News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WILDCAT CALL

Started by quavers59, October 02, 2016, 01:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

It works. 

Sounds sort of like a drawn out wood duck call.   Can't say I've ever heard a turkey do it.  If I did, I didn't associate the sound with a turkey.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

When I think of running the wildcat I think of Tim Tebow..... and I don't run the wildcat.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

larry9988

That's about a good of a gobble as I have ever heard made on a turkey call.

quavers59

I have a fairly large collection of wild turkey books--around 25 or so. I did go through them to see any mention of the WILDCAT CALL. The late Lovett Williams wrote about the wildcat call on page 141 of his book-- Wild Turkey-Hunting And Management. He mentions Leon Johenning's--calling manual of 1962. That must be the Turkey Hunters Guide as that was his only book. He also sold  -The Caller Learning Record and a turkey call.  Now Williams also wrote on page 141--To my knowledge, nobody has attempted to describe what the call sounds like other then to claim it sounds like a wildcat. But Johenning did describe the wildcat call on page 34 of his book. I sounded it out--practiced some and got some deep gobbler clucks in reply as I already wrote. A good 5-6 of them over 5 minutes. I just got there too late to get a shot. I had no idea a gobbler flock was in that area.   I intend to use this call again right before sunrise before my season is out.

silvestris

The Wildcat Call, whatever it is, will be heard so rarely during any turkey hunter's career that is would be very difficult to catch it on a recording and one hearing it would have great difficulty reproducing it from memory.  I have heard on three occasions in over thirty years what I think may be the Wildcat Call, but I am certainly not going to declare that what I heard was that call.  What I heard was a "Wheeeee-up" given several times.  I was certain that the call was made by turkeys, probably gobblers.  I think of the call as a curiosity and I can think of no value the call would have in a hunting situation.  It is just one of those "damned if I know" things.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

J.D. Shellnut

Quote from: silvestris on October 20, 2016, 01:02:59 PM
The Wildcat Call, whatever it is, will be heard so rarely during any turkey hunter's career that is would be very difficult to catch it on a recording and one hearing it would have great difficulty reproducing it from memory.  I have heard on three occasions in over thirty years what I think may be the Wildcat Call, but I am certainly not going to declare that what I heard was that call.  What I heard was a "Wheeeee-up" given several times.  I was certain that the call was made by turkeys, probably gobblers.  I think of the call as a curiosity and I can think of no value the call would have in a hunting situation.  It is just one of those "damned if I know" things.
I've heard that "wheeeee-up" sound before. I assumed it was from turkeys being we was in the same block of woods but I never gave it much thought. Very interesting. I read your post on another site. What you say about turkeys makes sense to me and I can believe it and relate to it. I'm from la.
60% of the time it works every time!

quavers59

Hear you Silvestris. But right before sunrise that morning-- I had no idea where any flock was. I was willing to possibly ruin my first Fall turkey hunt of this year. I must have sounded it out pretty good as finding the location of roosted gobblers is a --Gold Mine! So- I am willing to give the wildcat cat call another shot for sure.

quavers59

That --"wheeeee-up" that was decribed in above posts must be the same call as Joehnnings-"QUE-E-E-E-E--ICK---QUE-E-E-E-E--ICK. The way I sounded this out was by saying the word  (quick) and stretching it out from --pot rim to pot rim . Took some time- but that is the sound I kind of get. Knight And Hales-- Ol Yeller gives me the best sound for this with a rosewood peg. It sounds nothing like a kee-kee and Joehnning mentioned 2 lonesome-- but high pitched whines.
    I do quite of bit of hiking year round at sunrise and might take the pot out with me sometimes. Like alot of members I am curious and would like to know more. I do suspect that a number of old-timers knew about the wildcat call and did not pass that knowledge on.

davisd9

Interesting call to discuss and learn about but do not think it is a call that will improve my hunting success. Hope it works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ferocious calls

The sound my Easterns make is very catlike. Like the sound we hear when 2 cats are sizing each other up and trying to scare off the other. A rolling type sound that is medium pitch at the start rolling higher and tapering to a growl ending. They need to be fired up, really fired up to make this sound. It is not difficult to produce with our voice and practice.

quavers59

I want to try a few more pots for the wildcat call.  Very interesting subject. Who knows--maybe some call companies will try to cash in on this wildcat call and create callers for its use.
      I still favor that Knight And Hale --Ol Yeller though. I am going to use other pegs besides rosewood. I just really dig that peg in and pull it to the far rim. I don't think a horseshoe caller would sound as good for the wildcat call.

flockbuster

Quote from: silvestris on October 19, 2016, 06:05:09 PM
See if this link works.

https://soundcloud.com/user-788295847/leon-johenning

It contains Leon's rendition on his caller.

I have heard that sound in the woods during the spring several times. The times I have been able to see the critter making the sound has always turned out to be a barred owl. Not saying turkeys don't make the same sound, but I know barred owls do.

quavers59

I do plenty of hiking year round--often at sunrise. I might play around some with the wildcat call. The 2nd way, I run the call on the Knight And Hale  Ol Yeller pot is by circling the rim clockwise going from 12 oclock to 8 oclock.  Trying to sound out that call  on the pot by stretching out--"quick".