turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rare Double Beard from Alabama

Started by BOFF, April 06, 2011, 08:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

As everyone knows we don't have any birds in Alabama, so they are all rare here, or at least I look at taking turkeys that way. Ever notice it doesn't seem to matter how many turkeys we battle our wits with, it never seems enough? And to make it even better,I took my 4th of the season yesterday, a double beard!! WOOHOO!!! I knew he was a wide paintbrush looking tom, and have been after him and his buddy who stay together for about the last week, but the double beard was a surprise upon visiting the downed bird.

Just like this whole fairy tale of a season so far, ol double beard was just a gift from above. I didn't do any fancy calling, pull out any special calls, or perform any special shoot through 1 inch openings with him on the run. Just a simple right time, right place, all the stars aligned, I happen to be there hunt.   :)  I did move on him twice, and the second time got caught moving. Fortunately for me, I saw him and his buddy before they saw me. I had Henrietta out, which helped as well, thanks again TRKYHTR (Joe Slaton). I  was able to get a my gun up before they got too spooky with an ugly bush sitting in the middle of ground which was only fertile enough to grow rocks, let alone a bush as big as me.  ;D  I had to wait for the birds to get separated, and I had to quickly decide on which bird to shoot. His buddy had a longer beard by at least an inch, and I couldn't get a good look at the spurs in the limited time offered. Something about those wider beards crank my tractor, and made my trigger finger itchy.  Needless to say I'm pleased, though had I know he was a younger bird, I would have been tempted to let him pass for another year or two. Too late now though, as he won't grow any bigger.

I've been talking to several of my buddies and wife about this year and the amazingly stupid, but simple hunts so far. It seems we only get a few of these every so often in our lives, and I've had it happen 3 of the 4 hunts with myself and with my buddy, before this hunt THIS YEAR. I was kidding around, stating if it happened again, I would be getting worried, thinking I've used all my hunts up, and my time must be getting near the end. Well it happened again this hunt. So, I have to ask you, are you ready if your life ended today? Are you going to heaven or hell? I know in my heart and have experienced it myself though the years, the Love of Jesus, and his salvation. If you don't have your life in order, and your not ready to die, I beg of you to simply accept the free gift of salvation from Jesus Christ. If you don't know how, pm me, visit the devotional prayer board, ask a pastor, friend, but find the time to do it before it's too late. I just feel it upon my heart to post this, and how I've been spoken to the last several months.

Thanks to my Lord and Savior for my salvation, having the land to hunt and manage, and to my wife and daughter who support me in all I do. Thanks to OG and the many friends I've made here, and all the friends I have who share in the passion and excitement of chasing these birds. May we have many more together, Lord willing!!

God Bless,
David B.

God Bless,
David B.

sugarray

AMEN.

Thank you David for sharing your wonderful hunts and devotion to the Lord.  It is an inspiration this morning.  You were blessed with a great bird. 

thank you

Raymond

hookedspur

:thanks: for sharing your Blessing with us and keep whackin em
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

bowhunter84

Quote from: sugarray on April 06, 2011, 08:35:48 AM
AMEN.

Thank you David for sharing your wonderful hunts and devotion to the Lord.  It is an inspiration this morning.  You were blessed with a great bird. 

thank you

Raymond
:agreed:

and congrats on the bird :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

LX_Trkyhntr

Congrats on a GREAT bird!!

Thank you for being willing to share your faith with others!! :jesus-cross: 

I am ready if today is my last day, Jesus Christ is my Lord!

Thanks for posting David!

LX_Trkyhntr aka. Stephan Richardson
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

busta biggun

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on April 06, 2011, 09:05:19 AM
Congrats on a GREAT bird!!

Thank you for being willing to share your faith with others!! :jesus-cross: 

I am ready if today is my last day, Jesus Christ is my Lord!

Thanks for posting David!

LX_Trkyhntr aka. Stephan Richardson

:agreed:

Muskie03

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

JVA54

Hognutz

Congrats on the beautiful bird, David. That is a story of insiration, love of Our Lord, and a great turkey thrown in for good measure. You are truly blessed, and it is with great pleasure that I call you my friend..Enjoy the rest of your season..Mike  :cross2:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

vaturkey

Thanks Boff ! Very well said & congrats on a great gobbler . :icon_thumright:

:newmascot:
Vaturkey

Basser69

Reloader

Beretta686

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

TURKEYSLAYER101

Beautiful bird! Congrats!  :icon_thumright:

TURKEYSLAYER 101
Some people hear voices in their heads. I hear turkeys!!!!