turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Semi auto 3.5" turkey gun

Started by Canamkayaker, August 26, 2016, 12:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canamkayaker

I'm shopping for a new set up. I prefer 26" barrel or shorter and it must be 3.5 inch chambered. What is your recommendations?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Canamkayaker on August 26, 2016, 12:44:43 PM
I'm shopping for a new set up. I prefer 26" barrel or shorter and it must be 3.5 inch chambered. What is your recommendations?
The Benelli, SBEII or Super Vinci or Mossberg 935 would all be good choices.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

dirt road ninja

935, if it's she is going to be a dedicated turkey gun.

If I was in the market I'd also consider the SX3 and the A5.

davisd9

If you get a benelli get a good sight cause you will need it to correct poa and poi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: davisd9 on August 26, 2016, 07:21:49 PM
If you get a benelli get a good sight cause you will need it to correct poa and poi.   

x2  I own several and have chased those gremlins all in 3 1/2 in chamber. I opt for my T/C Encore with optics. 9 times out of 10 I call them inside 20 yards. Patterning my son's 20 gauge 870 youth has changed my way of thinking also. I couldn't believe the patterns coming from it.

Canamkayaker

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on August 26, 2016, 08:18:54 PM

x2  I own several and have chased those gremlins all in 3 1/2 in chamber. I opt for my T/C Encore with optics. 9 times out of 10 I call them inside 20 yards. Patterning my son's 20 gauge 870 youth has changed my way of thinking also. I couldn't believe the patterns coming from it.

Was the 870 good or bad? If so what choke is in the Remington

1iagobblergetter

Unbelievably good. Just a Primos tightwad and H-13 #7s. If my 12 year old  boy wasn't so stingy with his guns I'd pack it whenever he wasn't with . Lol... Lightweight, kicks less....check out the 20 gauge section on here. A lot of good info.

Canamkayaker

Well I'm replacing an 870 super magnum 12 gauge. Maybe I should try a different choke. Part of the reason why I interested in an upgrade is I've never been really happy with the pattern. I'm using a pattermaster turkey.

1iagobblergetter

That 870 12gauge should be a lights out at 40 yds gun easily. In my 870 12 gauge  3 1/2 (gobbler) I use a .660 Primos Jelly head also have a .665 and I shoot 3 inch and 3 1/2 inch H-13 #7s..Check the 870 thread on here youll get great help and info.I haven't used mine in years. I almost always use my T/C Encore Kicks .655 h13 #7s Nikon turkey pro even when I have several Benellis. I should have a gun sale,but never sell anything. My kids call me a hoarder of guns and turkey calls. Lol...

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Canamkayaker on August 26, 2016, 09:15:53 PM
Well I'm replacing an 870 super magnum 12 gauge. Maybe I should try a different choke. Part of the reason why I interested in an upgrade is I've never been really happy with the pattern. I'm using a pattermaster turkey.
I have a couple of suggestions, after reading your reason for looking to "upgrade" your gun. You may be able to get what you want from your 870 without buying a new gun. The first thing I'd recommend is that you "deep clean" the bore. Here's a link to the guidelines and I really recommend that you follow them closely. http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/tagged/cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel This very simple procedure has helped a lot of guns pattern better over the years.

Another suggestion is that you try some 3" shells in your gun. I'm sure you know that a 3" shell shoots just as far and can really do all that a 3.5" shell can do. It just has less recoil and in many guns a 3" shell will pattern better. It's all about the combined energy of the pellets that hit the bird. There are many good shells and I'd recommend that you try 3" Winchester Long Beard (WLB) shells with 1.75 oz of #6 shot or 3" Hevi-13 shells with 2 oz of #6 shot.

There are also many good to excellent turkey chokes on the market today. However, before investing in one, I'd recommend that you try your deep cleaned bore and choke with one or both of the 3" shells with #6 shot before making that investment. I'd recommend that you shoot at some "big paper" at least 3' x 3' and see how your patterns look. If you don't like them, you can always get a new choke but with the deep clean and 3" shells, you may be happy with what you have.

I hope that helps. Please let us know how that works for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Farmboy27

X3. My super black eagle shot almost a foot left. Not what you would expect for a gun of that price. I do feel that they are well made guns. But I don't feel that you should have to put an optic on a $1600 shotgun to make it hit where you want.

PALongspur

My SBEII and my M2 20 were both spot on right out of the box.

davisd9

Quote from: PALongspur on September 04, 2016, 08:43:55 PM

My SBEII and my M2 20 were both spot on right out of the box.

Buy a lottery ticket before the luck leaves you.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

A foot left is for those tough right to left crossing shots  ;)

Two that shoot true , agreed on the lottery ticket. Lol