OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tipping etiquette

Started by Farmboy27, June 04, 2016, 06:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

It's still 10 months away, but next April I'm headed for Nebraska on a turkey hunt.  The hunt is with an outfitter with food and lodging provided but the hunting will be self-guided. What do you all think about tipping in this situation?  Obviously the cook should get a tip, but as far as everything else?  The outfitter is surely charging what he needs to pay his expenses and still make a profit. And since we won't have a guide, is there really any reason to tip anyone other than the cook?  Just looking for opinions on this! 

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Yes.  Don't be that guy. 

Even if you're self-guided the outfitter will still have fuel cost of driving you around to show you the farms you're hunting, he'll still probably be glassing and roosting birds while you're hunting on other farms, and he should be doing the best he possibly can to ensure you have a good hunt.  All of that deserves a tip.

10% is standard.  As a former guide, there is nothing more aggravating than working hard for a client whether it's behind the scenes or in front, to receive chump change at the end of it. 

JK Spurs

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 04, 2016, 06:35:56 PM
Yes.  Don't be that guy. 

Even if you're self-guided the outfitter will still have fuel cost of driving you around to show you the farms you're hunting, he'll still probably be glassing and roosting birds while you're hunting on other farms, and he should be doing the best he possibly can to ensure you have a good hunt.  All of that deserves a tip.

10% is standard.  As a former guide, there is nothing more aggravating than working hard for a client whether it's behind the scenes or in front, to receive chump change at the end of it.
Agree...I've been on several hunts now both guided/self guided and always tip between $100-$150. I've been fortunate to hunt with some great outfitters and these guys work hard all year to get their clients on birds. They deserve a tip!
I like my turkey well peppered

lmbhngr

Heck... Down in the city you tip the doorman, the guy who calls for the cab, the luggage dude, etc. Guide definitely deserves the tip

tomstopper

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 04, 2016, 06:35:56 PM
Yes.  Don't be that guy. 

I agree. Last year in Ohio, I was self guided but still left the owner a good tip because he drove us all over and was just a good guy. They will also be happier to have you back in future years.

mgm1955

No doubt the correct thing to do.

Marc

I would wait and see how the hunting goes...  If he puts you on birds, and makes some effort to make your stay more enjoyable, then tip him.  If he hands you a map and says have fun, save your money.

I have been on guided hunting trips that I have not tipped on, and had I not been invited as part of a group would have refused to pay on...  Been with fishing guides where the fishing was terrible (due to circumstances outside of the guides control) and we tipped him well (of course that same guide offered us a free second trip due to our lack of success and was extremely reluctant to take our tip).

Personally, I think we as a society have become a bit carried away with tipping.  This is an outfitter, and his job is to provide a nice place to stay, with food and lodging and the opportunity at birds.

I have an optometry office, and my girls work quite hard, and show patients a huge degree of patience and personalized service in fitting frames and lenses with them...  None of them has ever been offered a tip for this extremely personalized service...  But, I digress...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

codym

Quote from: Marc on June 05, 2016, 01:26:57 AM
I would wait and see how the hunting goes...  If he puts you on birds, and makes some effort to make your stay more enjoyable, then tip him.  If he hands you a map and says have fun, save your money.

I agree with this. We went on a semi guided hunt in Texas and the guy had us follow them out in our vehicle showed us the pasture and said good luck. I was more than happy with that but he definitely didn't go out of his way to get us on birds. If this was a fully guided hunt I would have tipped my guide, but I think on a non guided hunt you are paying the outfitter for what you get right? I did tip the cook.

Brian Fahs

If you are self guided I feel your payment for the hunt should suffice. I would hope the outfitter is charging you enough  to cover his expenses and make a profit. Tipping the cook should be in order if the food is good. Maybe offer a gift of a nice call or something the outfitter will remember you by. This of course he does what he says and makes you feel like you had a good hunt.

I have been on a lot of hunts and not all were good. Some exceeded my expectations while others left me wishing I were anywhere but there at that time. Tipping is a personal choice, do what you think is right.

longbeard56

I agree with most of the responses on this post. I almost always tip the guide as well as the cook staff. Even if it 's semi-guided they usually provide you with some support to help make your hunt pleasurable.
longbeard 56/Tenth Legionnaire
Tri-County Longbeards
NWTF Chapter
Southern NJ.

Dtrkyman

I can tell you how not to tip, had a client kill 3 birds in a day and a half in Ne. and he tipped me 50 bux.

People tip waiters 20 percent all the time, this may be high for non guided but certainly not for guided, and absolutely tip based on there effort not success!

Roost 1

Guess I just don't understand. I've hunted with many different outfitters, guided and unguided, never gave a tip. All the guides I kno are being paid and paid well. It's figured in the price of the hunt. If I pay for a 3 day hunt and tag out the first day and leave, the outfitters profit just doubled if not tripled plus the guide got paid for all 3 days and only worked one day.. Why tip???

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Roost 1 on June 05, 2016, 11:28:42 PM
Guess I just don't understand. I've hunted with many different outfitters, guided and unguided, never gave a tip. All the guides I kno are being paid and paid well. It's figured in the price of the hunt. If I pay for a 3 day hunt and tag out the first day and leave, the outfitters profit just doubled if not tripled plus the guide got paid for all 3 days and only worked one day.. Why tip???

Some guides get paid a nominal daily fee but most work exclusively for tips.
ALL guides depend on tips.

The price of the hunt covers lease costs, food/lodging, and access to quality animals.
It does not cover the effort exhausted to get you an animal, the fuel costs to roost birds/glass them while you're hunting other farms, or the skill/knowledge/calling abilities the guides employ to facilitate your success.

Guides frequently are the difference between success and failure.  If you were "that good" you'd be hunting public on a DIY trip where you don't require access or assistance to be successful in a limited window of time.  They deserve to be recognized and compensated for the skill they demonstrate, the effort they put into success, and the weather conditions they have to endure while doing it.

It's the nature of the business.  I can assure you, you were not discussed in high regard after you left a camp where you did not tip.

honker22

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 06, 2016, 11:39:45 AM
Quote from: Roost 1 on June 05, 2016, 11:28:42 PM

Some guides get paid a nominal daily fee but most work exclusively for tips.
ALL guides depend on tips.

The price of the hunt covers lease costs, food/lodging, and access to quality animals.
It does not cover the effort exhausted to get you an animal, the fuel costs to roost birds/glass them while you're hunting other farms, or the skill/knowledge/calling abilities the guides employ to facilitate your success.

Guides frequently are the difference between success and failure.  If you were "that good" you'd be hunting public on a DIY trip where you don't require access or assistance to be successful in a limited window of time.  They deserve to be recognized and compensated for the skill they demonstrate, the effort they put into success, and the weather conditions they have to endure while doing it.

It's the nature of the business.  I can assure you, you were not discussed in high regard after you left a camp where you did not tip.

Ummmmmm yeah ^^^^ what he said
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

g8rvet

My wife sometimes gets mad at me (when I do not tip), but my motto is the 15-20% is a guideline. I left a $10 tip the other day on a $8 lunch meal and I have left 0 on $50 meals.  If I get effort, I tip.  If I get no effort, I leave no tip and everywhere in between. 

Took my Dad on a Pronghorn hunt and we tipped the guide very generously.  He did not put in all that much effort, but was very personable in accommodating my dad and making it a fun hunt for him. 

From all your postings on here, you'll know what to do when you get there. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.