turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many box call users...

Started by Jbird22, August 22, 2016, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

prefer a Turpin style box over the others? I bought my first Turpin box a few weeks ago and after a bit of a learning curve I prefer it over my others. Anyone else feel the same way?

Spitten and drummen

I have a ton of box calls but in my opinion my turpin style boxes sound better to me than my cost style. They just have a Yawk that sounds very very realistic.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Hooksnhorns

You know what my opinion is, gotta have that yawk. I do prefer a Turpin.  :z-twocents:
Don't Tread On Me

Jbird22

Quote from: Hooksnhorns on August 22, 2016, 08:58:30 PM
You know what my opinion is, gotta have that yawk. I do prefer a Turpin.  :z-twocents:
Yep, I was already counting on your vote being yes.  :icon_thumright:

mgm1955

As a well known Turpin maker told me, some days they like the Turpin, some days they like the Cost. Best thing is to be comfortable with both styles and let the turkeys decide.

hotspur

what wood is in these boxes if you don't mind me asking

silverspur

Quote from: mgm1955 on August 22, 2016, 09:55:42 PM
As a well known Turpin maker told me, some days they like the Turpin, some days they like the Cost. Best thing is to be comfortable with both styles and let the turkeys decide.

Mike you got that right my friend.  I like em both but those Turpins are growing on me!
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

strutnrut

For those that know me Yes a Turpin gets my nod. I like the Black Limba and Snakewood best. It's had to beat a Teak and Snakewood but they require a bit more maintenance.  I have killed several with an English Walnut and Ebony but I replaced the lid and ended up with a Snakewood lid on the call.
Bodies= Persimmon, Teak, Black Limba, English or Black Walnut, Apple, Maple, Mahogany and have built a couple out of Zebra Wood.
Paddles= Snakewood, Macassar, Rosewood, Katlox, Chenchen, Cherry   

Will

Quote from: hotspur on August 23, 2016, 09:33:07 AM

I have a few of Richard Hudson but that apple with Snakewood lid is absolutely one of the best. I called in a young hen this past spring and she stood 20 yards in front of me knowing I didn't look like a turkey but she couldn't resist yelping back to that box.

https://youtu.be/MbB3DuU0gBI

Try this link. This is the box I'm talking about. I also have a teak and rosewood that's killed birds too.

M Sharpe

Yes sir, I love a turpin style box!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: strutnrut on August 23, 2016, 02:12:03 PM
For those that know me Yes a Turpin gets my nod. I like the Black Limba and Snakewood best. It's had to beat a Teak and Snakewood but they require a bit more maintenance.  I have killed several with an English Walnut and Ebony but I replaced the lid and ended up with a Snakewood lid on the call.
Bodies= Persimmon, Teak, Black Limba, English or Black Walnut, Apple, Maple, Mahogany and have built a couple out of Zebra Wood.
Paddles= Snakewood, Macassar, Rosewood, Katlox, Chenchen, C

Yep i own 8 of richards box calls. my personal favorite is tied between a snakewood over english walnut and a snakewood over black limba. one of these is always in my vest.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Jbird22

My Turpin-style box is Mahogany with a Bloodwood lid. I really like that particular combination!

Hooksnhorns

Quote from: hotspur on August 23, 2016, 09:33:07 AM

My hen box was made by Richard, and it is macassar over teak.
Don't Tread On Me

jed clampett

Yoder409

Embarrassed to admit that as many boxes as I have accumulated............ I have never even HELD a Turpin style.

Would someone be so kind as to explain how they differ, as far as running one, from a Cost style box ??   Are the sizes angled differently ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.