News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey season vs. Deer season

Started by AC HAMMER, November 16, 2016, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

Quote from: Gooserbat on November 17, 2016, 11:44:52 PM
I only bowhunt deer and I do still find it excites me, however deer don't gobble so there's really no comparison.
Deer don't gobble but when they come down the trail grunting on the tail of a doe it's pretty darn comparable . IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KYFrid

Quote from: turkeyfoot on November 18, 2016, 11:31:52 AM
No comparison I can quit deer hunting now in mid rut wouldn't phase me bit.  when I have to quit turkey hunting may as well bury me

I feel the exact same way! I only deer hunt at that time cause they won't let me turkey hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamblinman

I gave up deer hunting 25 years ago to concentrate solely on turkey hunting in the spring. I've slowed down some, and only hunt 6 or 7 states a year now. I catch opening weekend of dove season and that is about it for hunting for me. The rest of the time, I'm crappie fishing.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

captpete

I'm on the other side of the fence than most of you. If I had to only choose one it would be deer hunting. I do get excited when I hear birds gobbling and it is cool watching them strut. To me it's hard to beat being in the timber on a crisp November day watching 2-3 bucks chase a doe around the timber and like mentioned earlier, hearing those bucks grunting & bawling while they are trailing, chasing, tending a doe. To me, that is cooler than watching and hearing the birds. You can see birds strutting and hear them gobble all year round(although not as often as in the spring). Seeing the chasing and hearing that grunting usually only happens in the fall.

quavers59

Turkey hunting-Spring AND Fall!   I am not really a deer hunter. Never really got interested. I do like to hunt for sheds though. Pheasant and woodcock round things out for me---so just birds.

Drthorn

turkeys by far.

Maybe it's because I've had a lot better success turkey hunting vs. deer hunting. Plus, the "knowing" a turkey is close by hearing it gobble and being able to communicate/work a bird is a huge rush for me. Sitting in a deer stand for hours being still and quiet can get pretty boring sometimes. 

kyturkeyhunter4

Turkeys for me i just love that challenge of calling that bird in.

Double B

Well I'm deer hunting right now, but talking about turkey hunting on the net.......that tells you everything.   :funnyturkey:
Followed by buzzards

mtns2hunt

I hunt deer in the Fall and Turkey hunt in the Spring. Love being out on cool mornings which ever I hunt. I do not try to judge one over the other. But I also love cat hunting, coyote, crow and shooting the odd coyote that strolls by. Why choose? Killed a ten point buck first day of the Va deer season this year and two really nice Merriam Turkeys in New Mexico. Could not ever imagine limiting myself to one species. But each to his own.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

jakesdad

Like to deer hunt with muzzle loader and recurve bow. Really like to fish for crappie and bluegill with ultralight tackle. LOVE to chase turkeys in spring and fall!  Days when the weather isn't cooperating I have no issue staying in from deer hunting or fishing, but nothing short of the apocalypse  keeps me in from chasing turkeys. I enjoy all aspects of being outdoors in GOD'S  great creation he was loving enough to share with us!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

chatterbox

Turkey.
I do enjoy a nice November day in the timber, but I always catch myself listening for fall birds..... and that leads me to thoughts of chasing spring gobblers.
Deer hunting is always more like deer waiting. I was fortunate enough to shoot a nice spike on the rifle opener, but that's the exception, not the rule around here.

Cottonmouth

For me, it's turkeys all day long. I deer hunt some, mostly to get a couple in the freezer. My top three are: Turkey hunting, bowfishing, and crappie fishing.

West Augusta

Turkey. No question in my book. Love the gobble.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Dr Juice

Quote from: guesswho on November 16, 2016, 08:15:32 PM
I've hunted both since the mid 60's.  No comparison for me.   Turkeys have always been my favorite by far.   I spend a lot of time in the deer woods but rarely deer hunt anymore.  Turkeys are a different story.   I get after them as hard now as I ever did.
Concur and well said.

Bowguy

Id find it hard to answer this question. I love bow hunting/archery, love muzzleloaders and something about having a tack driving rifle in my hands drives me nuts too. I really enjoy just shooting them.
Turkey guns aren't that way for me. Yes I pattern them as crazy as anyone. Have 5-6 dedicated turkey guns. Try all kinda loads n chokes but turkeys are special in their own right.
To be honest any shotgun will work with some prep.
I hunt deer from Sept til mid Feb. it's a long time n by the end I'm kinda worn out. As I get older dragging them gets harder n a quick hunt before work is impossible.
Turkey season is short so I'm always hungry for more once it closes n throwing a bird on you're shoulder is nicer than dragging some beast.
That being said I mostly deer hunt in fall, turkey in spring.
So I guess I dig em both n ain't quitting either.

Now another addiction that's cool is hounds after deer season n before turkey. Or how bout calling coyotes, ducks? Great to be an outdoorsman. Always another opening day or start of a new season almost here