turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

turning tool question

Started by flockbuster, October 27, 2016, 02:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flockbuster

I have an old, inexpensive set of turning tools that someone gave me. They don't hold an edge and I am pretty sure they aren't the correct tools for what I want to do. Right now I am at the "making square wood into round wood, learning how everything works" stage so it's no big deal. Soon, however,I hope to try making pot calls, strikers and trumpet calls with trumpet calls being the one I want to do the most.

With that in mind, clue me in on what gouges, scrapers, etc do I need to do that will work, best for what I want to do. I believe in the pay once, cry once theory so better tools are what I am looking for. From what I have read on here I don't want to get a set of tools that I would only use a few of. I used the search function but the info is scattered among a bunch of threads so hoping some of you will help me out here.

Thanks

Wes

mastevt

I make a variety of calls, and gave away my steel chiesels, and bought these carbides.   Never looked back.
http://www.rockler.com/carbide-mini-turning-tool-3-piece-set

doublespurs21

I think you could get by with these ...  1/8 in. parting tool. 1/2in spearpoint tool. 1in skew chisels, and a 1/4 in, gouge. and keep them as sharp as you can get them, hope that this helps you

pappy

Always willing to help out a fellow turner. I have a pile of turning tools, everything from and 8 piece set I got new for 20 bucks...to Robert Sorby and Crown...all kinds of lengths and sizes and from skews to gouges and beyond. Probably got a hundred or so....but you know what I use the majority of? A three piece set from benjamin's Best...http://www.ptreeusa.com/Benjamins_Best_woodworking_tools.htm
here they are from Peachtree... I have gone through two of the chisels because I turn every day....and it has been three years since the last one. I sharpen mine on a belt sander (6X48) on 220 grit then polish them with the green jewelers polish of hard steel polish sticks. This will make for a lot less friction and friction wears the tools down. I can set you up with a three piece set ( chisel, skew and a parting tool) from Sorby for 125.00 or you can grab those Benjamins...LOL pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

flockbuster

Hey Pappy,

I looked at the link you gave me. Do you use the skew chisel set or are you talking abut the bowl gouge turning set? As you can tell, I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks

Wes

mmclain

Wood turners catalog.com run by wood turners.  All excellent quality tools.  I still use the same tools I bought in 2003/004

flockbuster

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. Like I said, I am new at this and don't know my butt from a hole in the ground yet, so the folks on here are saving me a bunch of learning pains and wasted money on unneeded tools.

Thanks all.

Wes

mmclain

The best thing you can do is purchase a set of wood turning books and read them cover to cover.  Richard Raffan books are excellent!!!

There are tools for center work(strikers) and tools for face work(pots) and if you use the wrong one what your doing is going to catch and skrew up what your working on.  Reading these books will lessen the bad experiences and frustration of trying to figure it out on your own.

Purchase tools 1 at a time based on needed use.   DO NOT BUY SETS!! Most of the tools will set in the box unused. 

My tool suggestions
1" or larger roughing gouge for center work
3/4 skew for center work and sheer scraping
1/8 parting tool
1/2 or 3/4  heavy/thick flat scraper for pots
3/8 detail gouge for center work
A shallow spindle gouge is nice too. 

Avoid buying tools with compound grinds. If you do not have the proper jig your gonna ruin the cutting edge.

flockbuster

Got a couple of good books and took a couple of half day courses at a local tool supply store, now I just need a bunch of cheap wood to turn into firewood and time on the lathe. Just the little I have done has been a blast but it has quickly become clear that there is more to making a decent call than buying a lathe and some sandpaper.

pappy

sorry for not replying sooner, but I use both sets, I usually start with the gouge and then follow up with the skew and parting tool.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

SwampDog35

Pappy, did you happen to see my last PM? Your old number doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanatorium

I make my own carbide tools and use high speed steel when I have to

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk