OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kids cover your ears...

Started by sixbird, September 07, 2016, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Is Razor Dobbs a J.O. or what?
I'm watching Sportsman Channel today. Dobbs comes on. Don't particularly like the guy but, hey, the animals are the stars anyway. I'll just ignore the bravado and see some cool animals.
There's a great axis. Gorgeous animal. Regal, I guess you could even say dignified. An animal that deserves respect and reverence upon his demise...
Well, Razor "dominates" him...Disrespects him. How great I am! How great my equipment is!
Then it's a hog...At night...With all the latest lights/attractants/firearms. BOOM! All sponsors properly acknowledged. Kisses and accolades to the powers that be...Entry/exit wounds properly documented...Yeah, I know, it's a hog. Some would say a scourge but damn, it is, or was, a living creature, trying to survive...How about a little, as my Italian buddy says, "respecta"
The more I watch some of these shows, the more I understand why the anti's hate hunters...
Now it's J. Alain Smith, "Rugged Expeditions." This guy strokes a pot call from the middle, out. He holds the striker by the head...
Of course turkeys gobble and come to that scratching and screeching. He's the expert after all...He moves at precisely the right time. Drops his call for dramatic effect. Bird almost busts him and although he's completely in the open, in the sunlight with his face uncovered, and rolling his call out like a "rabbit" clay target, he manages, due to his superior skills, to kill the bird...Man that bird gobbled all the way in! Like he was on a string! I'm the best! I'm the master! Look at me! Oh, and by the way, did you notice how cool I was under pressure?
Man, how about a little respect...! Some of these guys make me sick...
Now juxtapose that against Steven Rinella ( Meat Eater) or Jim Shockey or Randy Newburg (Fresh Tracks)...True sportsmen who honor their game...

Happy

Meat eater is the only show I make an attempt to watch. The rest is junk in my opinion. Steve Rinella keeps things in perspective and In my opinion puts the true hunter in a much better light than many of these other attention hounds.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

i agree a lot of the show's are way off base, it's all about trying to sell 300 and 400 dollar or more in products..That most hunters can't afford or wouldn't buy anyway....I don't watch them either much anymore..

renegade19

Meat Eater and Fresh Tracks are the only ones that I watch. 

wvmntnhick

I've not seen fresh tracks in a while but I'll say this, I've really taken a liking to Raised Hunting. Could almost listen to the father read the phone book and still be interested. They are down to earth based on what the show lets you see.  And Steve Rinella is tops as well but many have already mentioned that. I like to watch Sasquatch too. Something about using primitive equipment to take your game and being super calm and collected about it just makes me have a bit more respect for him than a lot of others.

guesswho

I watch zero hunting shows so I'm not familar with the show or person you mentioned.   But I can imagine what type of goober your taking about.   I can't stand infomercials, I'm the man hunters, terms like smoked him, excessive fist pumps etc. unless it's a kid.   Kids get a free pass.  I'd rather sit in my back yard and watch my dog aggravate squirrels. 

I do watch some short videos that people post on these hunting forums.    I watch them until I hear nerve racking music or until I see a blind or decoy.   Which means I normally stop watching within about the first 10 seconds.   But there are a few that are well done and keep my interest to the end.   I'm Not against blinds or decoys but I personally have no interest in watching or participating if either are involved.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

A few years ago I quit watching tv shows. However over the last year I have started watching again. I watched the shows mentioned above. Dobbs, I watched because it was on when I turned the tv on. It looks as if he is trying to copy Ted Nugent.  As for "Pro Hunter" Alain Smith, he is no pro.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Farmboy27

Haven't watched any hunting shows in years. Might as well watch the WWF, it's just about as real. I love hunting with my son or my friends and there is always a slap on the back, handshake,or hug, and a "good job, nice shot" after a successful hunt. But there is never a "yeehaw, yeah buddy, I just laid the smack down on a stud swamp donkey thunder chicken!  He's taking a dirt nap!" 

Kylongspur88

The only hunting show I watch is Kentucky Afield. It's on local t.v and is produced by our fish and game departement. You can also catch episodes on YouTube. Other than that I haven't watched any other hunting shows in a while and don't know who this guy is. He sounds like a tool.

Kylongspur88

Did a Google search and if this is him he's definitely a tool....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on September 07, 2016, 08:24:00 PM
The only hunting show I watch is Kentucky Afield. It's on local t.v and is produced by our fish and game departement. You can also catch episodes on YouTube. Other than that I haven't watched any other hunting shows in a while and don't know who this guy is. He sounds like a tool.
I've watched some of the kyafield stuff on YouTube but it's been a while. Is that the one that has the fella with only one arm? I might be mistaken. Pretty sure I've seen an episode or two of them chasing squirrels with dogs though. I need to get back on the pre and check them out again.

Gooserbat

X2 on Meat Eater, best show period.  I like watching Fred Eichler even though it's somewhat commercialized. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

sixbird

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on September 07, 2016, 08:30:08 PM
Did a Google search and if this is him he's definitely a tool....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's him...And yes, you put it much more eloquently than me, he is a tool!
I was in a mood when I wrote the O.P. I love watching the animals and how they interact with each other and, in the case of turkeys, how they interact with a good caller...Nugent, although he's a bulldog advocate for the sport and the 2nd amendment, I just can't watch the magical flight of the majestic arrow, backstrap, Motor City Madman for more than a couple of minutes before I'm like, "O.k. ted...Had enough of ya'..." Same goes for Dobbs...
I mean, get off the ego trip! It's not about YOU!
O.k....I've vented...Thanks for listening...  :^)

Tail Feathers

Dobbs looks like a hipster who like to shoot stuff.  I've never liked his style of his show.
I've never seen meat eater, will have to check it out.  I rarely watch the hunting shows anymore because they tend to be 22 minutes of commercial and 8 minutes of hunting.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Kylongspur88

Quote from: wvmntnhick on September 07, 2016, 09:02:37 PM
Quote from: Kylongspur88 on September 07, 2016, 08:24:00 PM
I've watched some of the kyafield stuff on YouTube but it's been a while. Is that the one that has the fella with only one arm? I might be mistaken. Pretty sure I've seen an episode or two of them chasing squirrels with dogs though. I need to get back on the pre and check them out again.

Yes that's the one. Tim Farmer the old host (he retired a few months ago) was injured in an accident when he was young and only had use of one arm. Never the less he bow hunted, fished and shot birds better than most folks with two arms. The new guy is named Chad and it looks like he will do just fine. The thing I like best about Kentucky Afield is that it's a show about the outdoors and people enjoying it, not a product plug or stage for some tool with an inflated ego.