turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ghost Cut Diaphram Question

Started by 870BkWht, October 02, 2016, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

So ive been using mouth calls for years but ive always been a split V, bat wing, boss hen type of cut kind of guy.  I also have always been a fan of 3 or 4 reeded calls.

I bought a ghost cut mouth call this morning from Midwest Turkey Call Supply due this particular call claiming to be great for kee kees and kee kee runs.  I was hoping someone could give me some heads up on what to expect. 

Do ghost cuts typically have less rasp than other cuts that I mentioned up above?  Is more pressure or less pressure needed for these calls?

Happy

Ghost cuts have been hit or miss for me.  Most have what I would call a medium rasp. They do have a nice high/low break but peronally I can kee kee better on a right side combo cut better than anything else. Everyone differs when it comes to diaghrams tho and one man's trash is another's treasure. Only way you will know is to try it yourself. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Clardh

I've used a ghost cut since they came out and I love them. I like the ghost cut with a half reed (2 1/2). For me, they tend to need a little less air than other calls. I would agree with Happy about the rasp. As for kee Kees they are easily achievable with a ghost. Move your tongue to the left and the right until you find the sweet spot. Once you get it, you're off and running. Good Luck!

wvmntnhick

I can't run a ghost cut to save my life. But then, I struggle with a lot of diaphragm calls in general. I tend to do best with a V-cut and most recently a sawtooth cut. I can kee kee, cluck, cutt, and purr on both so I'm not real concerned about others at the moment. Having said that, the ghost cut has been much more higher pitched when I use them. Just no consistency for me so I don't use them. Good luck with the new calls though.

jblackburn

You may have to play around with where your air channel forms, for ghost cuts you have to play down the center for kees and your front end of the yelp.  Kees can also be produced on combo/reverse combo cuts if you can get your air channel to the side where the top reed is cut away.

As far as rasp, you should be able get plenty of backend rasp.  Now, with a v-cut you are most likely getting close to 100% rasp since it can be pretty hard to get a clean front end note with that type of call since there are only two small areas (each side of the V) where you can play the 2nd reed for the front end of the yelp

Reeds are a preference, but most people tend to lean to 3 reed calls.  I like some 4 reeds, but I blow the call harder than some people.  Personally, I don't like most 2 reed calls because 1) I tend to over blow them and 2) even when I don't I think they sound "fake" or kinda hollow sounding.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

870BkWht

Thanks for the replies, and your time to give me your input.  I'm expecting my calls tomorrow in the mail, and the WV fall season opens here on Saturday so Ill be in the woods trying them out. 

Since we are on the subject of mouth calls, I have another question.  One of the calls I ordered was a Legacy Evolution 2.5 call. This call has cut outs on the outsides of the reed near the frame and a big V cut near the center.  I really don't know what you call it, but the description said it was a very versatile call.  Just wondering if anyone has ever used this particular cut.

jblackburn

Quote from: 870BkWht on October 04, 2016, 11:12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, and your time to give me your input.  I'm expecting my calls tomorrow in the mail, and the WV fall season opens here on Saturday so Ill be in the woods trying them out. 

Since we are on the subject of mouth calls, I have another question.  One of the calls I ordered was a Legacy Evolution 2.5 call. This call has cut outs on the outsides of the reed near the frame and a big V cut near the center.  I really don't know what you call it, but the description said it was a very versatile call.  Just wondering if anyone has ever used this particular cut.

I had to google that call, not familiar with the company or design, but it look like the same theory as a ghost cut, you'll play down the middle. I could see the call being raspier with the corners cut away allowing the top reed to vibrate more.

Good look Saturday!!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

870BkWht

Quote from: jblackburn on October 06, 2016, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: 870BkWht on October 04, 2016, 11:12:11 PM

I had to google that call, not familiar with the company or design, but it look like the same theory as a ghost cut, you'll play down the middle. I could see the call being raspier with the corners cut away allowing the top reed to vibrate more.

Good look Saturday!!

Jblackburn,

I received the calls yesterday and the call from Legacy I mentioned earlier turned out to be exactly like you mentioned.  Its raspier than a ghost cut call but to me is much more versatile than the ghost cut.  Its not as high pitched as a ghost cut either.  It cutts, yelps, cackles, and kee kees like a champ.  In short, I with I would have bought 2 of these instead of the ghost cut.  Apparently Legacy also offers this same style cut in a 4 reed call with a red latex and Ill be giving it a shot before spring rolls around again.

Thanks again for everyones help and input.