OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall turkey hunters

Started by fallhnt, October 28, 2016, 09:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

How many of you bust flocks up in the Fall,without using dogs? How often would you say you killed after busting a flock?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Spring Creek Calls

I've had very good success busting up a fall flock and calling them back in. The biggest hurdle is to truly bust em up, getting them to fly in different directions. If that happens the odds go way up. If they fly off in the same direction odds go way down. Give it a shot and start calling as soon as the first young bird starts kee keeing. It's a blast!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

mgm1955

allaboutshooting

Quote from: fallhnt on October 28, 2016, 09:50:45 AM
How many of you bust flocks up in the Fall,without using dogs? How often would you say you killed after busting a flock?

The Fall is really my favorite time to hunt turkeys, since you can see so many, get very close to them and watch their interactions. I've learned more about turkey behavior by hunting in the Fall than any other time. You can also hear their vocalizations and see how other turkeys react.

I've never used dogs to hunt turkeys. I've "busted" flocks by running at them, yelling, shooting in the air and yes, by barking like a dog. When I've had a good scatter, and that's most of the time, I've always been succesful in calling them back. I can't remember a time when I've not killed at least one turkey after calling them back.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wvmntnhick

Scatter them in 4 directions and you've got it made. Love fall hunting. Don't get to do much of it anymore though.

quavers59

Plenty of times myself. Also with pheasant dogs and shooting turkeys--on the wing. I have a pic in one of my books of my Brother in law taking his one and only turkey from such a flush.

Bowguy

Whistling em back in to me seems almost assured if they're broke right. Not trying to offend anyone who does but to me it works so well it's almost too easy. I've whistled em in for friends wearing red flannel shirts n red wool rich jackets. That's just me n I'm not saying it's not a great technique I just don't do it to kill birds. If the object is just dead birds it's a great way to get there

The Woodsman

Why not just call the whole flock in?

Denny

JK Spurs

PA opened Saturday. I busted up about 15 birds Friday evening about 4:30. They started going nuts yelping and kee kee within 15 minutes. I spent the next two hours trying to keep them quiet and chasing them away from each other. Boy they hate roosting alone! Next morning they were sounding off all the place. I had a couple close and thought I would have one within range at any minute but the boss hen gathered the family and she won the battle. No bird but had a blast! If I could do it over again I should have moved closer to her and let her do the calling.
I like my turkey well peppered

tomstopper

Never use a dog. When I find them, I just run in waving my arms and yelling. Sit down and wait about 15-20mins and start to call and enjoy the ride.