OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tipping etiquette

Started by Farmboy27, June 04, 2016, 06:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbler2577

Went to South Dakota a few years ago with high expectations.  Was invited as part of a group from work and was assured the homework had been done on the outfitter.  Hunted all day for three days and never saw a turkey.  Heard two on the second morning way across a highway on another property.  Saw no sign and no one in our group killed a turkey.  A couple of guys with us were novices but the rest of us are fairly well seasoned turkey hunters used to hunting and killing MS public land birds.  Outfitter told a tale about a snowstorm a couple weeks prior that cause the birds to move off his properties.  I tipped the cook well but the outfitter got no tip from me.  Saw a couple years later where he'd been in trouble for trespassing and baiting on numerous occasions.  Haven't gone on another hunt since without checking into the operation myself.  But generally speaking, I believe in tipping the guide/outfitter.  This year in Texas me and two buddies tagged out (ranch had a 2 bird limit) in one day and our guide got a tip on the side from us in addition to the tip pot for all guides that we also contributed to. 

Planner

Does the etiquette change if the guide is also the owner? I don't go on many paid hunts, but I've heard in other lines of work you don't typically tip of the person is self employed. They set the price necessary to cover the costs of the services, including their income. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 06, 2016, 11:39:45 AM
Quote from: Roost 1 on June 05, 2016, 11:28:42 PM
Guess I just don't understand. I've hunted with many different outfitters, guided and unguided, never gave a tip. All the guides I kno are being paid and paid well. It's figured in the price of the hunt. If I pay for a 3 day hunt and tag out the first day and leave, the outfitters profit just doubled if not tripled plus the guide got paid for all 3 days and only worked one day.. Why tip???

Some guides get paid a nominal daily fee but most work exclusively for tips.
ALL guides depend on tips.

The price of the hunt covers lease costs, food/lodging, and access to quality animals.
It does not cover the effort exhausted to get you an animal, the fuel costs to roost birds/glass them while you're hunting other farms, or the skill/knowledge/calling abilities the guides employ to facilitate your success.

Guides frequently are the difference between success and failure.  If you were "that good" you'd be hunting public on a DIY trip where you don't require access or assistance to be successful in a limited window of time.  They deserve to be recognized and compensated for the skill they demonstrate, the effort they put into success, and the weather conditions they have to endure while doing it.

It's the nature of the business.  I can assure you, you were not discussed in high regard after you left a camp where you did not tip.

You must be workin for the wrong outfitters... Not only have the guides I've hunted with been paid well on a daily basis but they have contracts where the owner has to guarantee them "x" number of days pay whether he has hunters or not... Now I can assure you I've never been NOT welcome back in anyone's camp that I wanted to return too.. Furthermore I don't think you need to question my ability based on who I hunt with or where I hunt. I assure I hunt plenty of public land and very successfully I might add!!

spaightlabs

Guess I just don't understand. I've hunted with many different outfitters, guided and unguided, never gave a tip. All the guides I kno are being paid and paid well. It's figured in the price of the hunt. If I pay for a 3 day hunt and tag out the first day and leave, the outfitters profit just doubled if not tripled plus the guide got paid for all 3 days and only worked one day.. Why tip???

The price of the hunt covers lease costs, food/lodging, and access to quality animals.
It does not cover the effort exhausted to get you an animal, the fuel costs to roost birds/glass them while you're hunting other farms, or the skill/knowledge/calling abilities the guides employ to facilitate your success.

Guides frequently are the difference between success and failure.  If you were "that good" you'd be hunting public on a DIY trip where you don't require access or assistance to be successful in a limited window of time.  They deserve to be recognized and compensated for the skill they demonstrate, the effort they put into success, and the weather conditions they have to endure while doing it.

It's the nature of the business.  I can assure you, you were not discussed in high regard after you left a camp where you did not tip.

Agreed.  Recognize also, the difference between the outfitter and the guide.  The Outfitter owns the operation, he gets the money you pay for your hunt and pays for leases, etc and whatever the guide gets paid.

A turkey guide can only hunt 1 or 2 guys at at a time.  he gets paid by the outfitter for the hunt.  If he gets you tagged out in 1 day on a 3 day hunt he doesn't get any extra from the outfitter and he can't just make a call and get another client into camp.

Tip your guides fellas. They have a few weeks a season to make money...

spaightlabs

Quote from: Roost 1 on June 06, 2016, 08:07:19 PM

You must be workin for the wrong outfitters... Not only have the guides I've hunted with been paid well on a daily basis but they have contracts where the owner has to guarantee them "x" number of days pay whether he has hunters or not... Now I can assure you I've never been NOT welcome back in anyone's camp that I wanted to return too.. Furthermore I don't think you need to question my ability based on who I hunt with or where I hunt. I assure I hunt plenty of public land and very successfully I might add!!

They may have been polite enough to have you back, but I promise non one was 'fighting' to get the guy that doesn't tip no matter what.

Tell me how the outfitter's profit doubles or triples if you tag out early?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Roost 1 on June 06, 2016, 08:07:19 PM

Little defensive there, fella.

No guide in the history of guides wants anything to do w client who doesn't tip.  No quality guide is going to work hard for a client who doesn't. 

If you truly believe your own line of bullsh!t about tipping, please go into a hunt camp on your next trip and disclose that you refuse to tip before the hunt starts and before guides are assigned.  See what you get stuck with.

Roost 1

Well let's start with he don t have to feed me or put me up fior 2 or 3 days. Secondly the guide, who is getting paid for 3 days doesmt gave to work on those days... You guys act like thee outfitters are just barely getting by which isn't the case.. Most of there leases are paid for after the first group of hunters leave, assuming they don't guide deer hunts, if they do then the turkey hunts is pure profit. Guides make the business, any successful outfitter is not gonna have guides working for tips.

spaightlabs

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 06, 2016, 09:15:31 PM

If you truly believe your own line of bullsh!t, please go into a hunt camp on your next trip and disclose that you refuse to tip before the hunt starts and before guides are assigned.  See what you get stuck with.

I like that idea a lot. 

Try it at the restaurant if you aren't gonna tip their too/either.

Roost 1

You guys either have a weird sense of humor or are extremely stupid!!!!! I don't know which it is......
Comparing a waitress or waiter to a hunting guide is like comparing apples to oranges... Maybe y'all should try hunting with better outfitters... Once again I don't know!!!

spaightlabs

Well then go for it Diamond Jim.  Next time you drag your carcass into camp as a sport, make sure everyone knows you aren't gonna tip up front.

Roost 1

I can recommend some top-notch outfitters where tips are NOT expected if y'all would like.

spaightlabs

Just out of curiosity, what would you say is the average price of a 3 day, 2 bird hunt with an outfitter that doesn't expect his guides to get tipped?

Not sure what kind of hotels you get put up at on your hunt, maybe a Ritz Carlton.  If we use kinda an average number and say $100 for room if you aren't at a camp/lodge and let's say $50 a day for food and drink, and that buck fitty doubles his profit you aren't hunting with an outfitter whose guides are making bank.

since you have seen guide contracts, what is a guide making on a 3 day hunt on a per gun basis?

Roost 1

The ones I specifically know of are making $150/day. With 9 days guaranteed. 1x1 hunting.
I have never heard of a guide making less than $100/day.

reynolds243

Personally I hate the whole concept of tipping. If the guy needs to get paid add it to the price of the hunt.  I have X amount of money to spend on hunts each year and I hate to pay X and then be expected to add in $100 more because the guy worked hard.  If you are a good guide or have a good guide ADD IT TO THE DANG PRICE of the hunt.

Just my 2 cents. We tip the duck guys we hunt with each year but still Id rather they just add it to the price of the hunt up front

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

Marc

Quote from: g8rvet on June 06, 2016, 03:36:30 PM
My wife sometimes gets mad at me (when I do not tip), but my motto is the 15-20% is a guideline. I left a $10 tip the other day on a $8 lunch meal and I have left 0 on $50 meals.  If I get effort, I tip.  If I get no effort, I leave no tip and everywhere in between. 

I would get along with you just fine...

As far as tipping a waitress or waiter I will always tip though...  I have left some tips for 2ยข, cause I want the person I am tipping to realize I was NOT happy with the service.

Tipping was supposed to be an extra amount given for exceptional service beyond what is normally expected...  Now it seems were are expected to tip exceptionally for expected service.

I do not tip my doctor, or my mechanic...  But I sure as heck send them more business when they do a good job...

Typically, I tip a guide, and it is always based on effort and honesty.  We have had guides take us out for an 8 hour day trip for 14 hours...  They got tipped well.  I have had fishing guides call it a day after two hours for a 1/2 day trip; no tip.

Duck hunting Canada, our guide (who dropped us off as we requested) came to pick us up around 9 am so that we would not miss breakfast...  We explained we still had birds working and were not done, but he insisted on the fact that we make it back for breakfast...  NO tip.

I work hard for my money, and if I am going to tip, I expect others to work hard for my money as well.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.