turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Preparing Spurs for Display

Started by Austy, April 05, 2011, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austy

I know that I read somewhere on this forum how to prepare spurs for a display.  I want to cut the spurs off of the legs of one of the Osceola's that I killed this spring for display so that I can run something thru the bone for a necklace.  I want to remove all of the meat and scales so that just the spur and the bone are on the necklace but I need to prep the bone so it doesn't start to stink.  How do you guys prep the spurs for a display like this??  I know it was posted here somewhere!!!! how to prep them for display.

Mainer

I push out the ligaments and meat from inside the bone, I then take a razor blade to the skin, and get all of the skin off. I them boil them, but be careful, so not over boil them, otherwise the "cover" on the spur will come off.
Can also use some peroxide on them, to whiten them up a bit.

Austy

Thanks I found the post that I was looking for in the taxidermy section.  Thanks for the help.

mudhen

I don't do the boil & reglue thing.

A few tips for no-stink, no yellowing.

Freeze legs pretty quick, cut while frozen, push out marrow while frozen.  I just peel red skin with a pocket knife.  Then hand wash with Dawn to cut the grease, especially clean the inside of the legbone, as grease will stick there.

Let dry for as long as you want, and then I take the little drum sander on my Dremel and clean up as much as I please.

I might coat with auto clear coat, but that is optional.

If cleaned correctly, they stay smell-free and pretty white  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

NYGobblergetter

I cut them frozen or after they have dried for a while, then put them in boiling water with some Dawn soap for about 10 min. After that, you can peal the skin off with a knife easily. I then put them in a tupperware container and fill the bottom with hydrogen peroxide enough to cover the bone to the base of the spur and let it sit over night. it turns them real white. Then I spray both sides with clear polyurethane and string them on a a piece of leather from Micheals with wood beads in between the spurs. It turns out very nice. i wear one of mine everytime I go out.

TURKEYWHACKER

I cut mine on a band saw,push out the marrow then put them in a zip lock bag of borax. After about 2 weeks I just dust em off and string em up on my spur necklace.