OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey choke tube that doubles for coyotes

Started by mtns2hunt, October 27, 2016, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I shoot a kicks 665 in my BPS. I set this gun up for Turkeys shooting LB #4's and 6's. Patterns are very good and I seldom shoot over 40 yards. I am seeing many coyotes coming into my calls. What is the largest size shot I can shoot through this choke theoretically. I have heard of pellets being deformed and causing flyers. I would like to shoot buckshot #4 but was wondering how large a diameter I could shoot with this choke. I will be patterning this shotgun and load but am looking for a starting point rather than wasting money buying boxes of shells I really don't need. I appreciate any feedback or experience you can provide.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: mtns2hunt on October 27, 2016, 09:43:59 PM
I shoot a kicks 665 in my BPS. I set this gun up for Turkeys shooting LB #4's and 6's. Patterns are very good and I seldom shoot over 40 yards. I am seeing many coyotes coming into my calls. What is the largest size shot I can shoot through this choke theoretically. I have heard of pellets being deformed and causing flyers. I would like to shoot buckshot #4 but was wondering how large a diameter I could shoot with this choke. I will be patterning this shotgun and load but am looking for a starting point rather than wasting money buying boxes of shells I really don't need. I appreciate any feedback or experience you can provide.

I have folks who have used a Wright's #3 with a .650 exit diameter and the Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" shells for years very successfully. Those shells come in several shot sizes including #4 buck and all of that shot is frangible.

I can not really make a recommendation for large shot sizes in the Kick's chokes but I'm sure that if you give them a call, they'd be glad to let you know what they recommend. They are fine folks and very helpful. Their phone number is 800-587-2779

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

CrustyRusty

I know it's an added expense but my Dead coyote heavy shot choke shoots as well as any turkey choke I have. You can pick them up pretty cheap too.   If I didn't already have a turkey specific tube I would just use the dead coyote choke. It's that good.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: allaboutshooting on October 28, 2016, 03:10:00 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on October 27, 2016, 09:43:59 PM

I have folks who have used a Wright's #3 with a .650 exit diameter and the Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" shells for years very successfully. Those shells come in several shot sizes including #4 buck and all of that shot is frangible.

I can not really make a recommendation for large shot sizes in the Kick's chokes but I'm sure that if you give them a call, they'd be glad to let you know what they recommend. They are fine folks and very helpful. Their phone number is 800-587-2779

Thanks,
Clark

I appreciate the feedback and will give the kicks folks a call. Not sure why I did not think of that.

I will also look at the Dead Coyote choke tube. Although I am basically trying to limit the amount of equipment I have.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Dtrkyman

I shoot number 4 lead buck shot and winchester extended range in b shot from a 660 jelly head, good patterns and no issues for me.

I have not shot a ton of rounds through it but at least a couple dozen with no issues, they are hell on coyotes!!!

Ihuntoldschool

Coyotes are not that tough.  If you don't want to waste money buying a bunch of fancy shells and chokes you don't need, then just shoot them with your turkey loads. The #4 Longbeards will kill them dead as a hammer if you shoot straight.  I have killed several with plain #6 lead unplated shot, one shot kills.  The ammo and choke makers want you to believe coyotes are "tough" to penetrate, they are not.  The biggest mistake most people make is choosing shot to large and missing the vitals due to holes in the pattern.  #4 Buck would be fine as well and will not hurt your choke.  #2 lead shot would make a good choice also.

decoykrvr

My preferred coyote shell is the original Federal Tungsten-Iron 31/2"or 3" , BB and BBB which chronograph @1400 fps and deliver coyote killing patterns at 55-60 yards w/ a Patternmaster Extended Waterfowl choke.  I've shot these shells through an Indian Creek .675 in a BPS w/ great results.