OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you hunt with this pattern??

Started by new2turkey, April 04, 2011, 03:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2turkey

Today I went and shot HEVI-13 1 5/8 oz #6s...

I got 188 in the pre-drawn 12 inch circle, which was also close enough to my tightest part of the pattern to use this circle instead of drawing a 10. I had to shoot 2 shells, and on this I had to compensate because my pattern was to the left and my sights are all the way to the left. Here's the picture, with 47 in the bird above the 12 inch line, I didn't bother counting below.

new2turkey

TrackeySauresRex

Definatly kill em..But I'd fix my sights so there is no compensiation.  :anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

new2turkey

This is a taped 40 yards Tennturkey1  :icon_thumright:.

TrackeySauresRex, I hope to find the funds this year to upgrade my sights, but I dont think that is going to happen

cfrye11

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 04, 2011, 03:30:39 PM
Definatly kill em..But I'd fix my sights so there is no compensiation.  :anim_25:

the only way to fix your windage problem may be with a scope or red dot if you have maxed out adjustable sites. you may also try other shells as different loads may have different points of impact. Some say Hevi13 is known for changing POI.

most guys agree that +/- 100 pellets in a 10" circle is a fine hunting pattern. that means you should not shoot over the distance it takes to get those results.

you look good to go as long as you remember to compensate for the POI.

if you have more questions post in the shooting section as more qualified guys may take notice.

good luck!

guesswho

It wouldn't bother me to hunt with it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

new2turkey

This pattern is a great improvement from the winchesters, and I'm hoping by next year I can get a red dot on it... This year though, I think I'll be crossing my fingers and compensating..

and I think it's both my choke and the shells, because with the remington magnum premiers the pattern centered with my sights all the way to the left.

Now that I'm happy with my pattern, I have to wait another month!  :fire:

harvester

Hognutz

I would nt hesitate to hunt with it. I would, however, get it to shoot where I aimed it. One way or another. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

new2turkey

Quote from: Hognutz on April 04, 2011, 05:30:29 PM
I would nt hesitate to hunt with it. I would, however, get it to shoot where I aimed it. One way or another. :you_rock:

I will see what I can do and see if I can mount a red dot... But I'm not sure that will happen this season... It will happen before next though...  :icon_thumright:.

Red dot users.. Do you leave the sights on the whole hunt?

mossybird

Quote from: new2turkey on April 04, 2011, 05:33:49 PM

I will see what I can do and see if I can mount a red dot... But I'm not sure that will happen this season... It will happen before next though...  :icon_thumright:.

I turn mine on when i hop out my truck. I alsso always keep an extra battery in my vest.

new2turkey

Quote from: mossybird on April 04, 2011, 05:40:23 PM

I turn mine on when i hop out my truck. I alsso always keep an extra battery in my vest.

How often do your batteries last?

mossybird

Quote from: new2turkey on April 04, 2011, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: mossybird on April 04, 2011, 05:40:23 PM

How often do your batteries last?
A VERY long time. I did an experiment and they lasted for 22 hours . I was using Energizer batteries

kamski1151

If that don't kill em he can't be killed. :lol:

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp