OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Unemployment

Started by 2eagles, August 12, 2016, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

Why is there talk of unemployment? At home and especially lately on vacation, it seems many, many places have "help wanted" signs. Fast food, meat packing, discount stores and home improvement are all wanting help. No wonder immigrants are taking over so many jobs when our government practically pays people not to work. Kinda ticks this ol guy off. Nothing new, I just needed to vent.    >:(

Dr Juice

Farmboy27

No one wants to actually "work" anymore. It seems everyone wants everything for nothing. At the building construction company that I work for, we hire guys that show up for a day or two and that's it. They find out that they may have to sweat alittle for their pay and decide unemployment or welfare is easier!  And the future ain't looking any better. I have offered high school kids $15 an hour to help on the farm and almost all of them say "nope, I'm not working for that".

2eagles

A manager of the worlds largest in its category,  told me he wanted a college kid to work for the summer. Not hard work, but out of bed very early and 40 hours. Offered $6000. between semesters and had ZERO takers.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: 2eagles on August 12, 2016, 09:43:40 PM
A manager of the worlds largest in its category,  told me he wanted a college kid to work for the summer. Not hard work, but out of bed very early and 40 hours. Offered $6000. between semesters and had ZERO takers.
If my son were available I  am sure he would take it but his summers are full and busy at this point and time. He is currently a freshman at the United States Air Force Academy. He knows what hard work is. His Mom and I  taught him that early in life.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Farmboy27

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on August 12, 2016, 10:13:41 PM
Quote from: 2eagles on August 12, 2016, 09:43:40 PM
If my son were available I  am sure he would take it but his summers are full and busy at this point and time. He is currently a freshman at the United States Air Force Academy. He knows what hard work is. His Mom and I  taught him that early in life.
Exactly!  I have raised my boy to value every dollar and to work hard for everything. It's the way I was raised and I have no regrets!  Somewhere along the way this country has lost sight of honest work ethic!

greengunner

I don't blame it entirely on the youth of this country. Ever since they have been old enough all they have heard is go to school ,get your degree, and you'll get a cushy job. As we all know that isn't the way the real world is. That's the way the current gov't preaches it, "you got a degree; you deserve to set behind the desk and manage", but as we all know, and as my dad always said. "Everybody can't be a chair polisher, this world needs ditch diggers too".

2eagles

My middle child decided college wasn't for him. He was back home, living with us. Rule was, he needed to be working and he was. One night, he got home from work very late. Well, he lost that job and knew he'd better not come home until he found a new one. Started the new job the next day.
He's a journeyman plumber now. College isn't for everyone!

Tail Feathers

My youngest is about to start college and is real apprehensive about it.
She said last week that Cosmetology School sounded a lot better. :z-dizzy:
If she will do her part, college will work out better for her in the long run I think.  But no, college isn't for everyone.  Maybe not even my youngest...we shall see.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

SteelerFan

Quote from: Farmboy27 on August 12, 2016, 09:34:11 PM
No one wants to actually "work" anymore. It seems everyone wants everything for nothing. At the building construction company that I work for, we hire guys that show up for a day or two and that's it. They find out that they may have to sweat alittle for their pay and decide unemployment or welfare is easier!  And the future ain't looking any better. I have offered high school kids $15 an hour to help on the farm and almost all of them say "nope, I'm not working for that".

Wow. Crazy. SAD...

I'm proud to say my college senior son is working a 14 hr day today - because he agreed to help the night shift. Straight time / $9 hr. He tells me all the time about the lack of work ethic of his co-worker millenials or Gen Z, or whatever it is now.

I worked farm / orchard jobs for $3.15 when I started summer jobs.

greengunner

I think any further advancement of ones education is a good thing. Be it college or a trade school or whatever. But the current generation and the ones coming need to realize it is not the end all towards your future, and the current establishment needs to stop preaching that it is. People need to realize these institutions are a business. They are here to put $$$ to their bottom line.

Happy

One day there were a few fellows trying to bum change at a plaza I was shopping at. I ran inside of one the stores that had a help wanted sign at the window. I got a handful of applications and handed them to them. If looks could kill I would have been dead.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

2eagles

Quote from: Happy on August 14, 2016, 11:09:20 AM
One day there were a few fellows trying to bum change at a plaza I was shopping at. I ran inside of one the stores that had a help wanted sign at the window. I got a handful of applications and handed them to them. If looks could kill I would have been dead.

So you're saying Happy made them unhappy?     :lol:

Happy

Little bit. Has happened before though :o  In all honesty work ethic has gone out the window. In some ways I am glad I was raised by a single mom who scraped to get by. I learned the value of work and earning your way. Started out if high school at a construction company at 6.25 an hour. 17 years later I am still there and have a position in management. It took 16 years and doing a lot of jobs no one see wanted to do. Have worked from New York to New Mexico and spent hundreds of nights away from my wife and kids. Glad it's over now but I am proud of what I have accomplished and it ticks me off to see people turn down perfectly good jobs because they feel it is beneath them. I respect anyone who works. I don't care if it's at walmart as long as your doing the best you can.  There is no pride in earning what you have anymore and it's ruining the country. Welfare and other such programs need seriously overhauled. If people get hungry enough then they may find some new inspiration.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Farmboy27

Quote from: Happy on August 14, 2016, 06:58:05 PM
Little bit. Has happened before though :o  In all honesty work ethic has gone out the window. In some ways I am glad I was raised by a single mom who scraped to get by. I learned the value of work and earning your way. Started out if high school at a construction company at 6.25 an hour. 17 years later I am still there and have a position in management. It took 16 years and doing a lot of jobs no one see wanted to do. Have worked from New York to New Mexico and spent hundreds of nights away from my wife and kids. Glad it's over now but I am proud of what I have accomplished and it ticks me off to see people turn down perfectly good jobs because they feel it is beneath them. I respect anyone who works. I don't care if it's at walmart as long as your doing the best you can.  There is no pride in earning what you have anymore and it's ruining the country. Welfare and other such programs need seriously overhauled. If people get hungry enough then they may find some new inspiration.
Amen my brother!!!