Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any boat owners on here? (pulled the trigger today)

Started by REBELYELL, September 09, 2016, 11:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REBELYELL

I got boat fever and I'm looking for some feedback on Xpress and War Eagle boats. Been looking at 16' to 18' models with 50 to 90 hp 4 strokes. Open to all models, my little small town actually has a dealer for both of my top two choices. I plan on crappie and bass fishing from it, along with running trot lines in the MS river. Heck, I might even get a camo boat for duck hunting in the winter. Any owners on here with some solid reviews?

Greg Massey

I have both boat's 17 - 56 xpress with 40 hp, yamaha , i catfish on the Tenn River with this boat and i have a 18 -60 war eagle predator crappie boat with 90 hp, 4 stroke ..Both are great boats... Be sure and look at the war eagle Predator boat, for all around fishing ,, it's a great crappie boat... I bought the war eagle boat from Union City Marine In Tennessee , he one of the biggest war eagle sales person in the country..

Greg Massey

The bigger the boat , the more the wind moves it around for crappie fishing..Don't get to big of a boat...

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 10, 2016, 01:00:15 PM
The bigger the boat , the more the wind moves it around for crappie fishing..Don't get to big of a boat...
X2. I'm not arguing with other people's comments in any way but I prefer a smaller boat when crappie fishing. Bought a 12' Jon boat just for that in fact. I know nothing of the Xpress line of boats but I'm familiar with War Eagle. Been on a couple and they're great boats. I just don't need anything that extravagant for what I do. In fact, my big boat at the moment is a 16' Jon with a 20 HP Mercury on the back. It does all I need it to do and then some.

2eagles

I've had several Jon / flat bottom boats similar to what you're considering. My only suggestion is to get a tiller motor. A console takes up too much space in a 16 foot boat.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: MDTOM84 on September 10, 2016, 07:08:17 PM
I'm not saying for him to buy a 24 foot boat for crappie fishing. I just wanted him to know that SeaArk boats are built tougher than any other Jon boat and will last the rest of his, mine and your life.
Oh yeah, they're tough as nails no doubt. I've never been on the water in one so can't comment on that one but they sure are nice enough with all the features you can get with them. If I were a bass man, I'd want one for sure.

Greg Massey

Quote from: MDTOM84 on September 10, 2016, 07:08:17 PM
I'm not saying for him to buy a 24 foot boat for crappie fishing. I just wanted him to know that SeaArk boats are built tougher than any other Jon boat and will last the rest of his, mine and your life.
Had a seaArk one time didn't care for the boat at all....

Tail Feathers

I have an F&F Custom 16'8" semi-V.  It's thick aluminum, 24" sides and heavy built.  It's good in rough water but it's heavy so trolling around stumps and bridge pylons for crappie is fairly difficult.  It's not hard to get it moving, it's hard to keep from running into things!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wvmntnhick

Id seen a boat at Gootee's marine last year while at the bay that I thought was awesome but couldn't for the life of me remember the name. Had to look it up. It's apparently a G3 boat in their Gator Tough line. It's all camo and after seeing them at the marina and on the water, I really wanted one. Failed to look at the price tag though so no clue how much they are.

howl

Once you get into SeaArk, or even War Eagle money, you can afford a custom job from a one-at-a-time builder. A War Eagle can't touch what you'll get from a small production outfit. You get one made from thick aluminum with welds that look like a stack of dimes and you'll never need another boat. This is in contrast to a War Eagle that looks like they couldn't get it out the door fast enough.

I second going tiller with the shorter, narrower boats up to maybe 1860. Consoles just get in the way. You could get a mini side console or mini side grab bar with wheel like they put in Gheenoes if you have to have one.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: wvmntnhick on September 11, 2016, 07:32:10 AM
Id seen a boat at Gootee's marine last year while at the bay that I thought was awesome but couldn't for the life of me remember the name. Had to look it up. It's apparently a G3 boat in their Gator Tough line. It's all camo and after seeing them at the marina and on the water, I really wanted one. Failed to look at the price tag though so no clue how much they are.
G3 makes a good boat.  They are becoming very popular.  They aren't on the cheap end of the price range but I think they are competitive with the other quality makers.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

coyotetrpr

My cousin had a lowe roughneck several years ago. It was a very tough boat that we used trapping on the Missouri river. I am not sure if they still have the roughneck line but I am pretty sure they have all welded boats.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Cut N Run

I had a 18 foot HydraSport bass boat with a 135 that I sold a few years ago. It didn't like rough water much and would beat you nearly to death in whitecaps. It didn't take long before I began missing the freedom of escape a boat provides, so I bought a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 kayak a couple of years ago.  I have been absolutely killing the crappie all summer trolling crankbaits from it.  I've also boated a few bass up to 4 pounds and catfish up to 8 pounds from it.  My biggest problem with the kayak is that the motor (me) is getting older every day and sometimes it doesn't like to get out of bed too early in the morning. That kayak doesn't have a lot of space to store fish, but man, will it go silently through some skinny water.  I added a Lowrance Hook 4X depthfinder and four rod holders, which make it a blast to fish from.  I also plan to use it to slip into some out of the way public turkey hunting land that is off limits to gas motors and too far for any sane individual to walk.  It is not great in big water, but I've had more close encounters with eagles, osprey, deer, turkeys, muskrats, beavers, and snakes in two years than I did in 20 years of owning my bass boat.  Technically, it is a boat, just a very different kind.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Big Timber

You may want to check on a Havoc, I have a 1556 with a 50hp 2 stroke Tahotsu and I really like it!

catdaddy

Quote from: REBELYELL on September 09, 2016, 11:21:03 PM
I got boat fever and I'm looking for some feedback on Xpress and War Eagle boats. Been looking at 16' to 18' models with 50 to 90 hp 4 strokes. Open to all models, my little small town actually has a dealer for both of my top two choices. I plan on crappie and bass fishing from it, along with running trot lines in the MS river. Heck, I might even get a camo boat for duck hunting in the winter. Any owners on here with some solid reviews?

Quote from: MDTOM84 on September 10, 2016, 12:15:38 PM
Jody do your self a favor and check out SeaArk boats. I have the 2472 MV with a 115 Yamaha and it is nicest Jon boat that I have ever been in. I have had that boat in the Chesapeake bay with 5ft waves and never felt unsafe. SeaArks are built so much tougher any other Jon boats on the market. The aluminum is 1/8in thick and built like a tank!!!

Jody,

I am an old boat guy from way back. Based on the options you presented, I'd go with the 18 ft War Eagle the the 90 four stroke. If you are going to use it in the MS River--you can't have too much boat or motor. The War Eagel boat will be just fine--but since you're takling about a purchase expected to last potetenally the rest of your active life, as some posters have suggested--you should check out the SeaArk--best river boat made in my opinion. Track down David Campbell or Elton there in your county and see what they have to say. Elton and David are on the river all the time.