News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest Recommendations / New Member

Started by TyFlyer21, August 28, 2016, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyFlyer21

Hello All,

First post after much reading throughout OG forums. Tons of wonderful information from the experts here. Thanks to all OG experts!

I'm new to turkey hunting. My father has been turkey slaying  for about 10 years after many years of upland hunting. Needless to say I'm just starting my turkey gear collection.

So far I have a comfortable chair, camo and Avian X feeder decoy. I also have a SS field box and Yingling pot call on the way. My father has plenty of gear to fill in the gaps. My son who is 14 really enjoyed our spring hunt as well. Eventually I plan to accumulate gear to outfit the both of us as well.

For now I'm looking for vest recommendations. I'd love to hear what you all like/dislike, etc. I don't have a preference for built-in seat or not. Tell me about both.

Thanks in advance!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Forget the chair and the decoy.  Remember the SS and the Yingling. A good vest with a seat will also be a great investment.  And welcome to the OG!
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Nothing wrong with having a decoy, for a vest look at the Cabelas super Tat'r 3 turkey vest.  Nothing wrong with having a chair either. People need to realize we all have different way's of hunting..Welcome to OG lot of great people on this site...

Tail Feathers

I got a Tactical Tat'r II last year.  It's a nice vest, but I liked my BassPro Bucklick Creek vest with the built in stadium seat better.
I think another one is in my future.  I will also be looking for a good pad for the seat.  If you're under 50, it's awesome.  Nowadays I look for comfort.  I also use my Gobbler Lounger a good bit.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mgm1955

I've got an Ol' Tom that does everything I need. Welcome and good luck!

Happy

Personally I like the super elite 3 vest. Long as i remember it and my shotgun I am good to go. I have everything I need for for an all day hunt in it. I do switch calls in and out of it but it has more pockets than I need, a comfortable cushion, and it fits my style of hunting. If your in the south it may be a bit warm as it is a full vest. Good luck and welcome.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SwampRooster17

I bought the super elite 3 last year. It's got plenty of pockets and the seat is pretty comfortable. I'm from the south and didn't have a problem with the vest being to hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncwoodsman

GobbleNut

Before making decisions on investments in products, you really need to identify and understand the conditions under which you will be hunting.  The type of vest you should use (and whether you need decoys and chairs), is completely different in some parts of the country than it is in others. 

For example, if you are hunting somewhere that you might have to walk miles to be effectively hunting an area, the type of equipment you need will be completely different than hunting a spot where you will perhaps walk a few hundred yards and then sit all day long.  In the former situation, you need a light-weight vest (or backpack) that will not bog you down and have you sweating all day long or wear you out before you have reached where you really need to be hunting.  Whereas in the latter case, you might prefer a bulkier vest that carries more stuff for a short hike to your set-up, and has a really comfortable cushion for long periods of sitting. 

Identify what you truly need for the type of hunting you will be doing.   

Spring Creek Calls

I ditched the vest a couple years ago for this. A lightweight aluminum folding seat and I'm good to go all day.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TyFlyer21

Quote from: GobbleNut on August 29, 2016, 08:48:28 AM
Before making decisions on investments in products, you really need to identify and understand the conditions under which you will be hunting.  The type of vest you should use (and whether you need decoys and chairs), is completely different in some parts of the country than it is in others. 

For example, if you are hunting somewhere that you might have to walk miles to be effectively hunting an area, the type of equipment you need will be completely different than hunting a spot where you will perhaps walk a few hundred yards and then sit all day long.  In the former situation, you need a light-weight vest (or backpack) that will not bog you down and have you sweating all day long or wear you out before you have reached where you really need to be hunting.  Whereas in the latter case, you might prefer a bulkier vest that carries more stuff for a short hike to your set-up, and has a really comfortable cushion for long periods of sitting. 

Identify what you truly need for the type of hunting you will be doing.

I couldn't agree more. You make a very good point.

This past spring I was able to set up camp (blind and decoys) relatively close to where we parked. I didn't need mobility so the chair did well.

There are a few places we are hunting this fall. Each spot has it's own set of conditions. I'm thinking if I find a nice vest with a seat I'll be set for either hunting situation.

I appreciate your input.

Yoder409

Another vote for ditching the vest.

Went vestless with a waist pack years ago..........a daypack for longer excursions.  Only time I'd put the vest back on is if I thought I'd  have to carry a bird out a long, long way.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

spursRus

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on August 29, 2016, 09:00:48 AM
I ditched the vest a couple years ago for this. A lightweight aluminum folding seat and I'm good to go all day.
My one big question, where do you put the water?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wvmntnhick

Primos gobbler vest. Been using one for 10-11 years now. Always want to try something new but keep talking myself out of it because I'm comfortable with what I've got. It's got plenty of pockets and the strikers are in individual sleeves. I did lose a couple a few years ago but have since figured out how and why it happened so that's under control now. For the days of going light I'd look into the ol' tom vestless shirt.