OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do I need?

Started by jbennett, June 07, 2016, 06:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbennett

I'm sure you guys have been asked this a thousand times, but I am wanting to begin the process is making my own calls. I would like to turn some pot calls but need help learning where to start. Other than a lathe what do I need to buy? Thanks for any help you can give.

Josh

WillowRidgeCalls

1. Lathe
2. Good quality tools
3. Wood (start off with something inexpensive that is easy to turn)
4. Surfaces and soundboards (slate, glass, alum.)
5. Glue
6. Finishes
7. Sandpaper
8. Can of corn or beans
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Mabren2

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on June 07, 2016, 11:10:00 PM
1. Lathe
2. Good quality tools
3. Wood (start off with something inexpensive that is easy to turn)
4. Surfaces and soundboards (slate, glass, alum.)
5. Glue
6. Finishes
7. Sandpaper
8. Can of corn or beans

This is a good list. I'll mention a couple other items that could easily be lumped in with number 2, but since when I started I literally had zero woodworking tools I'll break them out in case you're in the same boat.

You will need to decide how you plan to mount the wood to the lathe. There are options here, but I chose a 4-jaw chuck. You obviously need a way to process your blanks, so for me that was a bandsaw and a drill press. The only other thing I can think of that isn't mentioned above is a good set of calipers to get your dimensions set accurately (throw a notebook in there, because you'll want to record all your measurements as you search for the sound you like).

I suggest looking around for some call making tutorials. There are some great ones out there, and they usually show all the tools used in the process. There are several ways to skin a cat, so find a method that suits you, and buy the tools that will allow you to get started that way. Good luck!

WillowRidgeCalls

More good advice from Madren2. If your just starting out with owning nothing for wood working tools, buy a pair of pants with deep pockets, you'll need quite a few extra $$$ to get started. For quality tools, buy the best you can afford as for a lathe and wood turning tools. If you can't afford very much then also buy what you'll need to keep what you buy working good for you. You may want a good grinder and tool sharpening jig, to keep you tools sharp. Patience is a must in call making, don't expect your first few calls to sound like a turkey should sound, it takes a few built calls before you'll understand what it is that you did to make it sound that way? YES take notes on every call you build, because after the call is finished it's to late to find out what it was that you did to make that call sound so much better? A 1/64 of an inch difference might make a call sound a lot better than one you didn't take that much wood off of a side or bottom of the call? Your hole sizes and placement make a big difference also, so until you find what it is that makes your call sound the way you want it to, KEEP NOTES!!! The same with your strikers. Your stariker is your tuning fork on a pot call, even if your using two piece strikers. You may buy 50 tops and pegs. your tops may weigh 14 to 21 grams even all the same wood type. If your call plays good with a 18 gram striker, but doesn't sound good with a 21 gram or a 14 gram striker you'll wonder why? Find out what length peg works best for you, it might be a 4" or a 4-1/4" ect. Without NOTES you keep wondering why some calls sound good and some don't? Everything done to a call makes a difference, no matter how small it is. That's why you keep seeing the names of certain call makers keep showing up in the "Who makes the best" questions. Those are the guys that pay attention to what they are doing on every call they build.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

outdoors

WELL SAID SCOTT ................
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

West Augusta

If you only want to make a few pot calls you can use a router, a template and a bandsaw.  Not nearly as easy as with a lathe but much cheaper. 

If you go the expensive route, get a good slow speed grinder or bench sander to sharpen your chisels. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.