turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cerakote

Started by Will, December 17, 2016, 10:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I have an 870 that from years of use has a faded paint job. I was thinking of a Cerakote finish in a camo type pattern. Has anyone ever had this applied to their guns and if so were you pleased?
Thanks

marshboy

Will,
I was in the same situation you are in with the same gun.
I sent my 870 to Ricco at Black Dove Customs late last summer.
Now this is my dedicated turkey gun, I don't use it for any of my fall wingshooting, so as of yet I can't comment on the durability of the finish, but the pattern Ricco created and the color scheme look awesome.
It's got to hold up better than my paint job.
Greg

wvmntnhick

Do it and don't look back. You'll soon be glad you did.

Will

Thanks guys. I think this is the way to go. I use this gun for waterfowl and turkey. Even sika deer drives and it's been through a lot. I'm looking to buy a Browning 450 BLR and may even do that in Cerakote as well. Stuff seems pretty hard core.

born2hunt

Quote from: wvmntnhick on December 18, 2016, 06:51:47 PM

Any chance you could throw up a pic.  I'm interested as well.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: born2hunt on December 18, 2016, 09:24:14 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on December 18, 2016, 06:51:47 PM

Any chance you could throw up a pic.  I'm interested as well.
Only thing I've had coated so far was a handgun that I carry often enough. It has been through its share of abuse and has yet to see any wear on the cerakoted frame. I like it a lot. Was going to get my sx2 done but then decided that it was no longer a turkey gun and replaced it with an older 835. My 308 is going to see some cerekote soon enough though and I'll get it on here when that happens.

born2hunt

I meant to quote Marshboy on that.  I wasn't paying attention to my post.  :z-dizzy:
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

marshboy

born2hunt
I tried to post a photo earlier today, but the file size was too large and I don't know how to resize it.
If you want to send me your cell # via pm, I'd be happy to text you the pics.
Greg

deerhunt1988

Quote from: marshboy on December 18, 2016, 06:30:02 AM

Now this is my dedicated turkey gun, I don't use it for any of my fall wingshooting, so as of yet I can't comment on the durability of the finish, but the pattern Ricco created and the color scheme look awesome.

I sent my 870 to Ricco a few months ago, this is the result:

She is a beauty! Can't wait to take her back to the spring woods..

JK Spurs

Cerakote seems to be the way to go....I'm going to get my Vinci done before spring.
I like my turkey well peppered

Dr Juice

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 14, 2017, 11:50:39 AM
Quote from: marshboy on December 18, 2016, 06:30:02 AM

She is a beauty! Can't wait to take her back to the spring woods..

That's a beauty for sure. I hope it shoots as well as it looks. Pls share some patterning pics when done. Best of luck with it.

Will

Thanks for the picture. I'm thinking this is the way to go.

paboxcall

Does the cerakote finish chip easily in corners, like around the pistol grip?  Regular paint dip jobs seem to chip easily in these locations.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

FullChoke

I had my Browning BPS cerakoted 8 years ago and it is tough as nails. I have no chipping anywhere.

BTW, if you want to have your gun done with a camo pattern, be aware that it is a lot more work than a single color. Each individual color will have to have it's own template cut, adhered, sprayed and baked. I have seen some terrific digital camo patterns, but I know that there was a ton of labor in achieving it.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: paboxcall on January 14, 2017, 07:28:40 PM
Does the cerakote finish chip easily in corners, like around the pistol grip?  Regular paint dip jobs seem to chip easily in these locations.
Once it's on, it's on. No chipping and unlike the dips that allow a gun to rust from the inside out, this won't. It's nice.