OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

first turkey...crazy story.

Started by 200racing, April 05, 2011, 09:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

200racing

i have been seeing turkey in a grass havested sowbean field in the afternoons since before season. i had tried getting within range a half a dozen times and something always went wrong but not today.
   driving in i saw a bird in strut in the field. i parked on the other side of a finger of woods with a gully in it.they were behing a terrace when i got to the edge of the field so i was able to crawl and get set up facing south. i watch a tom strut and hen fight for almost a hour. as it got roosting time they started going west. there are 2 roost they use and i guessed wrong. as soon a they got out of sight i jumped up and ran down some of our dirtbike trails through the gully to the road and down the road to intercept them.
    when i got to the gap that lets you in the field i saw a bird. the field was howlin and i was wearing a leaf suit. i slowly walked into the gap a bit and stood behind a mutli-trunks leafy sapling. the bird i saw was a tom and he was feeding my way. he got about 30yds and i did a chirp he stood up and i let him have it.
   he rocked back but then turned and flew around the finger of woods towards the other roost i knew about. i went to the truck took my gear of drooped my calls and just took my gun to go search for him. crossed through the finger of woods looking for a bird on roost or base of a tree. i stepped out into the field and thats when i saw him out in the field about 110yds as the crow flies from where i shot him. it looked like a plane wreck there was a 20yd feather trail and slide mark then him crumpled up.
stats 17.9lbs,9in beard,7/8in spurs.

weatherby pa-08.undertaker choke.tru-glo tru bead.
win. hv #5 3in
rem. premeir mag. #6 3in

turkeys aren't hard to kill....they're hard to kill legally.

sugarray

looks great.  Good hunt and congratulations.

Basser69

redarrow

Congrats on number one. May he be the first of many. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

bowhunter84

TURKEYSLAYER101

Congrats!  :icon_thumright:

TURKEYSLAYER 101
Some people hear voices in their heads. I hear turkeys!!!!

JVA54

kj

Hognutz

Congrats on a nice bird. Sometimes it is not ''text book'' when it comes to making it happen. You did you what needed to to kill the bird. Great job..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Duke0002

Congrats on the hunt and the bird.  Sometimes you gotta fly be the seat of your pants!

Gobble!

archery1

:z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
GREAT PCS AND CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST ONE..
THIS WILL BE A MEMORY THAT YOU WON'T FORGET
Take a kid hunting

PANYHunter

Congrats on a great first bird!!!

furtracker

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!