News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey season vs. Deer season

Started by AC HAMMER, November 16, 2016, 07:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Quote from: guesswho on November 16, 2016, 08:15:32 PM
I've hunted both since the mid 60's.  No comparison for me.   Turkeys have always been my favorite by far.   I spend a lot of time in the deer woods but rarely deer hunt anymore.  Turkeys are a different story.   I get after them as hard now as I ever did.
:agreed: I just love being in the woods during the spring and watching it come alive. Can't beat it when one is hammering from the limb and then hear him hit the ground and start your way. Game on.....

dejake

Turkey.  By far, way more fun, and a heck of a lot easier getting one out of the woods.

870BkWht

I started squirrel hunting then moved on to rabbits, deer, and didn't get bitten by the turkey bug until later on.  I still enjoy deer hunting, but over time Ive lost my passion for it, and far and away Id say turkey hunting is it for me. 

As someone else said, its easier to get them out of the woods, and easier to clean them.  Id rather kill a typical 2 year old gobbler than a nice 10 point.  I like being in the woods better in the spring than I do in the fall and all things considered its just a no brainer.  Turkeys are the ultimate choice for me.

jwright8

I love to hunt turkeys as much as the next guy. But if I had to choose one. It would probably be deer. IMO a big mature buck is more challenging to kill. And their is just something about a cold November morning.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

ncwoodsman

Turkey hunting by far! Love hearing a gobbler fire up on a beautiful springtime morning. I've killed my share of deer and just don't have the passion or desire that I once did.

paboxcall

Spring season is first, fall turkey season is a very, very close second.  Deer season a very close third.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

wvmntnhick

I've been a deer hunter longer than a turkey hunter. Always liked going turkey hunting but the bug hit the hardest last spring and it's the first in many that I didn't kill a bird. I'd give the birds a slight edge but not an overwhelming edge. Ask me in the spring though and I'll have a different answer

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

eddie234

That apples and oranges. I love spring turkey season and fall archery season season. That would be like saying which if your children do you love more? I love them equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

born2hunt

I used to deer hunt from opening day of archery to the last hour of gun season, then cry because it closed.  Lately  I have found myself deer hunting less and less.  The past couple of seasons I have been so excited for spring to come that I didn't even hunt the last couple weeks of the season.  So....it's turkey for me.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

strutnva

SteelerFan

Quote from: eddie234 on November 17, 2016, 06:46:14 PM
That apples and oranges. I love spring turkey season and fall archery season season. That would be like saying which if your children do you love more? I love them equally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^^^This

I just thank the good Lord that he made them both available to hunt at different times of the year!

Gooserbat

I only bowhunt deer and I do still find it excites me, however deer don't gobble so there's really no comparison.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

fallhnt

Fall turkey,Spring turkey and bow hunt deer while Fall turkey hunting.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

turkeyfoot

No comparison I can quit deer hunting now in mid rut wouldn't phase me bit.  when I have to quit turkey hunting may as well bury me