turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your camo dipping experience please.

Started by Fox Fire, August 15, 2016, 06:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

Have a few pieces Ive thought about having dipped, maybe even a whole gun, just wanted to see what y'all had to say before hand.

Who done your work ?
Did the colors look as expected ?
How did the finish hold up over time ?
what would you do different ?
And pics would be cool. :you_rock:
Thanks in advance .

Uncle Tom

Foxfire, have used Jim Crumley camo dipping out of Roanoke Va. for years and he does perfect work. Have a BPS that was dipped 10 yrs ago and been hunted hard for turkey...looks almost new. Just got a wingmaster 870 dipped in Bottomland pattern that is an eye opener....had a wood stock/forarm that I replaced with a Remington camo fiberglass and it is a 1990 that has not been shot just few times...looked like new...only weighs 7.3 lb...and with a turkey choke it threw a tighter pattern than my BPS..plus considerably lighter and shorter barrel...so it is my go to gun for turkey now. Check out his site and all the patterns available...takes about 4 weeks turn around time...had mine done right after turkey season. Jim invented treeland camo pattern back in 90's i believe...super guy and knows the process and how to do it right....have compared to factory jobs and Jim's looks better...son has a camo A-5 Browning that looks great but this in bottomland pattern puts it to shame. Let us know how goes.

dms2511

I have had great experience with TARJAC. They offer both Mossy Oak and Realtree patterns, and i have never been disapointed with their work. They have been in the business for a long time, and i have had no regrets in dealing with them on multiple guns and accesories.

hunter22

Not a turkey gun but I recently had this rifle dipped by Don Mullis of Camo Solutions. He lives in Evening Shade, Arkansas, and does a lot of shotguns. My rifle in is NatGear and the Leupold scope, rings, mounts and rifle metal work in Earth Tan. He has a website.

aaron

How much do you use the guns you're thinking of dipping?   Even the best dip jobs will wear out if they are guns you use regularly.  I was in the situation of re dipping every 8-10 years or so even using the best of the best( I also used camo solutions).  I recently cerakoted my sbe.   You should look into it.  It's quite a bit more durable than dipping.  If you don't hunt these guns hard you're ok with a dip lasting 10+ years.  I hunt my turkey guns 30+ days afield a year.  That will put a whoopin on a camo dip job

wvmntnhick

I'm not a fan of dip job. They'll actually let a gun rust from the inside out. Sounds stupid but I've seen it. All it takes is for the paint to get a small chip in it and that's where it begins. I'm not saying that it's going to happen to every gun but it does happen. I'll second the cerakote job. It's going to cost more but it won't chip and wear like the dip job plus it's waterproof forever.