turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any Thoughts

Started by daddyduke, May 19, 2016, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyduke

The bird i shot this year was only 6-7 yards from me. The only other bird I've shot that close was a hen in the fall that come around me from the back. I shot her at 5 yards, head clean off. This years bird had blood splattered all around him in a circle But didn't have a visible mark on him. While cleaning him found a broken neck but no pellet holes or damage. ????
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

SteelerFan

Scared to death?  ;D

"Concussion grenade" effect from the blast???

THAT'S mystery, for sure

Bill Cooksey

If you still have the carcass, remove the head and put a hose in the base of the neck. Hold the neck tightly around the nozzle and turn on the hose. Bet it looks like a sprinkler. In my experience, there are usually a lot more pellet holes than you see on visual inspection.

Greg Massey

Agree, he has a lot more shot in his head than you can see. I wouldn't worry about it, just be glad you didn't miss. It's like wondering why do some turkeys flop after been shot and some don't..lol

Gooserbat

I started using tss #9 this year and it's amazing how little external damage is done until you pull the hide back and then its amazing how much internal carnage the stuff causes.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dutch@fx4

I wish are laws would loosen up a littel. As I would love to try so e of the tss #9 shot or even the heavy weight 7.5. We are stuck with #4 #5 #6 shot .it works and the winchester long beard has taken the place of federal flight control wad number 5# in my vest.it is nice to play around with new shot..most birds i shoot are less then ten yard's.

Farmboy27

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on May 19, 2016, 07:02:02 PM
I wish are laws would loosen up a littel. As I would love to try so e of the tss #9 shot or even the heavy weight 7.5. We are stuck with #4 #5 #6 shot .it works and the winchester long beard has taken the place of federal flight control wad number 5# in my vest.it is nice to play around with new shot..most birds i shoot are less then ten yard's.
If most are under 10 yards then I wouldn't worry about TSS. Heck, I'd forget about the longbeards and use whatever walmart had on sale.

Hookinembig

It is unbelievable that the DNRs in each state and some people are so uneducated on shot types and density. There is undeniable evidence regarding TSS compared to lead and the effective killing power at distance and with the size of shot you can use to ethically kill a bird. At distances this close it really doesn't matter as Farmboy said but why not allow the best of the best to be used. The goal is to ethically and quickly kill the turkey. The density of TSS is 18 g/cc while lead is around 11 g/cc which is roughly 62% more dense. With this being said a #9 TSS is equivalent to a #4 lead shot. So this means you can shoot a lot more pellets with a tighter pattern.

Also congrats on the bird and if dropped like a stone I don't really worry how it happened you just know your shot did what it was supposed to do!

Happy

One thing I have pondered is safety. I realize that no one should ever get shot but heaven forbid someone gets shot with some of the new tss or even hevishot. I am not trying to down  heavier than lead loads but I wonder if these "accidental" shootings will have a worse outcome than standard lead loads. Just a concern I have.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Happy on May 20, 2016, 07:44:12 PM
One thing I have pondered is safety. I realize that no one should ever get shot but heaven forbid someone gets shot with some of the new tss or even hevishot. I am not trying to down  heavier than lead loads but I wonder if these "accidental" shootings will have a worse outcome than standard lead loads. Just a concern I have.

You know they will. Guy gets shot at from 50 yards away with a load of lead #5's. Sure, he takes a beating but he's probably going to walk away and make it for another turkey hunt down the road. Try the same with a load of #9 TSS and the game changes drastically. As with Happy, I'm not trying to stir the pot. I use the TSS 9's and love them. Won't go back to lead for nothing. It does however change the capability of the gun. Still, it should be legalized nation wide. We should be allowed to use the shot we want.

wvspitndrum

Quote from: Happy on May 20, 2016, 07:44:12 PM
I've thought the same thing Happy ,but then I start thinking about the here in WV the guy that may be scoping out the sounds of my calling with a 30-06  or a .243 etc....that's when I get scared !!!!  I've met 2 guys in my lifetime that took rifle rounds turkey hunting  ,one was missing 2 fingers  and half his hand from a 30-06 from 150 yards while he was running a slate call . The other guy to a 30-30 in his knee from much closer range , both guys very lucky the round didn't reach their torso ! It should never happen but it does , I just hate having to think about here in WV that it could happen with a high powered rifle !!!! :boon:

Happy

Believe me I know what you speak of. Our hunting club in wv is full of rifle packers. In fifteen years of hunting it I have run into 3 fellows other than myself using shotguns. The favored method of hunting the club is what I call the hoot and shoot. One fellow stays back and operates the owl hooter while the other sneaks forward and swats him off the limb with a rifle. Yeah they launch rifle bullets upward. Ethics aside it's stupid and dangerous.

Happy

I just realized I derailed this whole conversation. My apologies to Mr Duke.

wvspitndrum

My apologies also Mr duke !!