turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recent post taken wrong.

Started by quavers59, December 13, 2016, 10:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I did read a few replys to my post about a disabled turkey hunter. Read on to get the full picture now that I have some extra time today. I have talked to this guy twice--both long talks. The first time was 15-16 years ago on the railroad bed between Stewart State Forest and Rt. 208. It was mid-May when I went with someone to this area. During the talk- this guy said that he sometimes (thumped) 2 gobblers from his drivers seat. That is not legal in New York State! The Spring limit is 2 gobblers and only one can be taken a day. He also told me that he hunts nearly every day in May. It is anyones guess how many toms he has taken during each May--3-4-5--more?!
    So when this truck pulled up behind during last years 3rd week of May-- I remembered the man and his statement about often thumping 2 Spring toms in a day. He told me that he was told not to hunt that railroad bed anymore--(DEC)??  Not many hunters were out that 3rd week of May and this guy told me he drove in to a few fields.   Stewart State Forest has locked gates on its 7,000 acres. Disabled hunters drive in and everyone else walks or bikes. No problem with that as my own Brother in law is a diabled hunter and he would never drive down into fields. Not stirring the pot- just concerned about lower turkey numbers and my fellow turkey hunters.

dejake

crow

Wow, you just keep digging your hole deeper and deeper.

I would be willing to bet this other hunter would be glad to give up all of his special handicap privileges to be able to walk and hunt turkeys like so many of us are able to do

now your accusing him of poaching and  lowering the turkey population at this area, based on what facts?
in your words (based on a 16year old conversation) ----"it is anyone's guess how many toms he has taken"------ did you ever think he might be hunting the whole month of may because it's probably difficult to shoot a turkey parked in a field on hard hunted public ground

or maybe being handicapped he just likes getting out to the woods to hear a gobble, crows and owls in the spring time

you have probably done more damage to the turkey population to this area with all your posts about this spot than this other hunter could have done for another 16 years

unreal

Bowguy

Quote from: crow on December 13, 2016, 12:02:03 PM

I would be willing to bet this other hunter would be glad to give up all of his special handicap privileges to be able to walk and hunt turkeys like so many of us are able to do

now your accusing him of poaching and  lowering the turkey population at this area, based on what facts?
in your words (based on a 16year old conversation) ----"it is anyone's guess how many toms he has taken"------ did you ever think he might be hunting the whole month of may because it's probably difficult to shoot a turkey parked in a field on hard hunted public ground

or maybe being handicapped he just likes getting out to the woods to hear a gobble, crows and owls in the spring time

you have probably done more damage to the turkey population to this area with all your posts about this spot than this other hunter could have done for another 16 years

unreal

Amen!

GlockGirl

I still say if he is legal leave him alone. If you SEE him doing something illegal call the game warden. None of us like to be harassed when hunting and I bet he feels the same way. We all need to share the woods and we should respect each other. Rather than use a public forum to gang up on this guy why not just give him some space so he can hunt at his level in peace.

Can't we all just get along?

hs strut

ok he said he has taken two from the seat of the truck. any proof if not it could vary easily just be an old man embellishing the truth. whether its right or wrong alot of hunters have stretched the truth some. otherwise just leave him alone.
may god bless the ethical and responsible hunters and to everybody kill a big one.  jerry

BowBendr

True....just a little look on the inter-webs show a high amount of searching traffic for that area, quite a few that come back to this forum....OG gets a ton of views from people that have no intentions of posting here....I wouldn't compound it.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Bowguy on December 13, 2016, 12:18:47 PM

unreal

Amen!
amen x10
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

DumpTruckTurkey

isnt there already a thread about this???

Greg Massey

Yes, let the guy hunt...stop crying about how he hunts..If you ever break a arm or a leg, you will see how hard it is to be handicap for several weeks...so leave the guy alone...just move and hunt around him...

tomstopper

Quote from: Greg Massey on December 14, 2016, 10:10:04 AM
Yes, let the guy hunt...stop crying about how he hunts..If you ever break a arm or a leg, you will see how hard it is to be handicap for several weeks...so leave the guy alone...just move and hunt around him...
:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:

GobbleNut

I have to say that I am a bit surprised at the responses to this topic.  Although I agree that disabled hunters should be allowed a certain amount of leeway in terms of regulations, they should still be expected to follow the rules and regulations established by law. 

Most certainly, no one should be accused of illegalities based on suspicion without foundation, but at the same time, if someone is clearly violating the law, it makes no difference to me if they are disabled or not.  To me, Quaver is indicating that the individual in question is knowingly breaking the law.  If that is the case, regardless of his disability, his actions should not be condoned. 

In this specific case, if there are laws/regulations in place that this individual is breaking, whether knowingly or otherwise, he should be reported, regardless of his physical disability.  Having empathy for someone's physical condition should not translate into a tolerance of law-breaking on their part.   

renegade19

I really don't have a dog in this fight but since im not in a deer stand right now, I'll add my .02
There are disabled hunters and then there are "disabled" hunters.  I know a guy who kills monster deer every year and who has been popped for a variety of infractions while hunting who gets special permits near where I live.  This entitles him to ride a 4 wheeler into public areas that are otherwise a very long and nasty trek to access.  Frankly, you basically couldn't get in and getting a 200lb + buck out would be impossible. He's abused this to the point of coming close to losing his privileges.  This guy is about my age (early 50's) and is no more disabled than I am.  Why his SSI scam hasn't been busted is another story.  Anyway, IF it's a guy like him, then I can see the anger directed at truck dude.  But, IF the guy in the truck is legitimately laid up then he pretty much gets a free pass from me and help if I could offer it.  If he's facing special challenges, then hats off to him and have at it boy.  I'll find another spot to hunt.  Rant over.  Peace! 

J.D. Shellnut

This right here! Kind of like a cop letting someone go for speeding. Over the limit is over the limit but you got to look at how far over the limit and the reason.
60% of the time it works every time!

Neill_Prater

I have been very, very fortunate to have good health my whole life. I sympathize with others who are handicapped. My own brother was partially paralyzed for most of his life after breaking his neck in a car accident.

That said, I certainly agree with renegade19. Not all "handicapped" people are equal in their limitations. Depending upon the criteria used in your individual state, one might qualify as  being "handicapped" when in truth, they are no more disabled in their ability to get in the woods than I am. You don't have to go any further than the local Walmart parking lot to see my point. Lots of handicapped parking permits. Some really need them, others get around better than I do.