turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why are Tennesse gobblers so big?

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 04, 2011, 11:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

I keep seeing posts about 24 & 25 pound Tennessee gobblers, and this has been going on for quite a few years now. What makes Tennessee turks so big??? ???

bird

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 04, 2011, 11:27:49 PM
I keep seeing posts about 24 & 25 pound Tennessee gobblers, and this has been going on for quite a few years now. What makes Tennessee turks so big??? ???

Must be the water coming from the streams of God's Country.  One thing Iowa has always been know for is big ol' turks and brute deer cuz of the "corn fed" saying but I will have to say the largest bird I have ever taken didn't come from Iowa but came from Tennessee.  I was just amazed at the size of the fat hog!

bird

ILIKEHEVI-13

They do have some big birds for sure.  Speaking of big birds, check out this 28lb bird from MO.  You can tell he's big when he first comes in the field and is on the video. 

I converted the kilos on the scale on the left from 12.75 kg to lbs and came up with 28lbs.  Then I watched it again and the scale on lbs is 28 and then jumps to 32lbs on the printed numbers. 

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8o3Ho93-8cw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jwhunter

i dont know where these guys are killing birds that are that big. ours are 16-18 lbs in southern tennessee. i wonder if their scales are off! lol :laugh:

Spring_Woods

Kentucky has abnormally large sized birds as well.
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Hognutz

25#-28# birds are not uncommon in Wi., either. Especially in the south and the western areas. Not so much in the nothern part of the state. But you do find an occassional big bird up there, as well. Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

magicman

Quote from: jwhunter on April 05, 2011, 10:03:29 AM
i dont know where these guys are killing birds that are that big. ours are 16-18 lbs in southern tennessee. i wonder if their scales are off! lol :laugh:

I'm from East Tennessee and we see birds at a pretty consistant 20 lbs( give or take a pound). I've seen jakes taken that weigh that. First bird I ever harvested was a jake that weighed 17 pounds in Rutherford county.

TnTurk

I've taken several in the 23 to 25 pound range, but most mature gobblers are  round 19 to 21 pounds.

redarrow

BigHooks

I killed a nice bird two years ago here in Tenn. U mite of seen the fan mount it weighted 28 lbs 3 oz. 11.5 beard an 1 3/4 spurs thats the biggest one I've kill.

heathwesley

I am in Central Illinois and it is common to kill birds weighing in the mid 20's - That steady diet of corn and beans may contrbute to that. 

Ol'Mossy

We're lucky if we get any above 22 lbs in Pa

Hognutz

Are you ridin' them or eating them??
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

BigHooks

mason0366

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 05, 2011, 10:07:30 AM
Kentucky has abnormally large sized birds as well.

Sssshhhhhsss what birds!!!