turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who hunts fall birds?

Started by Farmboy27, June 22, 2016, 09:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Now that the 2016 spring season is in the books, how many of you guys are looking to kill a bird this fall?  I have hunted fall turkey season since I could hunt and in my early years looked forward to it more than the spring season.  Now days fall turkeys have taken a back seat to harvest time and archery hunting for me but I still hunt them a few days every year. (I'm actually still a 100% on fall birds, killed one every year for 23 years. Was 100% on spring till this year!). I know it doesn't carry the glamor of spring season and a young jake doesn't give the bragging rights that an old gobbler does, but I still enjoy chasing turkeys in the fall! 

JK Spurs

Count me in...love busting up a flock in the fall.
I like my turkey well peppered

Will

Love chasing those fall birds. Now that we have a Winter season I am liking that too. I haven't been as fortunate to kill every fall but there's just something about the calling of Fall birds. The leaves are changing if not falling when our Fall season is in and I like nothing more than an overcast day. Fall birds can be quite chatty!

codym

I have never hunted turkeys in the fall, but I would love to do it with a good dog. Then again I enjoy hunting all birds with a good dog!

Dr Juice

I've hunted fall birds a couple of times. My problem is that it coincides with deer archery season in NY so I usually have my bow in hand in a tree stand.

All The Way!

beakbuster10

I would fall hunt if, it didn't cut into my spring tags. Every state is different but VA gives you 3 tags for the entire year whether you kill them in fall, winter or spring is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mspaci

LI Outdoorsman

I always hunt a few days each fall...sometimes I'm successful..sometimes not but any chance I can chase turkeys I'm grateful no matter what. I've got a good spot scouted on L.I. and its my personal goal this fall to bag a bird on the Island...

ncwoodsman

We don't have a fall season in NC, but I would love to try it sometime. Hopefully we will one day as the turkey population is certainly growing here.

TRG3

While I've hunted spring season for many years, I've never tried it in the fall, mainly because of tree squirrel and bow deer seasons; however, this fall I'm going to give it a whirl. As a result of bow hunting areas for years, I have a good idea of where the birds will be, but I have to do a little homework in determining how to get them to come in. I hope to use the peck order to my advantage in the fall like I do in the spring and try some fighting purrs with a couple of Funky Chicken decoys placed neck-to-neck. It sounds good on paper.

Swampchickin234

We don't have a fall season but I wish we did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quavers59

Fall Hunting is getting tougher in New York! My area is now 2 weeks---down from 6 weeks. Big cut there. I will try again this Fall--struck out last year.

crow

It's hard to put the bow down during the peak of the rut, but I also really like hunting the fall/winter turkey season, it is fun to call turkeys no matter when.

several of my spring hunts this year were more like fall hunts with the toms just clucking a couple of times and coming in to my clucks with very little gobbling on some days.

a good book to read this summer for fall hunting is  "The Education of a turkey Hunter" by
William Frank Hanenkrat

not a how to book, but good information mixed with good story telling
he also used dogs in the fall

BillBlanks

I never really hunted fall birds, only spring.  My family still lives in CT and has a flock that regularly comes on their property.  While visiting for Christmas this year I may bring the bow with me and see if I can bring home a turkey dinner for them.

Mabren2

I've got a boykin, and we went for the first time last year. I definitely plan on doing some more this year. Any time spent with him in the woods is fun, and he absolutely loves it.