OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Moving to Pocatello, ID

Started by Eddie12, June 30, 2016, 01:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie12

Just recently found out the Army has provided my family and I a new home or duty station if you will in Pocatello. My report date is in October and I am really excited to move but sad at the same time to leave my home state of WV. I was stationed in WA state for almost 4 years and drove through ID once and thought it was beautiful but have only had minimal time researching that area so far. I love running and gunning spring gobblers and have only hunted easterns. Any and all info regarding the hunting in that area would be very helpful. I am also willing to travel for some good turkey hunting if needed. Thanks!  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
Stoeger M3000

Greg Massey

First THANKS for your service, and good luck with the moving...i hope you find a happy hunting ground..

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I know nothing about the huntin there but I wish you luck and thank you for your service.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Eddie12

Thanks guys much appreciated and your very welcome.
Stoeger M3000

Happy

Thank you for your services and I am sorry that you are not going to be hunting the most challenging and good looking of the turkey subspecies and instead will be forced to hunt those turkeys that look "funny" and and gobble like they don't have a pair either. Can't even grow a good beard for Petes sake.   :) In all honesty tho. Thank you.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

honker22

Check with Hobbes or Cove... they may know a little.  I'd go out on a limb and say the hunting pressure would be pretty minimal out there.  Probably some big farmers/land owners that don't give a hoot about turkeys too.  Good luck andThanks for your service sir!
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Marc

From my understanding you are about to be spoiled...  Some awful good hunting and fishing in your new "home."

I would visit some local sporting goods stores, do a bit of reading, and hope for some PM's from this thread...

While I might not put on your full camo, in your place I would not be hesistant to visit some local land-owners and introduce yourself...  Let them know what you do in this introduction, and ask for access (or where you might have luck obtaining access) for the game species you are interested in pursuing.

As mentioned above, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

codym

I have a couple bird dog friends from up that way. Great upland hunting, great fly fishing, and I hear some pretty awesome mule deer hunting. They aren't turkey hunters so I never asked about that. My best advice is buy you a pointer and a set of waders, you will be in heaven!

WisTurk

I have a friend in Idaho and he seems to always be hunting and fishing almost every weekend.  They have easterns, merriams and rios, so plenty of opportunities there.  Plus all the great big game hunting and more upland shooting than you can shake a stick at.  Congrats on the move!

Eddie12

Thanks for all of the comments and keep them coming. I have never elk hunted before but plan on giving it a shot so that should be interesting and fun.
Stoeger M3000

Brian Fahs

Never been there. Going to montana  next summer to visit some old friends. They hunt Idaho as well.

You sir are going to develop a lot of new bad habits while living there....lol. oportunities for outdoor adventures seem endless there. Thanks for your service.

Roost 1

I have a buddy who just got out of the army and moved back home to Idaho. He killed a monster mule deer last fall. Send me a pm and maybe I can get you 2 guys connected.

dirtnap

You are fixing to move into a paradise.  I spent 17 days there last October elk hunting.  If I wasn't married with 3 kids I would move out that a way.  We hunted with fellas from Montana and Oregon that knew the block of government we were hunting.  The amount of public land out there is tremendous.

You will figure it out. 

Oconeeguy

Spent two years in Pocatello in the early 1980s, so take my experience as somewhat historical, as well as applicable.

Don't remember seeing turkey's in the vicinity in those days. Lots of waterfowl if you get away from the Snake River. Much competition there. Stream valleys feeding into the Snake and the surrounding fields were GREAT for waterfowl and pheasant. Marsh Valley was good to me! Valley to west of Pocy  (Albion???) was also good.

Friends scouted with small airplane and we chased desert mule deer in almost inaccessible terrain along Jarbridge and Bruneau Rivers in SW Idaho.

Lots of game on Federal land, but you better be in shape and don't go alone.

birddogdoc

I'm from Idaho and I make an annual trip there at the 1st of October ever year to hunt birds for 10 days.  Poky has some of the best bird hunting in the country...and there's lots of turkeys!  Lucky!!