turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey season vs. Deer season

Started by AC HAMMER, November 16, 2016, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddturkeyhunter

Turkey over deer for sure, Turkeys can't bust you by smelling you. After a turkey gobble to tell you that he is there its all your game if you don't connect.

WildTigerTrout

Turkey hunting without a doubt. It's more fun.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ferocious calls

There is no debate here. When it's time it is what we harvest. They each are pursued with vigor. My fav is what I am after on any given day.

Jim K

Not even close for me. Turkeys any day.

perrytrails

Quote from: jblackburn on November 29, 2016, 01:40:06 PM
If I didn't like eating deer so much, I wouldn't hunt them. Longbeards hammering on a limb at daybreak is where it's at!
My thoughts exactly sir!!

strut2

Love them both but if I had to pick one......Turkey every time!!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: guesswho on November 16, 2016, 08:15:32 PMNo comparison for me. Turkeys have always been my favorite by far.
Same here. I've been hunting deer, turkeys, ducks and small game for decades. Turkeys are by far my favorite!!! :newmascot: Always will be!! But I sure do love eating venison :rudolph:, ducks and squirrels!!

HFultzjr

Spring turkey by far!
:OGani:

Deer around my area become very nocturnal after small game season starts and I can go days wondering "where they are". Only to have them show back up after the new year begins. Amazing!

Wish they would change the spring season to be:
March - 2 months long
April - 2 months long
May - 6 months long
Rest of the year - 2 months long...........gotta have some time for wife and family things!

Oh, by the way, the weather would need to adhere to those changes also.

LOL.........................

:santaclaus:

Tail Feathers

I went deer and/or pig hunting this evening.  I was more excited to see 10 turkeys than the deer that came out.
But, I have my buck in the freezer already... :you_rock:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Kylongspur88

Both equally but for different reasons. However, I still get shakey after I pull the trigger on a buck or gobbler.

hobbes

I'm glad that I don't have to choose.  Spring turkey has no competition in the spring, so no reason for me to weigh the pros and cons.  I guess I could spot and stalk spring bear, but haven't really tried.

I used to bowhunt whitetails with a passion when I lived in Illinois, but rarely hunt them now that I'm no longer in the Midwest.  It's not because I wouldn't love to, but they aren't as readily available to me at my location in Montana.  I guess I gave up bowhunting whitetails for bowhunting elk.
I did however spend a few days spot and stalk mule deer in the rut with a rifle and really enjoyed that.  There is always the possibility of a whitetail in the same area.

I really like waterfowl hunting, but I don't like eating them.  I have recently started hunting rooster pheasants and really enjoy hunting them and they are good eating.

I don't see a reason to give up any fall hunting to concentrate on spring hunting.  Unless it's money, vacation time, or spouse time related, deer or elk or upland or waterfowl have no bearing on spring turkeys.  I have no problem flipping the switch to turkeys in late winter and turning it back off late spring.   I'd say flipping back and forth is more likely to adversely affect deer, elk, etc than the other way around.

30_06

If I had to choose, deer would get the nod. Elk over deer though.
Luckily the seasons don't overlap!

Esse quam videri

Chordeiles

Most of my life it's been all deer hunting. Mostly what I thought/obsessed about year round. The last couple of years those thoughts have turned more and more towards turkeys. Guess I'm getting wiser in my older age. However I don't see myself giving up either as long as I'm able God willing.

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: SteelerFan on November 17, 2016, 07:58:32 PM
Quote from: eddie234 on November 17, 2016, 06:46:14 PM
That apples and oranges. I love spring turkey season and fall archery season season. That would be like saying which if your children do you love more? I love them equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^This

I just thank the good Lord that he made them both available to hunt at different times of the year!
Amen, if they were both at the same time, I would be left with nothing to do except pig hunt the rest of the year. But on second thought that wouldn't really be all bad

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk