OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Goulds Outfitters

Started by goblr77, September 22, 2016, 03:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblr77

Is there a goulds outfitter some of you guys have had a good experience with?

woodshopteacher

I had a great time with el corral. If you search on here you will find my post about the hunt. Killed 2 awesome birds. Mike and Jorge run a good outfit.

stringtown

http://www.riosonoraoutfitters.com

Brad is one of the better outfitters I've ever dealt with and I've dealt w a bunch. Honest and has the Mexico deal figured out as best an American can.

Yoder409

El Halcon

Top notch outfit.   I have known Manuel for many years.  I have hunted with him and should I go back to Mexico I would consider no other.......
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

GobblinNC

Went to El Halcon this year. Absolutely great operation. We filled our tags and had the best all around hunting experience of any guided/semi guided trip we've ever been on. Would definitely recommend going with them.

fountain2

Quote from: Yoder409 on October 20, 2016, 07:56:00 PM
El Halcon

Top notch outfit.   I have known Manuel for many years.  I have hunted with him and should I go back to Mexico I would consider no other.......

God to hear

fountain2

Quote from: GobblinNC on October 20, 2016, 11:41:22 PM
Went to El Halcon this year. Absolutely great operation. We filled our tags and had the best all around hunting experience of any guided/semi guided trip we've ever been on. Would definitely recommend going with them.

This is also good to hear.  For you that have been with El halcon, any tips on how to pack, what kind of clothing to take or any travel tips?  We are going mid may in 2017. 
How did yall get there?  Did either of you have to spend a night in Mexico near the airport.  I'm trying to figure the plane tickets now and I though our flight went from ga to texas then on to chihuahua.  It looks like it will go to Mexico city (I think), then on to chihuahua.  I'm not so sure onot this or the safety

About the important stuff....how was the hunt!?

cramerhunts

Rio Sonora or Colburn and Scott Outfitters. Both are top notch and are the best in the business from start to finish for Mexico.

GobblinNC

Quote from: fountain2 on October 23, 2016, 09:10:24 AM
Quote from: GobblinNC on October 20, 2016, 11:41:22 PM

This is also good to hear.  For you that have been with El halcon, any tips on how to pack, what kind of clothing to take or any travel tips?  We are going mid may in 2017. 
How did yall get there?  Did either of you have to spend a night in Mexico near the airport.  I'm trying to figure the plane tickets now and I though our flight went from ga to texas then on to chihuahua.  It looks like it will go to Mexico city (I think), then on to chihuahua.  I'm not so sure onot this or the safety

About the important stuff....how was the hunt!?

We went mid May this year. It gets warm during the day so we didn't  dress heavy. A light jacket did come in handy during the morning. The folks at El Halcon made traveling easy and had all the paperwork for both us and the birds we brought back already filled out. Book your flights ahead of time and follow the instructions the outfitter provides and you will be fine. They transport you to and from airport. We flew into Dallas and then from Dallas straight into Chihuahua city. It was about a 2 and a half hour ride from there to the lodge. We spent the night in the hotel in Chihuahua (which we were unsure about) on our return, and it was extremely nice. Never felt unsafe at all. In fact we went out to eat and walked around the city. It is a very nice place and the amenities were first class. The hunting was unlike anything I've experienced. Those Gould's turkeys traveled a lot more than I am used to. Water is a key factor down there. A good pair of lightweight boots is crucial because you will do a lot of walking. They have a ton of land to hunt and the birds were not over pressured. Everyone in camp tagged out. Me and my hunting partner both killed a double beard. It was an amazing trip all the way around and I'm sure you will have the time of your life! The folks at El Halcon are great and will do everything to keep you safe, comfortable, and go well out of their way to ensure a good hunt. Oh, and you won't be able to not gain at least 5 pounds during the course of the trip due to the food ;D

GobblinNC

This  was the double beard i killed. I could not get over how big the head and feet were on this turkey.

fountain2

Ok.  When you were on the return and stayed in the city, did they make those reservations or did you?
Also, did you make prior arrangements with a taxidermist?

Also, what airline did you fly with?  We will fly out of Atlanta.  As of now it looks like we will fly from Atlanta to Mexico city, then onto chihuahua. 

We will definitely be in touch with Manuel a good bit during this and will speak in length more in Nashville

GobblinNC

Yes they made the hotel arrangements and helped us get checked in. Manuel and his family actually own the hotel I believe. Yes you need to make arrangements with a USDA certified taxidermist and have their information when bringing the birds back. The hides have to be treated by a certified taxidermist after crossing the border. I think we flew American Airlines but I will look back and confirm that.

GobblinNC

There were two guys from Savannah GA that flew in with us from Dallas to Chihuahua. Don't know if that is an option for you or not.