turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pioneer Airbow

Started by SteelerFan, July 13, 2016, 06:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Topic for discussion: the new pioneer airbow...

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/ata-show-2016/introducing-the-2016-crosman-pioneer-airbow/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqMkjYjmtw

At the risk of igniting the old Xbow vs. compound vs. recurve / longbow "discussion", I'm curious as to what others are thinking about this new technology.

I'll go first...

My initial reaction was shaking my head and rolling my eyes, thinking this is another gadget adding to the erosion of sportsmanship, ethics, and fair chase. BUT, after letting my mind open up a little, I have to admit that I am intrigued and not as offended as I originally thought.

I am a bowhunter. I shoot a Mathews compound. I started with a Bear Whitetail in 1982. I never have shot traditional (but I envy those that do). I used to think crossbows were for the unskilled, non dedicated, "looking for an easy way out" crowd. I don't think that anymore. I have seen friends and family enjoy time in the woods with a crossbow. I realize it's still hunting. I realize there is skill in getting the shot, and it doesn't necessarily have to coincide with the skill in making / taking the shot. That becomes a personal choice, in my opinion.

I'm not advocating the use of the airbow during the regular archery seasons for deer - although I wouldn't be too upset. I really don't see that much difference between it and a crossbow, other than it might be safer (cock & decock), easier to use for younger / older shooters, and offer a more efficient means for a follow up or 2nd shot. It would be less cumbersome in a tree, or on the ground waiting for that gobbler.

I think it's game changing technology that is going to make an impact on the hunting industry. IF you are a crossbow hunter now, or thinking about it, or have to use it for physical limitations, etc. - think about this: Why not use the airbow?

Just curious to what others have thought about it...if you even knew about it. I foresee States legalizing this weapon for hunting deer & turkey at least during times when firearms are permitted.

Discuss...

wvmntnhick

Bowguy

It'd be fine to be used anywhere outside of archery season.

guesswho

I'll pass.   But I can see where it would appeal to a lot of folks.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

I am not big on crossbows still myself. Unless physically disabled that is. No problem with children either. It's a personal choice and there was a day when my compound was questioned. Just personally not a fan of this easier, faster mentality these days. I have shot two deer instinctively. Still with a compound tho. My hat is off to the traditional bow guys but I do enjoy tinkering with a compound.I Am sure this new bow will be a hot item though. 

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Farmboy27

Really don't see how they can call it an airbow since there is no bow involved. Arrow gun would be more appropriate. It would deffinatly be more maneuverable than a crossbow. The bottem line is hunting is a constantly evolving sport. New equipment is constantly being designed and advertised as being the best thing yet. And has hunters everywhere are finding themselves with less time to hunt and less hunting ground available, many are buying into many of the new products that promise easier results. Add into that the fact that hunting shows are preaching the latest technology and showing us the great animals they take using them(even though the average hunter with average hunting ground doesn't have a prayer of killing such animals), and you have a marketing dream!  I don't agree with it myself but if it's legal and you want to use it then go for it!  I know a longbow shooter who still hates my compound! 

SteelerFan

I can see where this will have crossbow manufacturers scrambling...

Shoulder-fired (launched) 26" arrow at 450 fps, able to cock with 2 fingers, etc. etc. just might make the crossbow obsolete. I remember the fall hunting catalogs would come, and there might have been 1 page with 3 or 4 crossbows and accessories on it. Now? What, 10 pages??

I'm not interested in hunting with it, but stock options are another thing! Lol

** I believe Maryland is going to make this a legal weapon to hunt with during firearm / muzzleloader seasons. Urban, small parcel hunters might be able to take advantage of this, for sure.

Marc

Quote from: Bowguy on July 13, 2016, 07:10:53 PM
It'd be fine to be used anywhere outside of archery season.
Yep...  I see no advantage of this weapon over a rifle for hunting, but there is most certainly a huge advantage over a bow (i.e. compound, recurve, etc).

Could be a means to take birds on smaller more residential areas more quietly, and could add some degree of challenge to hunting big game over a rifle.  However, I would hate to let loose an arrow by accident in the wrong area though...

Currently, in California, we are allowed to use air rifles, and I am looking at a Benjamin .25 cal to hunt turkeys with.  Bird still has to be close, and I would expect taking a bird with an air rifle will still be considerably more challenging than with a shotgun...  But it could give me the opportunity to hunt some different areas without disturbing land-owners and leaving a smaller footprint (i.e. no loud BOOM of a shotgun to alert game or other hunters).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

silvestris

For deer, I don't care what one uses so long as they eliminate those snorting glorified goats.  It is a poacher's dream though.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Dr Juice

I'm not interested in investing for one, it would bother me none if it was allowed in NY as a hunting weapon. To fellow NYs - don't hold your breath on this one. When it comes to conservation efforts, the DEC consistently comes in a day late and dollar short.

All The Way!

fallhnt

Quote from: silvestris on July 13, 2016, 10:55:10 PM
For deer, I don't care what one uses so long as they eliminate those snorting glorified goats.  It is a poacher's dream though.
LOL,you sound like me.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

lowoctane

:morning:
Pretty cool. I have a compound and a crossbow, so this would be another toy for me. How much for the privelage to own one, with all the gadgets?  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

dirt road ninja

Cool weapon, but not a bow.

Gobspur

Quote from: lowoctane on July 14, 2016, 09:17:09 AM
:morning:
Pretty cool. I have a compound and a crossbow, so this would be another toy for me. How much for the privelage to own one, with all the gadgets?  :camohat:

I see Cabelas has the package for $899.99.  Little pricey for me.

Interesting new weapon though.  If its legal to use, okay then.  The choice to use is an individuals own opinion and desire.

GSLAM95

I shot it at the ATA show this past January and it is an interesting weapon indeed.  The big discussion has been what states will allow it and where will it fit in.  I personally don't have the desire for one but I know there will be a nitch market for them even with the season/use controversy. 

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.