Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trice"s stoned aluminum versus his anodized?

Started by MikeStaten, October 25, 2016, 05:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeStaten

I've got his anodized aluminum in acrylic and it sounds great.  I'm thinking of picking up his stoned aluminum based on reviews here.

I generally don't like the bead blasted or rougher surface aluminum.  Hard to explain but the surface seems to have too much grip on the striker for me.  I tend to like the smoother anodized aluminum like on Hanks, Trice and Corder calls.

For those that have played both, how do the two.compare as far as sound?  Is the stoned surface rough like a bead blasted call?  Once the "stoned" surface wears off, is it easy to condition?   

If I order one, I'm leaning towards either Agate, Padauk or Redheart for the pot.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

hunter22

I have two anodized and two stoned aluminum pot calls from Lon. The anodized are black acrylic and Cocobolo and the stoned are black acrylic and Padauk. All four calls are simply outstanding. I use Rain Chalk on the anodized and nothing on the stoned. The strikers grip all of them well. I would happily hunt any of them. That said my favorites are the Padauk stoned and black acrylic anodized.

jjnfla

I got the orange agate in both stoned and anodized and the Paduak in anodized all three sound pretty similar to each other..
The stoned surface is pretty much raw aluminum now after playing and condition it put it still sounds great.I think ethere surface or wood you'd be happy with but I prefer the orange agate over the Paduak..

hawk

Quote from: hunter22 on October 25, 2016, 05:44:50 PM
I have two anodized and two stoned aluminum pot calls from Lon. The anodized are black acrylic and Cocobolo and the stoned are black acrylic and Padauk. All four calls are simply outstanding. I use Rain Chalk on the anodized and nothing on the stoned. The strikers grip all of them well. I would happily hunt any of them. That said my favorites are the Padauk stoned and black acrylic anodized.

What is rain chalk

MikeStaten

Thanks all.  I think I'm going to go with the Orange Agate with anodized aluminum over aluminum.  As long as I keep my striker conditioned and use rain chalk, as Rickey recommended to me last year, I never had an issue with the anodized surface so I'm gonna stick with that as it sounds flat out amazing.

MikeStaten

Couldn't decide so i ordered one anodized and one stoned.  Should have them this weekend. Anodized is in agate pot and stoned is a goncalo alves pot. 

MikeStaten

Will do.  If either one sounds half as good as his Anodized aluminum over aluminum in acrylic pot i will be happy.