OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Totes - Which Do You Prefer, Paracord or Leather?

Started by moonshine, May 18, 2016, 01:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonshine

Hey Guys,

Just curious which (if any) type of turkey tote everyone here prefers, paracord or leather?  I've recently made a couple from leather and paracord (pictured), and to me it seems there are pros and cons to both...

PARACORD PROS:
1.   Lightweight.
2.   Easy to pack.
3.   Inexpensive.
4.   Tough/strong.
5.   Would have a length of rope/cordage (6'-20' strand depending on turkey tote construction technique) if needed.
6.   Can be made in your favorite team colors, camo, etc...
7.   Can be made in several ways (over the shoulder, shoulder/body carry, looped ends, ringed ends, etc...).

PARACORD CONS:
1.   Not a lot of variety (they're all kind of the same).
2.   The "over the shoulder" loop-type (pictured) ties up at least one of your hands.

LEATHER PROS:
1.   Could be bespoke/custom made for the individual user.
2.   Tough/strong.
3.   Traditional-looking (assuming turkey totes have been around for a long time?)
4.   Can be made several ways as well (over the shoulder, shoulder/body carry, looped ends, ringed ends, etc...).

LEATHER CONS:
1.   Heavier than paracord/rope.
2.   Doesn't pack as easily as paracord.

In advance, I appreciate everyone's input!  Please feel free to give input on what you prefer and why!  Just trying to build products that suit the intended users!

www.facebook.com/moonshineleatherworks
www.instagram.com/moonshineleatherworks

sbbow

I like paracord because it packs easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Cooksey

Between the two, I'd pick leather to spread the weight on my shoulder. That said, the one I've used for years is a combination of paracord and neoprene. Light, stows easy and it carries well. Only downside is it was a production item and isn't exactly nice looking. Combine those and make it look good, and you'd have the best of both worlds.

maytom

Neither, I use a blaze orange carry bag by H.S.Strut, keeps the blood off my clothes, and is more safety minded as well.

This is the main reason why I don't use a tote. Who wants all that blood all over their clothes, and then your going to jump in your vehicle?

I prefer leather simply because I think they look more traditional.

moonshine

Thanks for the replies, Guys!  Prices are $20.00 for the paracord and $35.00 for the leather.
www.facebook.com/moonshineleatherworks
www.instagram.com/moonshineleatherworks

wvspitndrum

Quote from: maytom on May 18, 2016, 04:43:05 PM
Neither, I use a blaze orange carry bag by H.S.Strut, keeps the blood off my clothes, and is more safety minded as well.
This !

g8rvet

My duck straps are all paracord.  I like low maintenance and my son is a whiz at braiding them. 

I also used one to haul a turkey 15 feet off the ground so I could keep hunting after my buddy called my first ever for me.  Lots of coyotes and bears in those woods and we were a long way from the truck and had a bird still gobbling fairly close to us after my shot. We did not get him, but my bird was just a swingin, right where he left him.  And my son was pissed when I made him rebraid my lanyard, which was an added bonus! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Farmboy27

I prefer the turkeys legs if I'm close to the truck, the game bag on my vest if I'm not. A turkey in a game bag might not look as cool as one slung over your shoulder, but it's a heck of a lot more comfortable.

g8rvet

I do too, now.  Most of the time, hung over my shoulder.  It just feels good toting him by the legs.  Very long walks, he goes in the vest.  I don't even know where that tote got to.  I think I converted it to a duck strap-which I hardly ever use either. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

yelpaholic

I HAD SOME STRAPS PERSONALIZED FOR MYSELF AND HUNTING BUDDIES OUT OF LEATHER .. I JUST LIKED THE COOL FACTOR... AND IT MEANT SOMETHING TO THEM BEING PERSONALIZED.. BUT THATS JUST ME

wisconsinteacher

Para cord for me.  One end over legs one end over the head with an old bread bag over the head to stop blood from getting all over the place.  I carry it like a duffel bag.

eddie234

I use neither, I've got a tote made by gerber, it's got the plastic handle and ruler on it. I save the plastic bags that my news paper comes in on rainy days. Have an Alaskan game bag for turkeys. Slide the plastic bag over his bloody head, slide it into the game bag and attach the tote.

J-Shaped

Have both leather and paracord, and use both. They are the sling type with one loop for the head and the other for the feet. Both are comfortable, compact and I can see no weight difference in either. I also find this style to be more comfortable than most vests I've used over the years due to how they distribute the weight. I comfortably carried a 20lb+ bird out this year on one for over two miles with no issues.