OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

They didn't have a prayer...

Started by sixbird, May 21, 2016, 09:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

She was faithful, diligent...She sat through snow, rain, cold...I'd greet her as I passed, just feet away. She seemed in a sort of trance. She never acknowledged me aside from a sideward glance. Still, I felt a connection of sorts.
She was to be honored,a determination I couldn't match. Endurance beyond imagination. I'd think of her before sleep. Was she cold? Was she fearful? Did she understand her place?
One day, there it was...An empty nest, aside from some broken shells. Had a specter visited her in the night? Had she succumbed?
I stepped toward the nest to examine the leavings...An explosion of movement!!!
There she was, feet away, 14 fuzzballs scurrying for the protection of her...Her, valiantly trying to defend her progeny...
I quickly step away and retreat into the house...14! 14! I'm ecstatic!
Of course, it's raining...A cold rain. She's doing her best but she'll need to take them from here. They need food. They need it soon. Without it, they surely die.
I envision her struggling with the decision. Take them through the cold, wet grass or hope they make it another day...
She takes the decision...Ten won't see another day...

sixbird

This is the story of a hen who set within 20 feet of my front window. I could look out of my kitchen and see her, every day.
She sat there 28 days, through all sorts of bad weather.
I'd walk by entering the house every day, within 15 feet of her. She never budged.
Finally hatched them and, of course it was raining a cold rain. That day and half of the next, a cold rain.
She managed to save four of them. I see them in the yard. Little ones scooting around and trying to fly at three days old.
Sad since the last few days have been dry and sunny. Had they hatched a day later, they'd likely have all survived...
Nature is a cruel mother...

GobbleNut

Good stuff, sixbird. 
All of it makes one wonder,..."what could we do to help?".  For the most part, it is unfortunately how the world works. 

Greg Massey

Amen, nature has a way of taking care of itself.

sixbird

As an after thought I might have tried to catch them and tide them over for a couple of days. I'm sure a bad decision, had I done it.
Is what it is. As I said, nature is a cruel mother...
It does make you want to try to do SOMETHING. I knew what was about to happen. It was painfully obvious.
I know some people who don't quite understand us would say it's somewhat mercenary. "I mean, after all, you want them to survive because you want to kill them."
We know different...Sad to see those helpless little things die like that...

SinGin

I have heard experts say that if two eggs make it to one year tbat is a great success. Thats why they lay so many, knowing most wont make it.

born2hunt

Cool thing to witness though.   It does shine light on just how much the weather during hatch time effects our hunting in two years.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

jcranst

lmbhngr

Tugs your heart strings you watched the progress every day. Great story!!

SteelerFan

Dang... Thanks for sharing that.

trkehunr93

Great read, it seems to us at times that nature is cruel but in reality it's the way things are suppose to be.  Nature has its way of keeping things in balance. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Good read. It is heartbreaking to watch what happens in the wild sometimes. It's the way it was designed tho and darned effective at weeding out the inferior and unlucky.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

Quote from: Happy on May 21, 2016, 06:58:20 PM
Good read. It is heartbreaking to watch what happens in the wild sometimes. It's the way it was designed tho and darned effective at weeding out the inferior and unlucky.

Kinda makes you wish Walmart had no roof or heat...

(Lord... I apologize  :))

Happy

There with you bud. You know for a steelers fan you might be alright.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

mgm1955