News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest Recommendations / New Member

Started by TyFlyer21, August 28, 2016, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyFlyer21

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 29, 2016, 01:56:00 PM
Primos gobbler vest. Been using one for 10-11 years now. Always want to try something new but keep talking myself out of it because I'm comfortable with what I've got. It's got plenty of pockets and the strikers are in individual sleeves. I did lose a couple a few years ago but have since figured out how and why it happened so that's under control now. For the days of going light I'd look into the ol' tom vestless shirt.

Thanks!

The gobbler vest caught my eye. What happened to your missing strikers?

Marc

I do a moderate amount of walking, and mobility (even on smaller properties) is important to me.  Sometimes a few hundred yards, sometimes up to 2 miles (in steep terrain).

I did not like the kick-stand type of vests, as they felt cumbersome and added unwanted weight...  But I am a small guy, and have friends who love that vest (and they roam more than I do).

Being a smaller hunter, I have found it difficult to find a vest that fits.  Everything fits me like a hunting dress, and bangs and clangs when I walk....

I ended up with the Tatr'-2 vest and am very happy.  Well designed, and so far durable, with a comfortable, but removable seat cushion.  The other vests that were small enough to fit me, had a very small game bag, and walking out of steep country, I wanted a game bag that could easily hold a large bird...

I did purchase mine on sale, and might wait for such sales to occur in the future... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

kevin2

I've owned Super Elite 2 & 3, and several others that are similar to the Super Elite. I've tried on various vests at Cabelas, Gander Mt, and Bass Pro, and the thing that is amazing, they all feel very different on. I'd highly suggest trying before buying IF you can. As much as I wanted to like certain highly recommended vests suggested here on the OLD Gobbler, they just weren't comfy once I got them on.

Another thing that I'd do, is bring all your stuff with you to the store to put into the pockets & then try it on. That helped me to rule out several vests also.
In the end, I think it is a very personal choice, like a pair of jeans. They don't all feel the same on everyone.

For now, the Super Elite III is still my go to vest.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

TyFlyer21

Quote from: kevin2 on September 03, 2016, 07:57:39 PM
I've owned Super Elite 2 & 3, and several others that are similar to the Super Elite. I've tried on various vests at Cabelas, Gander Mt, and Bass Pro, and the thing that is amazing, they all feel very different on. I'd highly suggest trying before buying IF you can. As much as I wanted to like certain highly recommended vests suggested here on the OLD Gobbler, they just weren't comfy once I got them on.

Another thing that I'd do, is bring all your stuff with you to the store to put into the pockets & then try it on. That helped me to rule out several vests also.
In the end, I think it is a very personal choice, like a pair of jeans. They don't all feel the same on everyone.

For now, the Super Elite III is still my go to vest.

More great advice. Thank you!

The the Cabelas and Gander vests will be a breeze to track down and try on. Ol' Tom vests caught my eye as well.

I hadn't thought of fit besides S/M or L/XL.

Thanks again

kevin2

My Super Elite III is to big, and it would be way better if it was just one size smaller. Worth trying them on. I've bought several online, only to get them here at the house and I didn't like them OR they didn't fit. I sent them right back. To me, it was worth the cash to get them to me. Still in search of that perfect fitting and functioning vest!

Quote from: TyFlyer21 on September 04, 2016, 05:50:47 PM

More great advice. Thank you!

The the Cabelas and Gander vests will be a breeze to track down and try on. Ol' Tom vests caught my eye as well.

I hadn't thought of fit besides S/M or L/XL.

Thanks again
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Tail Feathers

The guys here are right.  Try them, handle them, sit with them and get a feel for the pockets if you can.  I've bought one without trying it first and despite spending almost $150, I'm not overly pleased with it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ncturkey

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on August 29, 2016, 09:00:48 AM
I ditched the vest a couple years ago for this. A lightweight aluminum folding seat and I'm good to go all day.
Tell us more about your small call belt.

ncturkey

I saw saw turkey vest in the bargain cave a Cableas. They had the Cableas Tactat MORE vest on sale for $100.

ncturkey

I like the Mossy Oak Elite vest. But I also use a fanny pack or a small backpack from time to time. I am going to look into the Mossy Oak Turkey Thug Fanny Pack. That go perfect with my Turkey Thug chair.

J.D. Shellnut

I have a game winner from academy sporting goods. Or I think that's what it is I just got it last season. But it did come from academy.Its a nice vest. Plenty of pockets, A very thick seat which is awesome compared to my last vest, and it has some kind of removable back brace frame type deal. If that makes any sense. But let me tell that thing is nice when your setting back against a  tree for a long time. But I find as season goes on I leave it in the truck a lot of times. Or several times I've slipped out of it mid hunt if I'm hot pursuit. But without it I probably couldn't keep up with all my junk.
60% of the time it works every time!

wvmntnhick

I tried on my buddy's mossy oak elite III vest. It didn't fit for reasons obvious to all but the blind (I'm a good bit larger than he is) but I've gotten so used to my Primos gobbler vest that the pocket layout just wouldn't suit me. Had I started with that vest I'd probably like it a lot but for me, the Primos has been a good one. Just bought the cabelas tac tat'r II that was listed in the classifieds here as a rainy day/short hunt vest. Wanted something I could just grab real fast, with a handful of calls in it and roll out. I'd say with that, my Primos gobbler vest and the ol' tom vest less shirt, I should be good to go for about anything. Only thing I don't like about the vest less shirt is there's no way to carry a box call. No matter though. The spring creek scratcher will fit in the pocket with my pot call. Gotta find me a crow call and owl hooter to put in the shirt as well as one for this new vest and I'm good to go. Load them at the beginning of season and just grab whichever one I need at the time.

Happy

Find one that fits you well, has a pocket design that makes sense to you and can carry what you want. In all honesty it doesn't take a lot of equipment to kill a turkey. I like to be prepared just in case. I am usually by myself and I am a traveler.  Often miles from my truck so I come prepared. Matches, snake bite kit, jerky, knife, toilet paper, and compass just to name things off the top of my head. Just remember that it's easy to overload it and be hating life if your eyes are bigger than your back.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Happy on September 06, 2016, 04:55:38 PM
Find one that fits you well, has a pocket design that makes sense to you and can carry what you want. In all honesty it doesn't take a lot of equipment to kill a turkey. I like to be prepared just in case. I am usually by myself and I am a traveler.  Often miles from my truck so I come prepared. Matches, snake bite kit, jerky, knife, toilet paper, and compass just to name things off the top of my head. Just remember that it's easy to overload it and be hating life if your eyes are bigger than your back.
He used to carr a nice first aid kit too. That was until someone forgot their TP and requested the use of the bandages on two separate occasions.

:OGani: Always knew I could count on you.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: ncturkey on September 06, 2016, 11:38:04 AM
Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on August 29, 2016, 09:00:48 AM
I ditched the vest a couple years ago for this. A lightweight aluminum folding seat and I'm good to go all day.
Tell us more about your small call belt.

I can carry a box call, two pot calls, 4 strikers, crow call, coyote howler, gloves/facemask, extra ammo, plastic box with chalk/sandpaper/scotchbrite, and a scratch box. There's still room for more but like to go with that.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com