OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Walnut and Blued

Started by longislandloco, December 02, 2016, 02:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longislandloco

Down to just two shotguns now, a Wingmaster and a Browning BPS , they cover all this old man's needs. Anyone else still a old school wood/blued steel turkey gunner?
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

trefalga

I have the BPS...it's hands down my favorite gun...I am considering having it dipped though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: longislandloco on December 02, 2016, 02:35:26 PM
Down to just two shotguns now, a Wingmaster and a Browning BPS , they cover all this old man's needs. Anyone else still a old school wood/blued steel turkey gunner?
I've always liked blued guns with good wood. I bought Doris a 20 gauge BPS last year that has some great wood and Browning's very deep blue finish.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

backwater

Headed out dove and snipe hunting in the morning.  1953 Browning Auto 5  in 12 gauge for the dove field and a sweet little 20 gauge Auto 5 for toting around the marsh.  I'm just not a big fan of the new "plastic" guns. 

the Ward

I like both. I have some beautiful blue and wood guns and some synthetic/camo  guns.  My favorite go to shotgun though is my Vinci. Much easier to break down and clean after riding in the bottom of the yak during waterfowl season and no worry's about rust/scratching up the finish. Turkey season I put the steady grip and ff3 on with my Sumtoy .650 and it's lights out for mr. tom. It's like a Swiss army knife I tell ya! I also have a Browning bps upland that I carried afield for 20 years and has taken a lot of game and still looks beautiful and shoots great. I love it's engraved receiver and very nice walnut stocks. My son took his first ducks with that gun, what great memories!

Happy

I appreciate a good looking  wooden stock as much as anyone. However all of my hunting guns are synthetic. Reason being that I am hard on stuff. I like to go into rough places and hunt. My deer rifle looks like it has been used to drive tomato stakes as does my turkey gun. I don't care how they look as long as they hit where I am aiming and function reliably.  Looks don't put meat in my freezer.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

WildTigerTrout

All my turkey specific shotguns are either camo or synthetic stocked with matte finishes.  I do own a 1959 vintage Winchester Model 12 field grade 12 ga. with a 28" fixed modified choke.  It is in great shape and reflects old time quality that seems to be missing today.  REAL black walnut stocks, forged solid steel parts and highly polished SHINY blued steel.  It's a great firearm and my pride and joy.  One of these days I plan on bagging a big old gobbler with her. ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

cluck

Wood and blued does still kill old gobblers!!! This is my list. My number one go to turkey buster is a toss up between a remington 870 express 12 gauge or my 11-87 20 gauge. The 11-87 is only two years old and is plastic and camo. The 870 has killed more turkeys than I can count. I also have a bps 10 gauge that just gathers dust. It's killed a few toms but I don't lift weights so it stays home. Have a remington 11-48 12 gauge fixed choke that's a stay home shotgun. Have used a few others. Mostly use lead because it still kills. I do it the old way and don't like change. I try to pass it all down to the boys and Grandkids including the hunting part!!!      Cluck

TennesseeJed

Walnut and blued steel for me as well, or at least until my tightwad nature loosens a wee bit and I buy one of those tricked out Mossberg camo turkey thugs.

MK M GOBL

Not my turkey gun but I do have the first shotgun my Dad bought me as a kid. I was turning 12 that year and Dad said if I helped him run the trap line that year he would get me a shotgun for Christmas. When Dad asked me what I wanted, what would any 12 year old say "I want one like yours Dad". Well not wanting me to miss out on hunting season Dad bought me the gun early and I got to use it that fall, still remember shooting a mallard drake as my first taken with it. Dad did take the gun and wrapped it up for so I got it for Christmas. He had found me a 20ga SxS, used but made no difference to me much later I found out what Dad had actually bought me... It was a Fox 20ga and I have no idea what Dad paid for it back then or if it's value is what it is today but it is still used for pheasants, grouse, ducks and geese at times. Dad has since passed on and my 20 sits right next to Dad's in the safe. Those old blued and wood guns still hold a lot of value and I'm not talking dollars.

MK M GOBL