OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Steve Torman and Unicoi

Started by The Cohutta Strutter, September 15, 2016, 02:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cohutta Strutter

I've had a piece of black locust laying around for some time now. It was from a limb that came off a mature tree. It's from my late grandfathers place in Gilmer Co. Georgia. Being that I've always wanted one of Steve's strikers and knowing that he is partial to black locust it was really a no brainer where this piece would wind up. A short time before the Unicoi show I contacted Steve and ask him if he would make the striker. He gladly accepted and said he thourghly enjoys making turkey call from wood of sentimental value.  So it was set. I knew Steve was going to be a vendor at the show and told him I'd bring it along with me and give it to him then. Steve goes by West Augusta on the forums and has recently relocated. If I'm not mistaken he said this was the first striker out of his new shop ! I've asked Steve to post a pic when he gets the time. Thanks again Steve. It means a lot.
Anybody seen America lately?

West Augusta

It was an honor to make this striker for you.  Every time you hunt with it, you'll be hunting with your Grandfather.
I hope that you like it and it calls a truckload of long beards in to your gun.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

jed clampett

Awesome looking striker...great sentimental piece!!

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

KentuckyHeadhunter

Very nice.  Congrats.  I think I read somewhere that Steve doesn't use a lathe? 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

mgm1955

That's a real beauty. Congrats! Nice work Steve!!

West Augusta

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on September 15, 2016, 06:27:40 PM
Very nice.  Congrats.  I think I read somewhere that Steve doesn't use a lathe?

The first 200 or so were made without a lathe and took about 3 weeks each to make.  Now, I rough them in about 75% on a lathe and then do a lot of hand work to the bell and tune them on my hunting calls.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Matt k

firedup

Well done Steve!  Mr. C. Stutter got himself a great piece of history there in the form of a very, very, VERY solid striker!

SteelerFan

M Sharpe

Congrats to both of you and look forward to seeing you two at Unicoi!!!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

mmclain

One of the best striker woods!!

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: M Sharpe on September 16, 2016, 08:27:42 PM
Congrats to both of you and look forward to seeing you two at Unicoi!!!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
It can't get here fast enough Mark !
Anybody seen America lately?