turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Darn turkeys

Started by 2eagles, July 22, 2016, 10:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I'll probably get tarred and feathered for that remark, but here goes.  I've been working on a deer hunting food plot this year. Im planting soon for a late season food source, but the area I'm working is in a timber and rather small. I had a trail cam out last week and have lots of turkey pics. Once I plant, im worried the turkeys will eat my seed and the plants.
Here my idea. I have a life size plywood cutout of a dog that I could put in the middle of the plot. Do you guys think that would keep the turkeys out? Probably keep the deer out too until the plants get established.  Just long enough to get healthy plants.

Greg Massey

Most of the time it's just best to plant for the turkeys and the food plot. What i mean is put out plenty of seeds for both..lol

bbcoach

A couple of things you can do:
1. As Greg said, up your seeding rate, especially if you are planting grains.  The turkeys will get some but you should still get a good stand
2. Plant right before a good soaking rain.  With grains, rain and heat they will normally germinate in about 4 days so the birds won't get as much seed
3. And the best idea is invite some of your buddies on the Old Gobbler website to help you thin out the population next spring LOL  GOOD LUCK with the food plot!

Dr Juice

Thumbs up to number 3 :-)

All The Way!

hotspur

Quote from: bbcoach on July 23, 2016, 07:07:47 AM
1. As Greg said, up your seeding rate, especially if you are planting grains.  The turkeys will get some but you should still get a good stand
2. Plant right before a good soaking rain.  With grains, rain and heat they will normally germinate in about 4 days so the birds won't get as much seed
3. And the best idea is invite some of your buddies on the Old Gobbler website to help you thin out the population next spring LOL  GOOD LUCK with the food plot!
awsome plan count me in ????

Happy

Could always put out a scarecrow. In all honesty when I worked in the field as an electrician we would put owl decoys on high line poles to keep birds from roosting on them. Just a thought.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

quavers59

Go to walmart in the garden area and get a great horned owl decoy. Put that in the middle of the food plot!

wvmntnhick

I'll come chase them off your plot for you. There's an hourly wage involved along with some fringe benefits that we'll discuss later but I'm willing to help out.

2eagles

Well, I "over seeded" this morning. I also left ol' Ply in the food plot. He's a Shorthair pointer I used to teach my dogs to back another dog on point. I think he would be more intimidating than an owl.
Inviting others to thin the turkey population is a nice thought, but this is an urban area antlerless deer hunting area for archery hunting. Thanks for the input!

bbcoach

Keep us informed on how the food plot turns out.

2eagles

Had almost 2 inches of rain this afternoon. I'd call that a "good soaking" rain. Violent thunderstorms and even tornados to the east of us.

trkehunr93

Quote from: bbcoach on July 23, 2016, 07:07:47 AM
I like number 3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Quote from: 2eagles on July 23, 2016, 08:47:19 PM
Had almost 2 inches of rain this afternoon. I'd call that a "good soaking" rain. Violent thunderstorms and even tornados to the east of us.
That should do it!  What did you plant?

hotspur

Quote from: 2eagles on July 23, 2016, 08:47:19 PM
your gonna have a he k of a food plot

2eagles

That should do it!  What did you plant?
[/quote]

Rack Radish Crush. Then I read an article that said radishes aren't a good idea in a small plot. Oh well. If this doesn't work, I might have time to plant a clover / oats mix. I did radishes because a friend does well with them and the IA DNR plants them.