OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I want to talk about Jimmy Schaffer...

Started by sixbird, July 09, 2016, 01:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Friend and I took the three hour drive to visit with Jimmy Schaffer of Oak Ridge Custom Calls, in Northern N.J. yesterday. Our anticipation was, we'd see his shop, buy a call or two and have a short chat, and return home...
Well, that's not at all what happened...Jimmy invited us into his shop as soon as we arrived. We chatted about his operation. He showed us how he makes his calls and gave us some insight about sound quality, materials, history of the materials in his calls (there's some interesting stuff there). We talked about hunting and kids and people in the turkey world. He graciously opened his home to us and showed us his call collection and his big dog and his ribbons and trophies (which he minimizes). He dragged out any number of calls that he's made, both present and past. He showed us his turkey vest and gave us some tee's and hats and covers for our calls. We sat in his living room and he treated us like old friends...
He played call after call so we could decide which ones we liked...And get this! There was a prototype that didn't even have a finish on it yet. He had used it in the woods and called in two gobblers with it.We liked it, so he put a finish on it while we were there. It came home with me!
I got the very first new iteration of his bronzed glass over aluminum. It's in a cherry pot that, if I recall correctly came from cherry wood from a local farm (could have come out of an old barn...Too much info. to recall for sure)...Beautiful call and it sounds GREAT!
My friend got a few gorgeous pots and some strikers that I'm sure he'll post soon...
Jimmy invited us to lunch and offered some other kindnesses that were above and beyond...
What struck us the most though was the genuine likability and kindness of a guy who owed us nothing. A guy who has gained notoriety by way of his extraordinary skill at his craft...A humble guy who has made a mark on the turkey hunting world like only a handful of others. He's at the pinnacle of his craft...Yet, he treated a couple of knuckleheads like us like we were something special...
So...If you're looking for a great call, from a great guy, don't hesitate to call Jimmy. He's the real deal and he'll "hook you up!" 1-973-208-9029 or 1-973-479-3690

Happy

I agree. A great call maker is only half of what Mr. Schaffer is. I have purchased two calls from him and he is a pleasure to deal with. He made a call to commemorate my son's first gobbler and it sounds as beautiful as it looks. You cannot go wrong ordering from him.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

1iagobblergetter

FL-Boss

Never met him face to face, but talked to him last season about a few calls for me and a buddy. Great guy to chat with, he put the calls in the mail to me right after we hung up the phone.. without payment yet mind you. Was reassuring to to see some people still do business like that.

And to add.. I have a wall full of pot calls.. too many. Jimmy's call is 1 of the 2 calls I actually carry in my vest when I hunt. I killed a nice Merriam with it a few weeks after I got it.  He makes a top notch all around pot call.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

yelpaholic

:z-winnersmiley: I bought an aluminum call from him in one of his bargain closeouts he did this spring.. wound up beating out my other calls for first outta the vest all spring.  called up SEVERAL longbeards with it...Will surely try more of his calls in the future..

OHturkey85

Great guy to deal with and treats people good plus he makes a killer turkey call!

Fieldturkey

beakbuster10

Super stand up guy. I just got a blue mahoe from him last week. Call came in the mail and I was shocked because I hadn't paid for it. I called him right away and he said he works on a honor system, send you the call then you see payment if you're happy with the call (of course I was, it's all hen turkey!). Ended up talking turkeys and bass fishing for an hour with him. Great guy and awesome call maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monty690

I can't add to but I can definitely confirm all of the good things that were said about him.
He'd be a good neighbor.

SteelerFan

Agreed.... class act and one of the good people in this world. I appreciate his enthusiasm for his call making and wanting you to enjoy it.

captpete

Jimmy is the Man!!! My next call(s) will be from him.
  I was looking for somebody to make a call for as a graduation gift for my buddy's boy and Jimmy was suggest by a couple of people. I contacted him by email and the response I got was to call him. I made the call and spent about an hour with him on the phone discussing the call. He brought up things I hadn't thought of and gave me several options & ideas. Through the process I spoke with him 5-6 times. Each time we talked(about 15-20 minutes each), he made me feel that this project was just as important to him(if not more) as it was to me. We got everything figured out and in less than 1 1/2 weeks I had the call in my hands. Along with the call there was a hand written letter congratulating him on getting the Gobbler, explaining that I had asked him(Jimmy) to make the call, what the call was made of, a matched striker with the boys name on it, a T-shirt and a can koozie.

Bowguy

Jimmy is a good guy. It's hard to believe I haven't known him my whole life. Sometimes I stop by after work just to run calls or bs w him. I'm sure he has calls to make yet never short changes anyone. Of course he makes some great calls n there's never not at least one of his in my vest.

Bowguy

Quote from: yelpaholic on July 09, 2016, 09:49:26 PM
:z-winnersmiley: I bought an aluminum call from him in one of his bargain closeouts he did this spring.. wound up beating out my other calls for first outta the vest all spring.  called up SEVERAL longbeards with it...Will surely try more of his calls in the future..
Jimmys aluminum are some of the best if not the best. I have 2 n they've been outstanding on birds. Id never be without at least one one, even carrying other makers aluminum Jimmys is always w me.