turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey season vs. Deer season

Started by AC HAMMER, November 16, 2016, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC HAMMER

I've always went back and forth with myself on which I like better, deer or turkey hunting. Just curious which you guys would pick. I love those crisp November mornings when you know the big boys are on their feet but I'm not sure if that beats the sound of a gobbler hammering on a limb at daybreak. Your thoughts?

guesswho

I've hunted both since the mid 60's.  No comparison for me.   Turkeys have always been my favorite by far.   I spend a lot of time in the deer woods but rarely deer hunt anymore.  Turkeys are a different story.   I get after them as hard now as I ever did.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Turkeys are better than goats. I like to sit in the woods and watch the wildlife, even kill a deer or two, but it is nothing like the spring woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

Turkey first. No comparison. Primarily hunt for meat as my wife is big on organic meat. Have told my boys once they get proficient at killing them I am holding out for a big one. I enjoy watching the wife and kids shoot them more than myself anymore. My oldest boy turns into a wreck when it's time to
Shoot and then gets mad at me for chuckling about it. We have some good times.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

chadly

I love them both.  Been deer hunting a lot longer.  One thing about turkeys if ones gobbling you know you have a chance.  With deer it can be hours upon hours of nothing and it leaves you wondering if there is even a deer in the timber.  Since I feed my family with the harvest I would have to go with deer. 

JK Spurs

I like my turkey well peppered

Tail Feathers

Definitely turkey.
I do enjoy deer hunting and love the excitement of an opening day, whichever opener that may be!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I used to say deer, but if I had to choose one indefinitely it would for sure be turkey huntin now.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

KentuckyHeadhunter

Turkeys present a whole different challenge that appeal to me more.  I will always love deer hunting and killing a good doe or buck.  But there's no comparison for me.  I have longbeard fever. True turkey hunters are a different breed of liars.  :TooFunny:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

30_06

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here. I prefer a good spot and stalk deer hunt, even better would be elk!

AC HAMMER

I find myself going back and forth. If deer season is a couple weeks out, I'm pumped and ready. If it's April, I'm in full gobbler mode. If I absolute HAD to pick one.... I think I would choose to chase the longbeards. :turkey2:

mgm1955

Snood Life

I would use to say deer, but the first time that gobbler came in spitten and drummin, they won me over for life.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

1iagobblergetter

By far turkeys for me.. Have hunted them for  around 20 years and still get as excited about them as when I first started. Also have met a bunch of great friends through hunting them...