OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What shells for .410?

Started by cornfedkiller, May 15, 2016, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

I have a 9 year old step daughter that would like to try killing a turkey next spring, but she's pretty small and I doubt she can handle anything more than a .410. 

My dad has a little H&R single shot that I think would fit her perfectly, and obviously I would pattern it and see what it looks like, but I'm not sure what shells to even start with. 

Does Winchester or someone make something for turkeys like they do for the larger gauges?  Would #5 be a good starting point? I know nothing about .410s. 

Roost 1

yelpy

born2hunt

Like said the TSS is the way to go but not real available. 5 or 6 shot is fine, just as any gauge but getting the pattern out of the 410 will be the problem. I know that I didn't have any luck with it. A better option may be to try and find an auto loading 20 to borrow then let her shoot some 7.5 dove loads. They will make quick work of a turkey and really wont kick any worse than a single barrel 410. But if you stay with the 410 than go with the 6s or even 7.5s for highest pellet count and you may get an ok 20-25 pattern. Good luck.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

snapper1982

Quote from: born2hunt on May 15, 2016, 10:16:23 PM
Like said the TSS is the way to go but not real available. 5 or 6 shot is fine, just as any gauge but getting the pattern out of the 410 will be the problem. I know that I didn't have any luck with it. A better option may be to try and find an auto loading 20 to borrow then let her shoot some 7.5 dove loads. They will make quick work of a turkey and really wont kick any worse than a single barrel 410. But if you stay with the 410 than go with the 6s or even 7.5s for highest pellet count and you may get an ok 20-25 pattern. Good luck.

TSS is real avaliable and easy to get. Just have to be willing to get it and all the components and load it. It is by far the best shot for the small gauges.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

born2hunt

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 15, 2016, 11:47:33 PM

TSS is real avaliable and easy to get. Just have to be willing to get it and all the components and load it. It is by far the best shot for the small gauges.

Yeah  I just  meant for loaded shells, not the actual shot. A lot of people including myself dont care to go through the trouble of reloading so if you don't have someone who does your stuck with what's on the shelf. That's why my 410 never saw the turkey woods.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: born2hunt on May 16, 2016, 12:55:08 AM

Yeah  I just  meant for loaded shells, not the actual shot. A lot of people including myself dont care to go through the trouble of reloading so if you don't have someone who does your stuck with what's on the shelf. That's why my 410 never saw the turkey woods.

You'll not find it in loaded shells at all. Only way is to hand load it. The initial startup is the biggest investment. After that, you're golden. Build a shot trap and you can pattern and recycle your shot. I know I'm building one this summer for sure.

Ihuntoldschool

Any high brass #7.5 lead shot will work well inside 25 yards or so depending on your pattern.  Use a full choke.

snapper1982

Quote from: born2hunt on May 16, 2016, 12:55:08 AM

Handloading a shot shell is no different than cooking a meal. You have a reciepe and put the compoents together. For anyone who likes hands on things there is nothing better than to kill a turkey with a shell you loaded. It adds to the hunt in a big way.

If you are sticking to a factory load i would go with 6 or 7.5 shot. Both will have the energy to kill past where the pattern falls apart in a 410.

howl

For factory shells, use the heaviest load of 7.5s you can find. Max range will be 20 or 25 yards. 7.5s will work that close. They can't fit enough of the larger pellets in a shell to hold a pattern.

Ihuntoldschool

3 inch shells, check your regulations on legal gauge and shot size.  Lead  shot #7.5 if legal, use #6 as second choice . 

Greg Massey

I wouldn't mess with the 410 for turkey hunting. Just get a youth 870 and some light load shells and you will have a lot better gun for her to use. That 20 gauge with a light load lead 7 is not going to feel any different to her than 410. You will have more shot also for her margin of Error. You never know in the turkey world, if your going to call up a 2 year old bird or a boss bird, so be more prepared with a little more gun in the 20 gauge. Also you can try a single barrel 20 gauge with a full choke.

Bill Cooksey

Are you concerned about her being able to handle recoil, or is it more an issue of physically supporting the gun? If the former, I'd fall in line with those suggesting a light load in a youth model 20 gauge. It will usually kick less than an H&R .410. If the latter, or both, I'd suggest waiting a year and see if she becomes more able physically as the recoil can really turn a small, tentative kid off. If she's really gung-ho, go with a 20 even if it's a bit tough to handle.

Unless shooting a gas operated .410, there's usually no recoil advantage. The only upside of a .410 is psychological. They see a little bitty shell and figure it can't really hurt too bad. My oldest some was whining for a 12 before age nine. My youngest was tentative. The size of the .410 shells got him over the hump to go ahead and try shooting. Within months he moved himself into a 20 (than God, cause the ammo cost was killing me), and the next year he was using a 12 on ducks.

All that to say, you have a year to prepare. If possible, get a youth model 20 and some ultra-light target loads. Over the next several months, take her to a skeet field a few times. Walk out to low 7, and let her shoot. The recoil will be less noticeable on a moving target, and low 7 is a bird you simply shoot straight at. She'll quickly break some birds, and the recoil worry will dissolve. Take her out to shoot clay targets whenever she is inclined.

Before turkey season, put in a turkey choke and pattern different loads to find a good match, and do this WITHOUT her, and don't talk about different loads. Take her out  and have her shoot a turkey target with target loads. You can make sure the gun really does shoot where she points it, and she'll learn where to hold on a turkey. When you take her hunting, just slip the turkey loads in the gun. She won't expect anything different from what she's already dealt with; she'll shoot straight without a flinch; she'll kill the turkey...and, she'll never notice the gun kicked harder.

fallhnt

I used 7.5 off the shelf for my 1st .410 turkey kill. It worked good. Shot was 15 yrds.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy