OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tipping etiquette

Started by Farmboy27, June 04, 2016, 06:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Nicky

Quote from: Roost 1 on June 06, 2016, 10:18:36 PM
The ones I specifically know of are making $150/day. With 9 days guaranteed. 1x1 hunting.
I have never heard of a guide making less than $100/day.
$150 day/ 15 hours= $10/hour. Hard physical work, outside in the rain, snow, sleet, sleeping on a cot, away from their wives & kids. Having to deal with all kinds of personalities on a week-to week basis, and biting your tongue when a doozy comes along. C'mon buddy, if you can't afford or are opposed to the idea of a tip, hunt in your backyard or on the public land close to home. Same as going to a restaurant, if you don't want to leave a tip, cook at home or order takeout. ::)

Roost 1

You guys are hilarious.... I've never hunted 15hrs with a reputable outfitter. If guys know their birds, like they should, which is why you are paying them in the first place. Most of the guided hunts I've been on, which isn't many, have been over in 3hrs or less... $150/3hrs=$50/hr which isn't bad for doing something you live to do!!!

Roost 1

Sounds to me like some of y'all need to dig a little deeper in your pockets and find better quality outfitters or stay in your backyard or public land!!! Once again if you need some referrals to top notch guide service Id be glad to share info!!!

spaightlabs

Quote from: Uncle Nicky on June 07, 2016, 07:15:08 AM
Quote from: Roost 1 on June 06, 2016, 10:18:36 PM
The ones I specifically know of are making $150/day. With 9 days guaranteed. 1x1 hunting.
I have never heard of a guide making less than $100/day.
$150 day/ 15 hours= $10/hour. Hard physical work, outside in the rain, snow, sleet, sleeping on a cot, away from their wives & kids. Having to deal with all kinds of personalities on a week-to week basis, and biting your tongue when a doozy comes along. C'mon buddy, if you can't afford or are opposed to the idea of a tip, hunt in your backyard or on the public land close to home. Same as going to a restaurant, if you don't want to leave a tip, cook at home or order takeout. ::)

This.  Exactly this.

Day starts at 04:00.  Can run until 20:00 or 21:00 if you get caught near a roost and have to wait til full dark to walk out.  Then dinner, and while you sound like a peach to hang out with Roost, it's still 'work' and having to be 'on' and entertain you.

If you can't afford a tip, stay home.

spaightlabs

Quote from: Roost 1 on June 07, 2016, 08:10:56 AM
You guys are hilarious.... I've never hunted 15hrs with a reputable outfitter. If guys know their birds, like they should, which is why you are paying them in the first place. Most of the guided hunts I've been on, which isn't many, have been over in 3hrs or less... $150/3hrs=$50/hr which isn't bad for doing something you live to do!!!

Yeah, and then they just go home and do other stuff, right?

You are a piece of work.

Roost 1

Quote from: spaightlabs on June 07, 2016, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: Roost 1 on June 07, 2016, 08:10:56 AM

Yeah, and then they just go home and do other stuff, right?

You are a piece of work.

You sir, can call me what you want but I assure I have never hunted with a guide that didnt enjoy hunting with me. Any knowledgable guide appreciates a knowledgable hunter. I do quite a bit of guiding every year and have never accepted a dime for it, because its something I love to do. Now maybe a self assessment on your part might be in order for you to understand why "your" guides are having to work so hard...You know if a guy misses 2 or 3 or cant sit still and spooks birds off before the shot, then maybe a tip is in order. Fortunately, I dont have that problem!! Like I mentioned earlier I have had very few guided hunts, mostly self-guided or semi-guided whatever you would like to call it but I have had several offers to come and be a guide for different outfitters. So, yes maybe I am a piece of work as you say.. I could care less what you think of me because I have already formed an opinion of you too. However I will keep that to myself because I was raised better...Good day sir!!!

dejake

Not counting pre-hunt work, if they work 20 minutes, or three days, they get paid the same.

Roost - I'll take you up on your offer: guide me for free next year, and get me on a bird in the first three hours.

dejake

Another note about it being fun, and not work.  I booked a hunt for next year. The season runs through the end of May, but the outfitter/guide doesn't book hunts after mid-May.  Curious, I asked why. His response: "after four weeks I get sick of it".  All of the pre-season scouting, scouting during the hunts, late to bed and early to rise for four weeks straight, I can understand that.  It's hard work.

DC1.

Quote from: dejake on June 07, 2016, 11:29:32 AM
Another note about it being fun, and not work.  I booked a hunt for next year. The season runs through the end of May, but the outfitter/guide doesn't book hunts after mid-May.  Curious, I asked why. His response: "after four weeks I get sick of it".  All of the pre-season scouting, scouting during the hunts, late to bed and early to rise for four weeks straight, I can understand that.  It's hard work.

HaHa! Thats no work! It's Turkey Hunting at it's finest!!!!  :funnyturkey:

beakbuster10

Why'd this become such a big debate? If the guide does an exceptional job an exceptional tip is in order. If a guide does a horrible job then a horrible tip is in order. I don't care if guiding is your job, if you're horrible at it, you're not getting tips and it won't be your job long.
Also I read some posts where guys said guides only have 1 month to make their money. If these guys aren't making anymore than $150 a day for 30 straight days, that's $4650 in a month. Let's say they guide 15 guys in that month that paid $1500 for the hunt and they all tip 20%. That's still only $9,150 in tips and wages. I saw where others said said "if a guide finishes early with his clients what does he go home and do something else?" YES if a guide finishes with his client on the first day he probably can go do something else because there is no way he is a turkey hunting guru on 10 grand a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmboy27

I honestly didn't intend to start this kind of p*#^ing match when I started this thread!  I was asking a question about what to me is a somewhat murky issue. I know that tipping a guide is expected (based on service received of course). I was, and still am, pondering the self guided deal. When I go to a restaurant I tip according to the service I get. But it's much easier to tip well if the food is good. But the waitress has no control over the food quality or the atmosphere of the restaurant. The owner of the restaurant must assure that the quality both the food and atmosphere are good. But I have never once ate a good meal and then asked to see the owner of the restaurant so I could give him/her a tip. I bet most on here have not done this either. We all just assume that the price that they are charging for the meal is enough to cover the cost of it and still put some jingle in their pocket. (If not then they're not in business very long). I have never been shy about tipping those that go the extra mile when they don't have to. But I am on the fence about tipping someone who is just doing the job that he advertised he would do for a set price.

snapper1982

Seems to me there is some confussion of a guide and an outfitter. An outfitter is the owner. He can also be the guide or a guide. I am a guide for an outfitter. I work and do anything within my ability to make sure the person(s) i am guiding get an opportunity. I also do this for a tip. That is my pay. I do not get any monetary compensation from the outfitter. I get free meals and lodging and a place to hunt when/if i have time. Clients come first and i love to do it.

Roost 1

Quote from: snapper1982 on June 07, 2016, 07:20:20 PM
Seems to me there is some confussion of a guide and an outfitter. An outfitter is the owner. He can also be the guide or a guide. I am a guide for an outfitter. I work and do anything within my ability to make sure the person(s) i am guiding get an opportunity. I also do this for a tip. That is my pay. I do not get any monetary compensation from the outfitter. I get free meals and lodging and a place to hunt when/if i have time. Clients come first and i love to do it.

So basically you are doing because you get to hunt... This brings up a sore spot with me.. I'll NEVER hunt with an outfitter that let's his guides hunt before all his clients are finished.. In my opinion this is wrong, wrong , wrong.. I'm not bashing you Snapper but this is just how I feel... I have guys that come to KY to hunt with me, free of charge, and I  won't even shoot a bird until they are done.

Roost 1

Quote from: dejake on June 07, 2016, 11:20:13 AM

Roost - I'll take you up on your offer: guide me for free next year, and get me on a bird in the first three hours.

I can make it happen!!! I like a good hunt swap, what of you have to offer? I got references, if needed!!

Uncle Nicky

Quote from: Farmboy27 on June 07, 2016, 06:58:11 PM
I honestly didn't intend to start this kind of p*#^ing match when I started this thread!  I was asking a question about what to me is a somewhat murky issue. I know that tipping a guide is expected (based on service received of course). I was, and still am, pondering the self guided deal. When I go to a restaurant I tip according to the service I get. But it's much easier to tip well if the food is good. But the waitress has no control over the food quality or the atmosphere of the restaurant. The owner of the restaurant must assure that the quality both the food and atmosphere are good. But I have never once ate a good meal and then asked to see the owner of the restaurant so I could give him/her a tip. I bet most on here have not done this either. We all just assume that the price that they are charging for the meal is enough to cover the cost of it and still put some jingle in their pocket. (If not then they're not in business very long). I have never been shy about tipping those that go the extra mile when they don't have to. But I am on the fence about tipping someone who is just doing the job that he advertised he would do for a set price.

I think that most agree, self-guided is discetionary, but an actual guide who is with you most of the day is probably depending upon a tip. Just my $02 on the subject, but if you go on a self-guided hunt and the outfitter who set it up for you is in contact throughout the day, helps with suggestions on lodging & food, maybe takes you out for lunch or dinner and shows real interest in helping you fill tags, it would definitely not hurt his feelings if you were to give him a little something to show your appreciation for a job well done, I have never seen anyone turn the money down. Hope this helps?