turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet mouthpiece preferences

Started by KentuckyHeadhunter, December 11, 2016, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

What do you like the most?  Ivory, Delrin, Corian, Buffalo horn, etc.....  I've always heard the mouthpiece makes more of a difference than the wood type.  Just curious what most prefer if they were to have a call custom made. 
Second question.....what would be your ultimate combination of wood and mouthpiece material?

I reckon I would lean toward ivory MP and African blackwood just for today.   :OGani:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

davisd9

I like buffalo horn mouthpieces. I would also go with ABW. I also have a cocobolo that runs great!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

The Woodsman

With ivory the way it is I will probably have to try a buffalo mouthpiece some time

KentuckyHeadhunter

How is the new "alternative ivory" also?
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

mgm1955

Haven't tried alternative but a couple of makers have told me it is as good or better than ivory. Don't think you'd go wrong with either ivory or horn. I like ABW and Bois de rose as woods. Lots of good wood choices, really becomes personal preference.

Crawdad

Obviously Ivory is becoming out of the question & I have made several out of Alternative Ivory and I sure like it,as well as Buffalo horn & Acrylic . Now can I tell the difference? With my being hard of hearing, No I can't.

ol bob

The hole size and outside dia. makes more diff.  than its made from.

antnye

ive turned a few alternative ivory mouthpieces lately. Sounds good and easy to work with. Just smells like suntan oil when turning it. Lol.

mmclain

Very little or no difference in solid material stems. More on how well one takes care to drill properly and do a complete job when sanding and finishing the stem. 

crow

I prefer the shape of a wing bone mouthpiece and like it better than my trumpet mouthpieces.

I have been thinking about giving Mr. Buice a call to see about mailing him a wing bone M.P. to put in one of his screw in inserts

I would also be curious to try buffalo horn or imitation ivory shaped like a wing bone mouthpiece in a trumpet

M Sharpe

Quote from: crow on December 14, 2016, 12:39:38 PM
I prefer the shape of a wing bone mouthpiece and like it better than my trumpet mouthpieces.

I have been thinking about giving Mr. Buice a call to see about mailing him a wing bone M.P. to put in one of his screw in inserts

I would also be curious to try buffalo horn or imitation ivory shaped like a wing bone mouthpiece in a trumpet

Mr. Billy already makes a flat mouthpiece for his trumpets.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

crow

Thanks, I will give him a call to get set up with one

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: crow on December 16, 2016, 10:45:42 AM
Thanks, I will give him a call to get set up with one
I have a set 1 thru 4 or 5 and like them. Also have a screw in wingbone or 2 .I'd still send him your Wingbone and have him make you one just for something different.

blackfalcon

A wingbone mouthpiece will definitely sound different than a drilled and reamed mouthpiece, worth it if you have the right hen bone for what you want the call to do.   

blackfalcon

For mouth piece and wood combos it is all relative..Ivory,Alternative Ivory, Buffalo horn, Acrylic, Bone all sound very similar..from 50 yards away I doubt a listener could tell them apart by sound. This set of calls is all alternative materials and plays great. I've killed turkeys with Ivory, Buffalo Horn and Acrylic, I know the other materials would have probably worked just as well. My favorite woods are hard dense woods, Snakewood, Desert Ironwood, Zircote, Texas Ebony, Rosewoods, etc but am also a fan of acrylics.