OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke/load combo 11-87 12 gauge

Started by buzzardroost, December 30, 2016, 06:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzardroost

Just bought an 11-87 12 gauge with 26" barrel. I have some 3.5" Hevi 7's and a Carlson Extended ported 665 to try. What other suggestions can you make? I'm a big HW 7 fan in my 20 gauge but wasn't sure about that for the 12. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

.650 sumtoy for the hevi 7s or 6s.

Very few guys can get the 12 ga heavyweight to shoot due to the rigidity of the flight control wad.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: buzzardroost on December 30, 2016, 06:55:58 PM
Just bought an 11-87 12 gauge with 26" barrel. I have some 3.5" Hevi 7's and a Carlson Extended ported 665 to try. What other suggestions can you make? I'm a big HW 7 fan in my 20 gauge but wasn't sure about that for the 12. Thanks

As you may know, I did original work with Rochelle Poore, the design engineer for Federal on those shells. We learned a lot about the Flitecontrol Wad and that shot charge. Here's the choke that worked/works the best with those shells http://allaboutshooting.com/products/wrights-rem-choke-12-gauge-turkey-choke-326
You can get some fantastic patterns with them and that gun. You also have the optimum length in the 26" barrel. It does everything you'll need for maximum performance. I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore before patterning http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel It will be helpful to you.
Please let us know how everything works for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gamblinman

1187 Super Magnum. Federal Heavyweight 7's. TruLock choke for the Heavyweight loads. I shoot the same choke and load in my 870's, and a slight variation in my SP-10. 15 to 20 birds a year fall to one of these combos.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Old Gobbler

To echo many others opinions.  , The federal hw 7 is about the most trouble free, consistent , affordable  and accessible..... higher performance turkey load out there these days - there's a number of good chokes that will make it perform with authority out there
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Greg Massey

Quote from: Old Gobbler on December 31, 2016, 08:00:21 AM
To echo many others opinions.  , The federal hw 7 is about the most trouble free, consistent , affordable  and accessible..... higher performance turkey load out there these days - there's a number of good chokes that will make it perform with authority out there
x2

Go G.W.

Quote from: allaboutshooting on December 30, 2016, 08:12:16 PM

As you may know, I did original work with Rochelle Poore, the design engineer for Federal on those shells. We learned a lot about the Flitecontrol Wad and that shot charge. Here's the choke that worked/works the best with those shells http://allaboutshooting.com/products/wrights-rem-choke-12-gauge-turkey-choke-326
You can get some fantastic patterns with them and that gun. You also have the optimum length in the 26" barrel. It does everything you'll need for maximum performance. I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore before patterning http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel It will be helpful to you.

Thanks,
Clark

What exit diameter was used on the wrights choke? Thanks

I'm shooting an Indian creek with 3.5" longbeard #6's out of mine and it does well, but always looking to try a new load and choke.

wvnut3

Federal heavyweight 7 in both 3 and 3 1/2 shot lights out in my 11-87 with either the trulock choke made for the heavyweight 7 or a .650 sumtoy. Lee

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Go G.W. on January 03, 2017, 10:24:44 AM

Thanks,
Clark

I'm shooting an Indian creek with 3.5" longbeard #6's out of mine and it does well, but always looking to try a new load and choke.

The "Wright's #3" has an exit diameter of .650. http://allaboutshooting.com/products/wrights-rem-choke-12-gauge-turkey-choke-326 It's an exceptionally well made choke tube.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Go G.W.

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 03, 2017, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: Go G.W. on January 03, 2017, 10:24:44 AM

Thanks,
Clark

The "Wright's #3" has an exit diameter of .650. http://allaboutshooting.com/products/wrights-rem-choke-12-gauge-turkey-choke-326 It's an exceptionally well made choke tube.

Thanks,
Clark

After reading Wright's description of their chokes, should I get the #2 for 3.5" with 1 7/8 oz shot? Their description says the #3 is for 3" shells. Thanks again.

buzzardroost

Which Wrights with 3.5" Fed HW 7's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Can someone post a picture of these impressive patterns from the heavyweight 7's in the 12 ga offering?

It's only a 1 7/8 ounce load in the 3.5" and I don't know anyone who has been able to exceed 170 pellets in a 10" circle with them.  I've personally shot the tru-lock heavyweight choke, the carlsons heavyweight choke and the Sumtoy through a 26" bore polished 870 super mag.  The best I ever achieved was 120 pellets in the 10 which is no where close to acceptable in my book. 

I'd really like to see some quantifiable data (patterns) in exchange for anecdotal statements about the performance of this load.  I'd personally prefer to have 15 g/cc 7s going at my birds than 12 g/cc hevi-shot and would love to get the results some of you guys are describing if it's achievable.

buzzardroost

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on January 03, 2017, 08:52:12 PM
Can someone post a picture of these impressive patterns from the heavyweight 7's in the 12 ga offering?

It's only a 1 7/8 ounce load in the 3.5" and I don't know anyone who has been able to exceed 170 pellets in a 10" circle with them.  I've personally shot the tru-lock heavyweight choke, the carlsons heavyweight choke and the Sumtoy through a 26" bore polished 870 super mag.  The best I ever achieved was 120 pellets in the 10 which is no where close to acceptable in my book. 

I'd really like to see some quantifiable data (patterns) in exchange for anecdotal statements about the performance of this load.  I'd personally prefer to have 15 g/cc 7s going at my birds than 12 g/cc hevi-shot and would love to get the results some of you guys are describing if it's achievable.
Hopefully someone will chime in. I've got a Wrights 650 on the way so I'll commit to deep cleaning and testing at 40 with the HW 7's ands few other loads. It does concern me that there's 1/2 ounce less shot than Hevi 7's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvnut3

Here you go. I knew i still had a pic of one. Lee