OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has onyone tried to duplicate Nitro Company's Shotshells?

Started by William Brady, June 02, 2016, 09:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Brady

Hello,

Nitro Company turkey loads shoot very well - but are very expensive. Has anyone taken a Nitro Company shell apart and tried to duplicate the same load with the same excellent results/patterns?

Does Nitro Company Blend shotgun powders (completely different shotgun powders) to attain such good patterns into one shell?

BandedSpur

It is impossible in my experience to load a 3" 2 oz HS shell and stay under SAAMI max pressure with the canister powders available to hand loaders. I have tried it with all the slow burners. Unless Nitro Co. has access to powders not available to handloaders, they can't either. And from the lab results I have seen on some of their shells, they don't worry about SAAMI max. But, compliance is voluntary anyway.

William Brady

Thanks for your reply BandedSpur.

I was told (supreme source) that Nitro Company turkey loads do exceed the SAAMI max pressure. However, the SAAMI specs are set so low for MODERN shotguns that Nitro Company's shells work fine in Modern shotguns. I . Have you ever taken a Nitro Company shell apart and tried to identify the exact powder(s), then try to duplicate the load ?

Longshanks

Quote from: BandedSpur on June 04, 2016, 08:18:52 AM
It is impossible in my experience to load a 3" 2 oz HS shell and stay under SAAMI max pressure with the canister powders available to hand loaders. I have tried it with all the slow burners. Unless Nitro Co. has access to powders not available to handloaders, they can't either. And from the lab results I have seen on some of their shells, they don't worry about SAAMI max. But, compliance is voluntary anyway.

For this reason I have experienced over pressure in several of my guns using nitro. Particularly my Xtrema 2 shooting the JH .660 that Nitro recommends. Best safe results I have found are with Hevi 13.

deadbuck

What is it costing you guys to load a hevi shot 12 ga 3 inch 2 oz load? The price of TSS has fallen and I am loading them for $6.50 now.

Longshanks

Quote from: deadbuck on June 04, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
What is it costing you guys to load a hevi shot 12 ga 3 inch 2 oz load? The price of TSS has fallen and I am loading them for $6.50 now.

Have been buying Hevi 13 3/2/7's for 13.99 a box of 5 after rebate. Great patterns, easy to purchase, $2.79 a shell.

allaboutshooting

QuoteHave been buying Hevi 13 3/2/7's for 13.99 a box of 5 after rebate. Great patterns, easy to purchase, $2.79 a shell.

A very good purchase.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BandedSpur

Quote from: William Brady on June 04, 2016, 08:46:52 AM
Thanks for your reply BandedSpur.

I was told (supreme source) that Nitro Company turkey loads do exceed the SAAMI max pressure. However, the SAAMI specs are set so low for MODERN shotguns that Nitro Company's shells work fine in Modern shotguns. I . Have you ever taken a Nitro Company shell apart and tried to identify the exact powder(s), then try to duplicate the load ?

I have not. It is not possible to determine what powder is used by visual inspection only. Some, like Blue Dot, have distinctive identifying characteristics, but others can look very similar but have quite different burn speeds and pressure. And again, it is certainly possible that they have access to powders not available to handloaders that could look very similar to canister powders that are.

BandedSpur

Quote from: deadbuck on June 04, 2016, 10:14:25 AM

Back when HS was reasonably priced, I could load a 3" 2 oz load for around $2/shell. But with HS currently running $38.50/lb, it would cost $4.50/shell just for the shot. You would have around $5.50/shell in them. Definitely not worth it compared to the performance increase of TSS at $6.50/shell.

tha bugman

Quote from: Longshanks on June 04, 2016, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: BandedSpur on June 04, 2016, 08:18:52 AM

For this reason I have experienced over pressure in several of my guns using nitro. Particularly my Xtrema 2 shooting the JH .660 that Nitro recommends. Best safe results I have found are with Hevi 13.
Happened on my single shot 10 ga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honker22

A few years back, a guy on this forum dissected them, and also sent some for lab testing.  He reported the results and I'm pretty sure it did not go over very well with some folks on here.  I can't 100% remember all the details, and I'd probably get the ban hammer if I repeated what "I think" was said.  You might could search for that thread but I'm guessing it was deleted.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: honker22 on June 06, 2016, 02:08:05 PM
A few years back, a guy on this forum dissected them, and also sent some for lab testing.  He reported the results and I'm pretty sure it did not go over very well with some folks on here.  I can't 100% remember all the details, and I'd probably get the ban hammer if I repeated what "I think" was said.  You might could search for that thread but I'm guessing it was deleted.
if I'm not mistaken they were "knowingly"using a load that was on recall from nitro due to a powder variance .....but if you didn't carefully read that post you would think all nitro loads were that hot , or at least some people made it out to be , nitro themselves addressed that situation themselves....publicly

Also a certain group of individuals circulating this information are known ....to bash several amminitiom companies except the one for profit venture ...selling tss shot ....that draws no criticism in thier eyes ....just sayin

Individuals making others look bad in a attempt to make themselves look better is a poor  business venture....
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Longshanks

Quote from: Old Gobbler on June 06, 2016, 05:15:32 PM
Quote from: honker22 on June 06, 2016, 02:08:05 PM
if I'm not mistaken they were "knowingly"using a load that was on recall from nitro due to a powder variance .....but if you didn't carefully read that post you would think all nitro loads were that hot , or at least some people made it out to be , nitro themselves addressed that situation themselves....publicly

Also a certain group of individuals circulating this information are known ....to bash several amminitiom companies except the one for profit venture ...selling tss shot ....that draws no criticism in thier eyes ....just sayin

Individuals making others look bad in a attempt to make themselves look better is a poor  business venture....

The issues that I had were from shells I purchased one season many years ago and could have just been representative of that lot. Didn't shoot any nitro shells after that but would assume they have corrected any issues they may have had in the past.

Old Gobbler

The nitro shells are well known for being "hot " loads it's almost universally known , the thread from ywars ago was a "very hot " lot of shells , I have yet to see a nitro blow up a gun , but I suppose you can't be too safe these days

Ive  shot plenty in my day but I like many others, have moved onto other pastures for a combination of my own reasons , mainly cost and consistency

I forgot on my previous post I was referring to the folks from that nitro thread from years ago , my apologies
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Longshanks

Quote from: Old Gobbler on June 06, 2016, 06:12:32 PM
The nitro shells are well known for being "hot " loads it's almost universally known , the thread from ywars ago was a "very hot " lot of shells , I have yet to see a nitro blow up a gun , but I suppose you can't be too safe these days

Ive  shot plenty in my day but I like many others, have moved onto other pastures for a combination of my own reasons , mainly cost and consistency

I forgot on my previous post I was referring to the folks from that nitro thread from years ago , my apologies

I agree, those were the reasons I moved on as well. POA/ POI was drifting around and a couple of other issues that my gunsmith said were over pressure issues. Cost and consistency were the main factors.