OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Adjust drop and cast with shims?

Started by 4n2t0, June 08, 2016, 08:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4n2t0

I would like to adjust the drop and add some cast on to my 535. I recently purchased a 930 that came with a shim kit that I think I can use on the 535. Adding drop is easy enough as the shims are labelled but how can I add cast on? I'm thinking that I should sand the left side of the shim? Use half a shim? Too aggressive? Currently I shoot 6-8" high and 2-3" right at 40 yards.

owlhoot

4n2t0

Quote from: owlhoot on June 08, 2016, 08:57:03 PM
Sights or a scope will fix that .

Yeah I've tossed around the possibility of both those options. I can't justify spending the money on a scope/red dot when the shotgun itself is only worth a couple hundred dollars. I wouldn't mind some sights but I'm worried there won't be enough room for adjustment. I currently have the crappy factory fibre optic sights at their lowest level and I'm still 8" high.

Has anyone had luck with a particular brand of aftermarket sights? I was looking at the TruGlo Pro Series Magnum Gobble Dot but reviews weren't favourable.

Happy

I have  the truglo red dot sight. It has only been on my gun for one year but no complaints so far. Shoot 3.5 inch loads.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 4n2t0 on June 08, 2016, 08:14:45 PM
I would like to adjust the drop and add some cast on to my 535. I recently purchased a 930 that came with a shim kit that I think I can use on the 535. Adding drop is easy enough as the shims are labelled but how can I add cast on? I'm thinking that I should sand the left side of the shim? Use half a shim? Too aggressive? Currently I shoot 6-8" high and 2-3" right at 40 yards.
Maybe you'll find this to be helpful.

"Cast is the windage adjustment on a shotgun. It's a lateral bend in the stock designed to center your dominant eye over the rib. Shooters with wider, rounder faces or narrowly set eyes often need cast, while many thin-faced shooters can shoot uncast stocks (most American gunstocks have no cast, whereas many European guns do). Right-handed shooters need "cast off," a bend to the right; lefties need "cast on." If you want to adjust cast on a pump or a semi-auto shotgun use a toothpick shim. Loosen the bolt and wedge the shim lengthwise along the stock head opposite the direction you want to bend the stock."

In this case, the writer is using a toothpick but you can use a shim, one you have or one you make. I've used pieces of credit cards that I've sanded and cut to shape. It's a matter of fitting and can take some time to get it just right. A little goes a long way.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."