new to the site and haven't read thoroughly through a lot of previous posts. Thanks.

OHturkey85

I don't own a Lonzo Yellwheart crystal but a friend of mine does and is a great sounding call and you may want to look into a Jimmy Shaffers (Oak Ridge Calls) Mad Hen 2 it's a great crystal.

JLH

There's a new crystal call coming soon.....I'd wait a little bit before you buy anything...;)

jed clampett

davisd9

Loftis Crystal Screamer if you do not hunt in SC, if so then it does not work here and any other will work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

packmule

Dustin Jones makes a great crystal call.

Clardh

I don't think you can go wrong with the crystal calls you mentioned. I had a cherry classic crystal and I have played many of Hollarans Crystal mistress. In my opinion, crystal calls with wood sound boards and slate sound boards are not as high pitched as one with an aluminum sound board. So it depends on how high of a call do you want. I've killed many a turkey with both calls mentioned above. I now own two slates with aluminum sound boards ( Jimmy shaffers blue mahoe Crystal with aluminum and a Hanks signature zebra wood Crystal with aluminum. Both of these calls are a little higher pitched than the woodhaven or hollaran). All of the calls mentioned have great rollover because they are great calls. It just depends on what your looking for.  Buy any of those mentioned and try different strikers. That is a less expensive way to make your one call turn into many calls! 

Good Luck!

Bowguy

Quote from: OHturkey85 on January 14, 2017, 07:58:49 PM
I don't own a Lonzo Yellwheart crystal but a friend of mine does and is a great sounding call and you may want to look into a Jimmy Shaffers (Oak Ridge Calls) Mad Hen 2 it's a great crystal.
Idk why that call isn't talked about more lately. The Mad Hen 2 as well as the already mentioned Halloran crystal mistress are two of my favorite crystals. Great calls

MikeStaten

Schaffers mad hen 1 is one of the best crystals out there as is his blue mahoe.  Lonzos crystal in paduak pot is also outstanding. 

Rzrbac

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Many I've never heard of. I like the idea of crystal over aluminum, that intrigues me as my second favorite surface is aluminum. Keep em coming, a lot more for me to consider.  Thanks.

Kwgoke

I'll echo Jimmy Schaffers Blue Mahoe Crystal and Mad Hen! Honestly I would just call Jimmy up and tell him what you're looking for. That man knows how to make a great turkey call and I know he could fix you up!

Also mentioned above and worth repeating, Halloran's Crystal Mistress and Metal Mouth are both outstanding!

Rzrbac

What can a guy expect to pay for a blue mahoe crystal? Is it the wood that makes the sound or the design of the pot?

3bailey3

I just got a Hanks crystal over aluminum,love it, raspy

wvmntnhick

I recently traded a Schaffer blue mahoe for a Lonzo crystal acrylic. Personally, while I think the blue mahoe was a much better looking call, the sound of the Lonzo is better to my ear. The Schaffer was great with a Lyman tulipwood. Just a bit higher pitched than I like to run. It could've been me though.

Jgarrett

Quote from: packmule on January 14, 2017, 10:16:41 PM
Dustin Jones makes a great crystal call.
People forget about him, I have a walnut crystal from him that is as good as it gets
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida