OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Airguns

Started by wvmntnhick, December 21, 2016, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Anyone here use an airgun regularly, periodically or otherwise? I've had several over the years. Gotten rid of most but managed to keep one. Had an RWS/Diana 54 years ago that my father gave me as a gift. Loaned it to my grandfather and he left it loaded for an extended period of time and the spring got too weak to be reliable. It's now back with my father. Had a crossman G1 extreme that I ended up giving dad to kill pests around the house up there. Only one I managed to keep was my Benjamin Trail NP22. Anyway, I was recently asked to go shoot some pests around someone's house and was wondering if anyone has noticed a particular pellet they seem to like for the 22 caliber airguns. I've only found one that was remotely accurate but these things generally take several hundred rounds to get settled in and I'm not even close yet. I know it's not turkey related but I'm super bored right now and was wanting to strike up any conversation I could. Thanks ahead of time.

chadly

I shoot a .177 but this is the round I shoot.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Premier-Hollow-Point-Pellet/dp/B006O74XQ0

When I was shopping pellets I searched youtube pretty thorough.  I found these to be the most accurate and the most consistent in speeds through the chronograph.  I've shoot mostly small varmints in the yard or at least used.  They are all gone now. 

TerryLNanny

About 3yrs. ago I got into airguns again, PCP air rifles to be specific. Very accurate, powerful and very expensive. You have to fill them with a air tank. Anyway JSB pellets are very good, though you want find them at Walmart. You'll probably have to go online.
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

JLH

I have a pcp gun as well...a .25 Cal marauder

The pcp guns are ridiculously accurate.I shoot the jsb dome head pellets....head shots on squirrels out to 40 or so is the norm.

I've heard the recoil in the spring piston air guns will shake the scope, making it off its mark...you need to make sure your scope is made for air guns....sometimes a quality scope will make a gun a whole lot better.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: TerryLNanny on December 21, 2016, 06:21:44 PM
About 3yrs. ago I got into airguns again, PCP air rifles to be specific. Very accurate, powerful and very expensive. You have to fill them with a air tank. Anyway JSB pellets are very good, though you want find them at Walmart. You'll probably have to go online.

Yeah, I'm not into it enough to get the higher end pcp's just yet. Or ever for the most part. As for the pellets, I know exactly what you're talking about. Had ordered some from pyramid air yesterday and they should be here tomorrow. Ordered several types from them trying to find what the gun wants.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: chadly on December 21, 2016, 06:15:43 PM
I shoot a .177 but this is the round I shoot.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Premier-Hollow-Point-Pellet/dp/B006O74XQ0

When I was shopping pellets I searched youtube pretty thorough.  I found these to be the most accurate and the most consistent in speeds through the chronograph.  I've shoot mostly small varmints in the yard or at least used.  They are all gone now.
Glad the crosman work for you. Personally, I've found they're quite inconsistent. Some fit extremely tight while others practically fall down the barrel. They're fine for punching holes in paper but I've not been pleased with overall accuracy.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: JLH on December 21, 2016, 10:17:28 PM
I have a pcp gun as well...a .25 Cal marauder

The pcp guns are ridiculously accurate.I shoot the jsb dome head pellets....head shots on squirrels out to 40 or so is the norm.

I've heard the recoil in the spring piston air guns will shake the scope, making it off its mark...you need to make sure your scope is made for air guns....sometimes a quality scope will make a gun a whole lot better.
Springers will ruin a scope pretty quick. I'm using the junk one they sent with it when it breaks, I'll get another one to replace it. Had a good scope on my old Diana and it wrecked it pretty fast. it ended up wearing 2-3 others over the years but I'd used that gun quite often over about a 13-15 year stretch. As for shaking the scope, there's more to it than that. Scopes are designed for recoil going towards the rear. In a springer the recoil operates violently in the opposite direction. That's why they trash them so often. You'd not think something like that would happen but it does and often. I've looked at the marauder but will probably end up with its younger brother in the Discovery down the road. Put a muzzle break on it to quiet it down and it'll be good to go with an air pump. Then I'm not reliant on an outside air source. I'd love to shoot a marauder sometime though. Only PCP I've shot was a high end anschutz at the outdoor show and it was amazing to say the least.

renegade19

Not entirely on the subject, but I inherited this 1951 Sheridan Silver Streak.  As far as I know, it's 100% original.  Still shoots very well.  Thought you'd get a kick out of seeing it.

wvmntnhick

Always liked the looks of those. Wanted one years ago but it never happened. Got the Diana and never looked anywhere else. Those were pretty decent guns from what I've gathered from others.

lumberjack

You need a Red Ryder repeater with a compass in the stock!
Just make sure you have eye protection!! Merry Christmas Mr. Kitzmiller!!

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: lumberjack on December 22, 2016, 11:47:09 PM
You need a Red Ryder repeater with a compass in the stock!
Just make sure you have eye protection!! Merry Christmas Mr. Kitzmiller!!

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk
Wel, mine doesn't have a compass but I've got a gps that I could substitute if need be. And merry Christmas to you as well man.

HFultzjr

If you or your club has access to buy from CMP, they have some great deals. I teach youth air rifle shooting/safety at our local club and this is where we get ours. I have used everything from the low end to the high end. Boy, do the high end models spoil you. Great trigger, etc. You just breath too heavy and they go off. You should be able to get a decent one for 3-400 dollars. They are not the most powerful, but will shoot 1 hole, 10 shot strings at 10 meters.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/

P.S. The Daisy M877 are great. Very accurate. We use RWS Diabolo pellets. Even their basic is a good pellet.

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-22958%2B4294965319%3FNp%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visible%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D24%26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%26Ntpr%3D1

TerryLNanny

This is 80yrds. with my Cricket on a 5.5" target. 12 shots.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

fountain2

My wife just gave me a gamo whisper fusion mach 1 for Christmas.  Pretty nifty little gun.  It's a .22 cal and a little louder than I was expecting.  It shoots good.  She got me the 14.3 gr Crossman pellets, but I plan to get the pba platinum soon

wvmntnhick

Quote from: fountain2 on December 24, 2016, 02:42:37 PM
My wife just gave me a gamo whisper fusion mach 1 for Christmas.  Pretty nifty little gun.  It's a .22 cal and a little louder than I was expecting.  It shoots good.  She got me the 14.3 gr Crossman pellets, but I plan to get the pba platinum soon
I'd be curious to know how well it shoots the PBA stuff. Rarely does a pellet that light shoot well from a gun. They sizzle for sure but generally don't group well. A lot of it has to do with breaking the sound barrier but it doesn't appear as if the 22 cal will have the same problem based on the literature. Good luck with it.