turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Deep sea fishing near Myrtle Beach

Started by BBD, June 05, 2016, 10:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBD

Not turkey related..sorry!   Got a family vacation to Myrtle Beach soon and would like to take my son out on a deep sea fishing trip while we are there.  I've been looking online but thought I'd ask the guys here on OG.  Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Flounder

Capt. Brad Faulk 910-445-1097. He can hook you up.
Great guy and good with the kids.
Tell him Marlon sent you.
Good luck.

Fullfan

If you are going to be staying near the beach, Surf fishing for sharks is a blast. And it is something that can be done every day. We have our best luck when the tide is going out.  We have fished up and down the east cost and most time have done well. 
Don't gobble at me...

wvmntnhick

I'll second the surf fishing. It's a blast. We surf fish the outer banks every year while there on vacation. One pole gets rigged for sharks, Rays, and skate. The other two get rigged for the smaller stuff closer to shore. Few things better than providing dinner from the ocean.

Britton40

renegade19

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Twisted Sister Marina, formerly known as Captain Dick's, runs sportfishing, and head boat trips throughout the week. The head boat trips are 1/2 day, 3/4, and the all day gulf-stream.

My brother mated on their boats as a kid and we fished offshore out of Murrel's Inlet regularly.

I'd recommend you look into that and go from there depending on what type of fishing you're looking to do and how many hours of fishing you think your son can tolerate.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Fullfan on June 06, 2016, 09:27:14 AM
If you are going to be staying near the beach, Surf fishing for sharks is a blast. And it is something that can be done every day. We have our best luck when the tide is going out.  We have fished up and down the east cost and most time have done well.

Shark fishing is illegal in Horry County (Myrtle beach, Cherry Grove, Surfside and Garden City areas).  They are pretty aggressive about enforcement.

Flounder

Just some things to consider.
Sea legs? Wouldn't want to to send someone out if this wasn't considered up front. You could waste good money. Tell you Capt. Before so he can make recommendations, inshore,offshore or maybe a trip bottom fishing on a reef a few miles out.
I've seen hundreds waste mega bucks and never put hands on a reel.
If it were me I would plan something within sight,10 miles of the beach. And go out from there..
Just thinking bout the kid having a great experience.
Good luck.

BBD

Had great trip to MB but am glad to be back to in South AR.  My son and I did not get to go out fishing though. We had a tripped booked with Crazy Sister Marina on the day before we were leaving and the marina canceled the trip.  We were very disappointed but the wind and tides were both terrible.  We watched several people surf fishing and even walked out on the pier at Garden City. Never saw anyone catch a fish of any kind.  We fished for several hours in the canal at Murrells inlet and were not able to catch any fish on a rod n reel.  Could catch bait by the thousands in a casting net though. 

Flouder, I called and spoke with Capt Brad and he told that with the tides the way they were that I'd be wasting my time and money. He was actually out fishing when I spoke with him and he said they had no caught a fish all morning.  He seemed like a very nice, honest and knowledgeable guy.  I don't see me every making that drive again (959 miles, right at 15 hours) but I did enjoy seeing the east coast.  Was really good to be with my wife and kids for a week.   Big thanks to everyone who replied and offered their assistance, I owe you.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: BBD on June 27, 2016, 12:31:25 AM
Had great trip to MB but am glad to be back to in South AR.  My son and I did not get to go out fishing though. We had a tripped booked with Crazy Sister Marina on the day before we were leaving and the marina canceled the trip.  We were very disappointed but the wind and tides were both terrible.  We watched several people surf fishing and even walked out on the pier at Garden City. Never saw anyone catch a fish of any kind.  We fished for several hours in the canal at Murrells inlet and were not able to catch any fish on a rod n reel.  Could catch bait by the thousands in a casting net though. 

Flouder, I called and spoke with Capt Brad and he told that with the tides the way they were that I'd be wasting my time and money. He was actually out fishing when I spoke with him and he said they had no caught a fish all morning.  He seemed like a very nice, honest and knowledgeable guy.  I don't see me every making that drive again (959 miles, right at 15 hours) but I did enjoy seeing the east coast.  Was really good to be with my wife and kids for a week.   Big thanks to everyone who replied and offered their assistance, I owe you.
There was apparently an offshore "system" of sorts that really jacked things up in the ocean as far as fishing was concerned. This was the worst year we'd had ourselves. The couple days before we got there they had 12-15 foot waves and things went south in a hurry. Prior to that, they said they were hammering the fish. Our last day (Saturday) actually on the beach was the best day of fishing and a lot of that had to do with the changing winds/tides. Water clarity was coming back and you could start to see the fish return to their normal habits. Shame you had a rough go of it and I agree, I'd not drive 15 hours to see the beach either. I love getting there but 6-10 hours depending on traffic kills me too. Couldn't imagine 15 hours.