turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Automatic Turkey gun

Started by kyturkeyhunter4, November 19, 2016, 11:57:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

Looking to buy me a new automatic turkey gun for this spring I was just wondering what you guys think the best automatic gun is. I'm looking to keep it under $1000

Double B

I like Beretta. Not sure what their entry level synthetic stocked auto is now, but a 390 is what I shoot. Bought mine for $500 and change years ago and it has been flawless. Easy to clean and reassemble and it's reliable.
Followed by buzzards

allaboutshooting

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on November 19, 2016, 11:57:54 AM
Looking to buy me a new automatic turkey gun for this spring I was just wondering what you guys think the best automatic gun is. I'm looking to keep it under $1000

There are several very good self-loaders out there. There are always trade-offs of course, price, weight, fit...

I'd look very hard at the Mossberg 930. The others that I like are the Winchester SX3 and the Benelli Vinci. I own all these guns and have taken each of them to the turkey woods and fields. They all work well, are very reliable and do what's needed to be done. While they are quite different, they also fit me well but can be adjusted to fit most shooters.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

kyturkeyhunter4

wvmntnhick

I'll give another nod to the Winchester. While I don't have the sx3, I've had an sx2 for several years. It's been great and can be found used for much less than the sx3. It's a touch heavier as the receiver is made of a different metal but it's still a great gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lmbhngr

Older Remington 1187. Not necessarily "old school" but something in that early year range. New ones aren't built like the old ones. All mine are from the early 90's. You can't beat them

The Woodsman

SEMI-automatic, I bought a Winchester SX3 in 20 gauge this year and found it to be a very nice and easy shooting gun. I took a nice hen this fall with it.
Topped off with a TRUGLO TRU·TEC, Federal Heavyweights 7's and a Sumtoy choke. Good performer.

FL-Boss

I have had them all... Weatherby SA-459 hands down for a turkey semi auto

Marc

For reliability and all-around use, I would lean towards the SX-3 in your price range.  Almost everyone I know of that shoots one likes it, with few mechanical issues.  I have had the pleasure of shooting them, and for wing-shooting they are a soft shooting gun.  I would lean towards the SX-3 over the lower level Beretta's just due to my own personal experiences (I currently shoot a Beretta, and it is a bit fickle at times).

For heavy use, the only people I know with the Weatherby for waterfowl have had nothing but issues.  For light use such as turkey hunting, I would think it would be a fine choice.

I owned a couple of 1187's, and a good friend and my father all owned them as well...  Most awful pieces of junk ever.  Very good pointing guns, but rarely worked and all of us had mechanical issues with any type of heavy use (clays or duck shooting).  If you get one, make sure you bring plenty of spare parts and extra O-rings.

The Vinci (or SBE-2 or M-2) is a great gun, and everyone I know that has them likes them.  I have had the opportunity to shoot them as well, and there is not a more reliable gun that is easier to clean...  But they are a bit past your price-range.  Not a good choice if you like to fiddle with your gun though, as you will likely hear that "Benelli-Click" if you mess with the action.  The bolt has to snap shut, and if you pull it out just a bit, it will NOT re-engage without pulling the bolt all the way back again.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gamblinman

Quote from: lmbhngr on November 20, 2016, 07:49:48 AM
Older Remington 1187. Not necessarily "old school" but something in that early year range. New ones aren't built like the old ones. All mine are from the early 90's. You can't beat them

Yep. Even get a 11-87 Super Magnum. Don't have to shoot 3.5" shells in it.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

tomstopper

Quote from: Gamblinman on November 20, 2016, 10:05:09 PM
Quote from: lmbhngr on November 20, 2016, 07:49:48 AM

Yep. Even get a 11-87 Super Magnum. Don't have to shoot 3.5" shells in it.
:agreed:

Tail Feathers

With the improvement in turkey loads, you can get a fine 40 yard pattern out of a 3" gun and not punish yourself so much.
I have a 20 gauge SX3 and it is the softest shooter I've even fired.  It does have a heavy trigger.  It's at the gunsmith's right now having that lightened.  The gun is a simple to take down and clean as any shotgun I've handled, as easy as an 870 I think.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

kyturkeyhunter4

I really appreciate all the information, has any one had any experience with the Mossberg 935. I've also heard that there a great gun.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on November 23, 2016, 09:42:28 AM
I really appreciate all the information, has any one had any experience with the Mossberg 935. I've also heard that there a great gun.

The 935 is another excellent shotgun. It's a bit heavy, muzzle heavy, but otherwise just fine. I put a very thin Cheek EEZ pad on the comb of mine and it allowed me to shoot it without the cheek slap that I experienced before doing that.

Mine was very reliable in 3-4 seasons of turkey hunting and a lot of use in evaluating chokes and shells. It would keep on going even when quite dirty.

A friend of mine wanted a 935, so I let him have it and he seems very happy with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stinkpickle

Our local Bass Pro flyer says they're selling synthetic Benelli Montefeltros for $799 on sale this week.