turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WVDNR may be doing something right

Started by Deputy 14, July 03, 2016, 11:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deputy 14

This is part of a yearly survey our DNR puts out that they actually use to help make decisions and regulations with the input of participants. Looks like they may be trying to do away with this "reaping" crap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Happy

Would be all for it. Would love to see rifles banned as well. And anyone caught roost shooting to loose their license priveleges for at least 5 years. Heck I would be fine with banning decoys entirely. Would have more turkeys for sure.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Deputy 14

Yea the rifle garbage needs to go for sure, not only is it dangerous but it's not how turkey are supposed to be hunted. I don't mind traditional decoys, I just prefer not to use them.

Happy

I don't mind the tradition decoys myself. I carry one hen however I haven't shot personally shot a bird over one in four years. I do think far to many people feel like they have to have them in order to be successful. I wouldn't mind giving them up at all if it meant taking fanning with it.

Deputy 14

Yea I quit using one years ago, I carry an inflatable but haven't used it in several years. Seems to cause birds to hang up to often, as thick as everything is here if you can see them you can shoot them, no real reason to have them lol

Ihuntoldschool

Good riddance.  Get rid of the rifles  as well in Virginia and West Virginia. 

Ihuntoldschool

I run into these idiot outs there turkey hunting with a rifle every Spring.  Many of them from out of state. They don't even turkey hunt their own state. No, they will even tell you I come here because "This is one of the few states where you can use a rifle."  Makes me sick. Most of them talk about how they can kill them close or far with that 12 gauge 223 combo they all seem to carry.

Spurs

I personally think mechanical decoys should be held to the same regard as a mechanical call...just my .02. 

Do what's legal until it's illegal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This year is going to suck!!!

WV Ridge Reaper

Haha pretty sad when others have to judge how others hunt

Further more WV should worry about there turkey population not how people hunt,open hunting hours all day,put season back where it was..I could care less if someone wants to hunt with a rifle,if that's how they wanna hunt let em have it..I choice to worry about myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Well I would say banning rifles would help the turkey population out immensely. You can call my oponion judgment all you want. I believe what I believe. If you dont like it then that's your opinion and that's fine with me too.

silvestris

There is no such thing as a "traditional" decoy.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

wvmntnhick

Those that hunt with me know my position on rifles. Didn't own a shotgun during my youth and used a 22 WMR almost exclusively. I've shot turkeys with rifles ranging from the lowly 22 LR all the way up to 30-06. It would be quite hypocritical of me to say that rifles should be banned. I believe there could be some regulations in place as to caliber restrictions and locations of use. To be honest, it scares me a bit to use one here because this area is way more populated. It definitely sucks when you're working a bird and someone slips in and shoots it with a rifle from the other side of the field but they're still acting within the rights of the law. It does make me more cautious about decoy placement but I've not used them much anyway. If they do away with rifles, I'm not broken hearted. If they don't do away with rifles, I'm still not broken hearted. Personally, I don't care how anyone hunts. The state sets the regulations. Agree or disagree, it is what it is. On the plus side, all counties are supposed to have a fall season this year. I'm excited about that for sure.

Marc

I can only use an air rifle in California (which I just might do at some point), but a .223 or even a .17 cal would certainly have increased my success rate this season...  I would be opposed to the use of a rifle for turkey hunting for a number of reasons...  I did not see that question on the form though...

Reaping should probably stay on private property (if at all), and I have a similar position as Spurs does on mechanical decoys (should not be allowed)... 

I wish they had a questionnaire that was similar in California (for turkeys and waterfowl).  At least they are making some attempt to make hunters feel as though they have a voice.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Deputy 14

Well, didn't mean to open a can of worms, while I'm the last person to say what I like is right and you do is wrong, I almost got shot by a rifle years ago, and had a friend almost kill someone with a rifle in a separate incident which is why I don't like rifles in the turkey woods. As for the decoys I look towards peoples safety more than anything, while I don't agree with "stalking" turkey I'll not hate on you for it.

Deputy 14

WV Ridge Reaper, I understand your point clearly, my grandpa hunts with a rifle, while I don't agree with it I keep my mouth shut as its legal at this point.
Aside from this, we need to hook up and hunt this spring.